SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Review of Lextech 32's and Needle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 09:13 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 RAGE
I just sent in my cluster in to them and it should arrive there this Monday December 2, hopefully it doesn't take more than a month to receive it like you.
I hope they do a good job for you, i really do. when you get it back please post your experience on the review thread and a picture of the inside the needles and how it looks lit for us here as well.
Old 11-29-13, 10:09 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xshurikx
I hope they do a good job for you, i really do. when you get it back please post your experience on the review thread and a picture of the inside the needles and how it looks lit for us here as well.
I will definitely post my review.
Old 11-29-13, 03:00 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I created a thread a while back discussing options for fixing my cluster and needles. I'll be honest that I received three (x3) personal PM's insisting that I look at other options before choosing Lextech. However, two out of three local SC friends had their clusters repaired and they didn't have any complaints. One of them however made a comment about the slow turn around.

Bought the 32 with needle combo April 30th

Cluster shipped to Lextech on May 3rd

Cluster with custom lighting install was shipped back to Tabaka on June 3rd

Received on June 5th

Unfortunately on June 8th after a few days of install, one of the needles wasn't lighting up (RPM). Lextech shipped a new needle and it was received on June 16th. The needle was a bit dimmer than the rest and I was told that a resistor was added. No big deal I guess, it was functional and it's better than being in the dark.

June 27th - A second needle burned out (MPH)

July 16th - Received a repaired needle which worked right away.

October 7th - backlighting started flickering, sent email to lextech... no response

October 12th - Sent a second email with video of strobe backlighting "effect" .... no response

Now I just drive around with a daftpunk disco show on my dash, it's awesome. I just gave up and will provide accurate feedback to anyone that asks. I won't bash them since the SC is old and not supported by many vendors anymore. It's a decent service at fair market value for custom work. You just have to be patient and expect a longer turn around time than expected. In my case the cluster is completely erratic to the electrical work.

If I could do it again, I would have just bought the superled's for the backlighting and dealt with the hot spots. I also would have soldered a new LED behind the needles and called it a day.
Old 11-29-13, 03:17 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I created a thread a while back discussing options for fixing my cluster and needles. I'll be honest that I received three (x3) personal PM's insisting that I look at other options before choosing Lextech. However, two out of three local SC friends had their clusters repaired and they didn't have any complaints. One of them however made a comment about the slow turn around.

Bought the 32 with needle combo April 30th

Cluster shipped to Lextech on May 3rd

Cluster with custom lighting install was shipped back to Tabaka on June 3rd

Received on June 5th

Unfortunately on June 8th after a few days of install, one of the needles wasn't lighting up (RPM). Lextech shipped a new needle and it was received on June 16th. The needle was a bit dimmer than the rest and I was told that a resistor was added. No big deal I guess, it was functional and it's better than being in the dark.

June 27th - A second needle burned out (MPH)

July 16th - Received a repaired needle which worked right away.

October 7th - backlighting started flickering, sent email to lextech... no response

October 12th - Sent a second email with video of strobe backlighting "effect" .... no response

Now I just drive around with a daftpunk disco show on my dash, it's awesome. I just gave up and will provide accurate feedback to anyone that asks. I won't bash them since the SC is old and not supported by many vendors anymore. It's a decent service at fair market value for custom work. You just have to be patient and expect a longer turn around time than expected. In my case the cluster is completely erratic to the electrical work.

If I could do it again, I would have just bought the superled's for the backlighting and dealt with the hot spots. I also would have soldered a new LED behind the needles and called it a day.
Well I am glad you are providing accurate feedback. do me a favor if you have it in you take off the face and show up a picture of the leds. also you can buy the one i got and you will not have hot spots, and i did not solder them i just used the sockets connector (minus bulb) to hold the wire in place easy enough
Old 11-29-13, 04:40 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
(and I haven't built, owned, nor done anything LLS related in many years so get your facts straight please) nothing to see here so I'm moving on.
If this is the case could it be that whomever is doing these now is taking short-cuts?
Old 11-30-13, 12:47 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WAIT. a lextech cluster has a ****ty led strip in it and jimmy rigged needles? WOW.. for 200+ it better be done perfect..
Old 11-30-13, 12:55 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

It looks fine to me...any time you have someone's business do the work for you, you're gonna get over charged. Also when you saw the price of the cluster service why did you not go to super bright let's first? Also my Speedo is off 7 mph according to multiple radars and I did it myself. Seems to just happen.

I agree the 40 day turnaround for a 6 minute job is crap though
Old 11-30-13, 04:38 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sent my cluster to lextech for the white 32/white needle treatment. The needles were barely visible during the day. AFTER I got the cluster and complained how dim they were, I was told that they don't really recommend them for just that reason. Wow, first I had heard of that. Thanks for telling me AFTER The fact. Besides the terribly dim needles, the backlighting started flickering and went dim in pretty short order. The temp gauge read one hash mark high iirc no matter how I reseated the needle. I sold the car with the cluster like that. Lex tech did say that if the cluster was sent back, they would repair it, but after seeing the working product, I was not in a big hurry to send it back. I started researching other cluster options before I sold the car, but never really implemented a permanent solution.
Old 11-30-13, 06:50 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad expearience with LLC , cluster poorly repacked when sent to me, backlighting fixed but speedo needle burned out , speedo off, and one mounting ear broken.
Old 11-30-13, 07:40 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yikes after reading this post idk if i want to send my cluster out to them. I have a few needles that stopped lighting up and was looking to getting them replaced. May have to rethink this out now haha. anybody have comments on that other place that does the leds? Tanin Auto Electronix?
Old 11-30-13, 08:03 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
It looks fine to me...any time you have someone's business do the work for you, you're gonna get over charged. Also when you saw the price of the cluster service why did you not go to super bright let's first? Also my Speedo is off 7 mph according to multiple radars and I did it myself. Seems to just happen.

I agree the 40 day turnaround for a 6 minute job is crap though
Yeah I didn't know that i can put an led strip, i was trying to do it myself by replacing just the leds in the sockets and that wasnt working out. should have done more research first.
Old 11-30-13, 08:33 PM
kkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've come to the conclusion not to use lextech.
Old 11-30-13, 09:25 PM
Lokz
Driver

^^ I was considering to send out my clustor to them thinking that i would get it returned back pretty fast. But if the turn around is soo long and sc300 being my only car, i would rather not. After reading their review of them doing a ****ty job no way in hell i would send out my clustor only to know that my needles dont work agian and clustor goes dim and starts flickering. Just not worth it.
Old 12-01-13, 12:12 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone had a good experience with Lextech?
Old 12-01-13, 04:50 AM
Flygfsh
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Yikes after reading this post idk if i want to send my cluster out to them. I have a few needles that stopped lighting up and was looking to getting them replaced. May have to rethink this out now haha. anybody have comments on that other place that does the leds? Tanin Auto Electronix?
I used Tanin Auto about 2 months ago to get my replacement cluster's odometer reset to current car's actual. I called / emailed them, they sent out the forms via email. I sent them the cluster on a Monday, they received on Tuesday, and had called me on Wednesday afternoon with the report. Because I was traveling, I asked that they not send back till the following week. Had I not asked for the delay, it would have been back to me in under 1 week! Tanin charge including shipping back to me= $75.

Now, I only had my odometer re-calibrated, but their report told me about what bulbs were out, needles flickering , etc. I replaced the bulbs and needles myself without any issues.

I would recommend Tanin as I had a good experience.

Quick Reply: Review of Lextech 32's and Needle