SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How many miles do you put on your SC yearly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 12:59 PM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles do you put on your SC yearly?

I’ve been going through the threads on here and seeing a lot of really nice work being done to a lot of different SC’s. It got me wondering – are these your everyday cars? How many miles a year do you put on your SC’s on average?

Reason I’m asking – I have a 95 SC400 with 175,000 miles. It runs pretty good, but does need some work. Mechanical issues are relatively minimal – the previous owner mangled the fuel lines, so those will need to be replaced soon. I’m pretty sure the TPS sensor needs replacing as I’m getting an intermittent DTC indicating as much. Those will cost a few bucks, but aren’t cost prohibitive by any means.

If I really wanted to get this thing looking nice, it needs a paint job. I think a Maaco-type paint job would just aggravate me, so I’d rather not go the cheapo route and end up with something I won’t be happy with. Guessing 3K for a new paintjob.
Headlights and taillights either need to be replaced or removed and cleaned up really really good. Headlights are cloudy and both have moisture inside them. I lean towards replacement simply because I like what some of the aftermarket stuff looks like.
For the interior, I’d like to replace all the leather and refinish pretty much everything else – with SEM or something along those lines. Steering wheel looks like crap, wood is faded, one AC vent needs replacing, etc. Plus, I just don’t’ like the doo-doo brown color.
The speedometer is way off and both it and the tach work very intermittently, so I’d probably want those repaired as well. Judging by the ride, I’m guessing the struts need replacing as well.

Bottom line, we’re talking about quite a bit of work and thousands of dollars. This is my everyday car, and I put a lot of miles on it, probably 30K+ per year. I bought it a few years ago for 4K specifically because it was cheap, in decent shape, and gave me a level of performance that I would not be getting in any other new or slightly used car without spending much, much more. I like my car, but I’m having a hard time convincing myself to spend the kind of cash required to do the job right on a car that’s nearly 20 years old and approaching 200K miles.

ANYWAY – I see you guys devoting a lot of work and expense to your SC’s, and they look fantastic. It just got me wondering if these are cars that you drive every day.
I'm just debating whether or not I want to take it to the next level and would appreciate some input, basically.
Old 11-20-13, 01:10 PM
polozlx
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just got mine, but I plan on driving the wheels off of it. I have a 77 Early Bronco (last year) that I spent a grip on, but whenever the suns out I'm driving it. My Racecraft has had entirely too much spent on it, and it's never seen rain, but if the airs cool and dense I'm terrorizing the streets. My new (to me) SC is about to get painted and I plan on DD it. I'm one of those that believe cars were made to drive. I appreciate trailer Queens, but I'm just not that Guy, so chock me up for 7-12K next year
Old 11-20-13, 01:14 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drive mine everyday, all day, for three straight years. I put about 15-16k miles on my car every year.
Old 11-20-13, 01:22 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ same here, about 15-16k
Old 11-20-13, 01:32 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say about 12k miles yearly being that it's my daily driver and my only car lol. My 95 SC300 has almost 124k miles on it. It's nice that you are budgeting and estimating just how much every mod/customization to your SC will be costing you. I tend to do the same to balance between college and future mods.

I agree on the Macco paint job because I also am in need of one. The roof of my car is starting that oxidation process and I don't know how that happened D: Woah, you drive a LOT yearly but your SC is faithful to you and deserves every dime you put into it. Good luck on your journey though whichever you decide

WHY CAN'T THERE BE A WAY TO DRIVE WITHOUT PUTTING MILES ON THE CAR
Old 11-20-13, 01:43 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

5 to 8k if she's lucky. I don't drive her in the winter, rain snow or a cloudy days , but when I do get to drive, its a one pleasing ride !!!!
Old 11-20-13, 01:55 PM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

LOL - yeah, I do drive a lot. My daily commute to work is 55 miles each way, so that's a big chunk of it. I'm hoping to get a job closer to home, in which case my yearly mileage will come down. I will hopefully have that figured out before it comes time to make a decision on the big expenses like paint job, leather, etc, which will be sometime in the spring.
Our next new car will likely be for my wife, so my choice is to take her old car, (09 Scion xB - nice car, more practical than my SC, but not nearly as much fun to drive), or continue to drive mine.
If I continue with mine, I don't want it to slowly continue to fall apart. I want it done right, which means spending quite a bit of cash and basically committing to driving it for another few years.
Old 11-20-13, 02:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Used to be like 8k a year but these days maybe 3k if the weather is nice... I change the oil more frequently than every year though =)
I would not hesitate to keep rebuilding it and drive it until it mechanically falls apart, and I don't think the odometer goes high enough. all the things you have mentioned most of us end up doing sooner or later as they are the cosemtic things that wear. wetsand and polish the lights and see if you still need to get new ones.. or you can try the plastic posliehes but those will wear off every other month but make the lights look new again while its on.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-20-13 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-20-13, 02:35 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well normally I've averaged about 10k miles a year, but this past year my situation changed quite a bit (working from home, riding bike/bus to university/lexus staying in the garage). I've only put on 4,500 since January, might make it to 5,000 by the end of this year.
Old 11-20-13, 02:57 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally don't log many miles due to NYC traffic.

I'd at least consider selling it and getting a lower mileage SC in great condition with nice paint and interior. It can be done without much hassle if you are patient.
Old 11-20-13, 03:09 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

less than 3k this yr
Old 11-20-13, 04:09 PM
Rdockery25
Driver School Candidate

I drive the breaks off mine. Trips to florida, michigan, etc... The mileage isn't the most alarming part of your problems as mine is a 97 sc4 with 230k. Still runs like a champ. With the issues you have, I would have to agree with studiogeek on this one. You would be better off buying another sc with a more desirable color without the issues and you would come out almost cheaper than a paint job. Gives a better platform to work from, especially if the previous owner screwed the pooch on the fuel lines its hard telling what else is a problem waiting to happen. Good luck and hope it helps.
Old 11-20-13, 05:56 PM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

You know, it never occurred to me to replace the entire car.
Honestly, a quality paint job plus the other stuff I'd like to get done would probably run 5k. I could find another one in better shape with fewer miles for that much. And that's not counting the proceeds from selling my current one. Interesting idea.
Old 11-20-13, 06:31 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

My SC is my only car and it's daily driven. 221k and counting. I put about 10k a year on it. Even more if you count one cross-country drive, another one upcoming and undoubtedly more road trips in the future. The investment has been FAR in excess of what it was originally worth and it doesn't bother me a bit. I didn't buy the car to be a weekend-only fun car. I bought it to go to 500k+ miles. Probably more.

The car now feels more like it's got 40k and I'm not anywhere near done modifying and restoring it. Considering the a brand new equivalent of my stopping point would be a CTS-V 6-speed manual coupe or BMW 335i 6-speed manual coupe and the prices those go for new compared to my total investment so far... yeah, I'm not concerned. Plus, like those cars this I-6 engine has ridiculous room for horsepower. The JZ precedes both in that department.

Keep your receipts for permanent modifications and find an insurance company who will honor ALL of them should the worst happen.

Mainly... don't invest huge sums of money into an extremely old car that isn't currently appreciating in value (like the MKIV Supra for instance) unless it puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. Don't feel like it does that while it's mostly stock? Believe me, once you change enough of the major components, freshen things up inside and tighten up the chassis rubber again... it's a very different car.

That's why I'm not worried about the high mileage on mine. I've test driven quite a few $20k-$30k turbo and non turbo sporty compacts recently and while I liked a couple of them, I still wouldn't trade my SC300 for one, high mileage and all.

A second car like a Fiat 500 Abarth would be nice but guess what I'd still be driving most of the time?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-20-13 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-20-13, 08:30 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my car with 82k on it, it's been 4 years and I'm now at 92591 miles. So roughly 2.5k per year.

Quick Reply: How many miles do you put on your SC yearly?