Looks great!
Hope your cluster LED's last longer than mine did
Old 11-28-13, 01:58 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lokz
is it me or looks like your temp gauge is reading hotter than normal lol
definitely reads hotter. it was always in the middle but since i got it back those are the readings.

i know some people has issues after timing belt jobs but i didn't it still read good. and they are hard to adjust because of the little plastic stoppers. either way as long as it doesn't go higher i know i am ok.

as far as lasting longer i am sure they will be ok. also they have a rating of 9-14.5volt and since they are so bright i am going to dim them a little making sure they dont over heat and burn out.

but for 14 bucks, easy to change and not to costly.
Old 11-28-13, 02:15 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You certainly are

(and I haven't built, owned, nor done anything LLS related in many years so get your facts straight please) nothing to see here so I'm moving on.
LAIR, here is a post Right from Lextech forum in 2013. anyone thing i am laying go to lextech.org and look in the forums.

O. L. T.
Administrator
Owner

View Profile

Re: The do's and dont's of buying from LLS, Commonly asked questions answered here
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:00:14 AM »

Do you repair faulty Speedometers and Tachometers?

YES! We have just began to rebuild the motors and motherboards on the motors with great success and as always with any LLS product a lifetime wty. Smiley You can find these repair options in our store. http://lextech.org/osCommerce/index.php?cPath=30

What if I want to use a mechanic or shop to do the work?

Lextech does not knowingly work with third parties. We prefer not to and don't do so without an extensive discussion with the mechanic in question. We work directly with OUR customers. When you stick someone in the middle that can blame the next guy in line for anything that goes wrong, It creates an issue for everyone involved. It's also an issue for us to get an email "MY customer wants his car back by Tuesday, etc..." . Your customer will get his cluster back when we are done. We have a schedule as seen above of 5 business days in shop, not including shipping times, not including weekends. This is only going to cause problems with someone in the middle. So the bottom line is, we don't sell clusters to third parties. Our only exception is with certain shops competent and capable of direct email support if they need help calibrating or if something is damaged in shipping. Most shops just tend to bang and blame and not put forth effort. This is a volatile area for everyone involved and we can eliminate the problems of third parties by simply not dealing with them.
Old 11-28-13, 02:41 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 1992 sc400 with bad needles and some of the bulbs are not working... So let me understand correctly, if I want LEDs I can't buy individual LED to replace them all? It sounds from the back and forth that it iis better to go with strips? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-28-13, 02:52 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
I have a 1992 sc400 with bad needles and some of the bulbs are not working... So let me understand correctly, if I want LEDs I can't buy individual LED to replace them all? It sounds from the back and forth that it iis better to go with strips? Thanks for any help.
if you are referring to back lighting go buy a stip from superbright its 50cm 30 led's cut it in half buy a no solder needed connector for .59cents and pull out your 8 bulbs and just connect the strips to any of those sockets.
Notice: RPM side (+) is on top (-) is on the bottom of the connector
Speedometer side is reverse (-) is on top (+) is on bottom

for needles you can do what lexucan did which is 1 led at the tip and make incognito, or just a whole bunch of leds to light up the whole thing. you will need 1210 size LED's Ebays has 20 for like $6.99 you will need to solder them together and to the connector on the needle.

I am going to do this myself with a cluster i got from a friend and see what i can come up with.
Old 11-28-13, 03:24 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Pm me a link to the needle led bulb.
Old 11-28-13, 04:03 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

I had my cluster, needles and climate controls repaired by Lextech late last year and they came back great. However all but one bulb burned out in the climate control. The cluster is still perfect. Since it is a lifetime guarantee I sent the Climate Control back. Trying to find an address to send back for repair is a joke. You actually have to go through he process putting something new in the cart and going almost to the end of the purchase for a mailing address to appear. Anyway I sent the climate control back on Oct. 8th and followed it up with an email stating I had sent the unit and why.

On Oct 17th I sent an email to Lextech asking for an update. No response. On Oct 21 I basically pleaded for an update. No response. On the 22nd I decided to use a different email address asking fro an update. No response. Then on the 23 I received this response from Lextech
"We are returning your emails but you seem to not get them so sending from this alternate email. The climate looks great and had been through burn in stage so ready to go"

OK seems sketchy but what the hell he's got my climate control and I want it back.

On the 27th still no climate control so I ask when it will arrive. No response.

On Oct. 31 I send another email using the first email address begging for my unit.

On Nov.1 I get this response "Nothing? I'll check and see where in the wilderness it is."

On Nov. 3rd I get this email "wrapped in newspaper with a CF face, I have it back here and no idea why yet, but ut means I know where it is so I can mail it back off tomorrow"

Really didn't he say it was being mailed on Oct. 17?

I send him an email on Nov 3 asking him to email me a tracking # so I can follow it. No response.

On Nov. 6th I send an email again begging him for my climate control.

On Nov. 7 I receive a camera phone pic (no text) of the receipt where it has been mailed. No tracking #.

I receive it on Nov. 9.

Install it on 12th and immediately I see where about 1/4 of the LCD screen is dead. In fairness to Lextech I haven't contacted them about this. I really can't afford to pull it out and send it away for another month.Not really up to waging another war.

I will say that in 30 years of doing business I've never seen such sloppy customer service / communication. It reall is a matter of doing the very least you can.

Last edited by Bankswood; 11-28-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-28-13, 06:12 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read way too many stories about the customer service and shipping nightmares with them and for that reason alone I'd never use them. The "waterfall" needles look like amateur-hour crap, IMO, and there are several options to update/replace the factory needles with far better looking units. The several pictures I've seen of the clusters all appear to be too bright and if it's bright enough to reflect light inside the cluster housing, day or night, it's much too bright to drive with as it kills your night vision.
I go with the idiom, "If you want it done right, do it yourself" unless I absolutely cannot do it. With my moderate skills and electrical knowledge I made my own LED cluster which IMO looked better and controlled light output better than anything I've seen elsewhere. I bought clusters from several different cars (BMW, newer Lexus, Audi, & VW) that had nice lighting, took them apart, and mimicked what I saw in those. I did it, you can too. I spent $80 on clusters, $30 of parts, and spent about 5 hours doing the work with a $30 soldering iron I can use on several other projects. Investing in your skills and tools pays off big!
Nobody is more interested in your satisfaction than you. Do your research, learn about what you are attempting to do, and do it for yourself so that you know it will make you happy!
Old 11-28-13, 06:59 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by Murco
I've read way too many stories about the customer service and shipping nightmares with them and for that reason alone I'd never use them. The "waterfall" needles look like amateur-hour crap, IMO, and there are several options to update/replace the factory needles with far better looking units. The several pictures I've seen of the clusters all appear to be too bright and if it's bright enough to reflect light inside the cluster housing, day or night, it's much too bright to drive with as it kills your night vision.
I go with the idiom, "If you want it done right, do it yourself" unless I absolutely cannot do it. With my moderate skills and electrical knowledge I made my own LED cluster which IMO looked better and controlled light output better than anything I've seen elsewhere. I bought clusters from several different cars (BMW, newer Lexus, Audi, & VW) that had nice lighting, took them apart, and mimicked what I saw in those. I did it, you can too. I spent $80 on clusters, $30 of parts, and spent about 5 hours doing the work with a $30 soldering iron I can use on several other projects. Investing in your skills and tools pays off big!
Nobody is more interested in your satisfaction than you. Do your research, learn about what you are attempting to do, and do it for yourself so that you know it will make you happy!
Murco I am with you. the cluster you see in the later posts is my cluster that i pulled their lights from and put in the super bright ones. also the picture is without the front glass that will make them a little sharper since it has a factory tint. but as i said. I rather it be bright and i can dim than dim and i cant do **** about it.
Old 11-28-13, 07:03 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by k7q
Pm me a link to the needle led bulb.
I rather just put this up here.

Ebay item #151020458275 $6.99 for 20 I bought red and blue but they have just about any color 1210/plcc2

and from superbrightleds.com

High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - NFLS-X3 Natural White $15.95

and you will need a

NFLS10-2CPTH 10mm Flexible Light Strip Solderless Clamp On Pigtail Adapter Interconnect Clamp .59cents
Old 11-28-13, 07:16 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Default If you bought an LLS Cluster Post it

This is just for comparison

If you bought an LLS Cluster please post a picture of how it looks inside.

1) Backlight LED's inside the unit
2) Needles when they are on, and if you can pull them of and show the back even better.

This is just for comparison
Old 11-28-13, 07:46 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

ive been very hesitant to chime in here, because I am here to learn and share info, not to argue and get into beefs.

But if a customer has a complaint of some sort, no mater what your service is, you should try to help him resolve it, you don't attack them , call them a liar, and try to insinuate that they are too stupid to know what they are talking about.

I haven't seen one attempt , even a small one, to help you with your issue.

This is very typical actually and nothing new, anytime someone has made a thread regarding cluster lighting, cluster DIY or has any questons regarding needles or clusters, its the same routine every single time:

-first you get spoken too like YOU don't know what your doing, or YOUR way wont work or YOUR parts are cheap and wont last.

-second you get told to just give it up and don't waste your time, and send it in to the "pros"

Its ALWAYS done with a very snotty,condescending tone, rude, classless , unhelpful and seemingly deceitful at times.

Not once have I seen any real info offered on how to help someone with their cluster problem, or where to get any decent parts, or anything other then what I mentioned above.
Old 11-28-13, 08:49 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
ive been very hesitant to chime in here, because I am here to learn and share info, not to argue and get into beefs.

But if a customer has a complaint of some sort, no mater what your service is, you should try to help him resolve it, you don't attack them , call them a liar, and try to insinuate that they are too stupid to know what they are talking about.

I haven't seen one attempt , even a small one, to help you with your issue.

This is very typical actually and nothing new, anytime someone has made a thread regarding cluster lighting, cluster DIY or has any questons regarding needles or clusters, its the same routine every single time:

-first you get spoken too like YOU don't know what your doing, or YOUR way wont work or YOUR parts are cheap and wont last.

-second you get told to just give it up and don't waste your time, and send it in to the "pros"

Its ALWAYS done with a very snotty,condescending tone, rude, classless , unhelpful and seemingly deceitful at times.

Not once have I seen any real info offered on how to help someone with their cluster problem, or where to get any decent parts, or anything other then what I mentioned above.
Amen, and the condescension makes it far worse. If someone claims to be a "pro" they should act like one...
Old 11-29-13, 09:01 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

I just sent in my cluster in to them and it should arrive there this Monday December 2, hopefully it doesn't take more than a month to receive it like you.

Quick Reply: Review of Lextech 32's and Needle