SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Toyota Supra dash in Lexus SC300/400

Old 08-20-15, 01:23 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly why most Supra owners think of SC owners are cheap and have cambered out POS's....

But lets get this back on track.....keep us updated OP on the progress.....A+ for effort
Old 08-20-15, 01:25 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The thing is there are probably twenty nice cars on this board and 100 or more on the Supra board. Those guys take better care of there cars and probably started with a better car to begin with when putting money in it. I spend more time over there for the simple fact that most projects going on over there are being done "right". We have some guys on this board with really nice cars, so don't get me wrong, but some of the stuff I've seen over here for the last couple of years, pitiful. I think a lot has to do with an age difference also. Most of the Supra guys are older than a majority of the guys here. I'd just like to see more of our builds done right instead of just someone building a piece of junk.

Now, since I really got this thread screwed up I think what this guy is doing with the dash is pretty freaking awesome. Me, I prefer the Lex dash but for what he is wanting to do I think it's pretty damn cool. It's also being done right.

Shane
Old 08-20-15, 01:49 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I thought this thread title was a joke at first, then couldn't believe it was bumped with actual photos...

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
when Lexus first came out that was not their objective and performance in power was not what embodied the brand. They were really aiming for a luxury barge with bulletproof dependability where the over-engineering came from which was unheard of during that time. Lexus is just venturing into performance based cars in the last 2-3 years.
I would phrase it a bit differently. Lexus began as a value/reliability based alternative to the German brands, which at the time were known mostly as luxury barges like you said. The past few years with AMG and M-everything horsepower wars going through the roof, Lexus has simply followed suit with the same target squarely in their sights. You can't market a 200-300 HP luxury car as easily these days.
Old 08-20-15, 03:21 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering how rare Supra's are becoming it's not surprising to see people doing them "right", because the people who are buying them are dropping serious cash just to own it, so there's no sense to be cheap now. SC's are all over craigslist. A good portion of them are $2500 or less. There's very few willing to spend the money to fix it up like new, as the cost can be quite high. Factor in the premium gas and it's a losing combination for most people.

Sometimes the desire to constantly fix/upgrade your car just isn't there. When I got mine I was all about fixing it up ensuring it would last, so I did the TB kit and everything that it needed mechanically, then decided to redo the entire audio in the car, and then I kinda just hit a wall and stopped caring for a bit. It's been about a year or so and I'm starting to get back into it again.
Old 08-20-15, 03:22 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
The thing is there are probably twenty nice cars on this board and 100 or more on the Supra board. Those guys take better care of there cars and probably started with a better car to begin with when putting money in it. I spend more time over there for the simple fact that most projects going on over there are being done "right". We have some guys on this board with really nice cars, so don't get me wrong, but some of the stuff I've seen over here for the last couple of years, pitiful. I think a lot has to do with an age difference also. Most of the Supra guys are older than a majority of the guys here. I'd just like to see more of our builds done right instead of just someone building a piece of junk.

Now, since I really got this thread screwed up I think what this guy is doing with the dash is pretty freaking awesome. Me, I prefer the Lex dash but for what he is wanting to do I think it's pretty damn cool. It's also being done right.

Shane
I agree with you on your points about many SC's are being built lately.

Now, to the thread topic. I'm not a fan of the Supra dash as I like the SC one personally but what an amazing job of what he is doing with his project and I look forward to seeing the project finished.
Old 08-20-15, 04:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
But in response to what you said first, I know a lot of people look for performance or power, but when Lexus first came out that was not their objective and performance in power was not what embodied the brand. They were really aiming for a luxury barge with bulletproof dependability where the over-engineering came from which was unheard of during that time. Lexus is just venturing into performance based cars in the last 2-3 years.
I agree with you, KingPhilip, with the limitation of speaking only about the objectives of the US Lexus brand. We know they already had a better performance-minded "SC" with additional creature comforts fully R&D'd in 1992, with the exception of EGR control and a US emissions testing. They just chose not to sell it here.

On topic... I really like the SC dash but this SF project is great confirmation! They were built on the same assembly line after all. Shame the doors won't match it perfectly though.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-20-15 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 10:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

pretty neat determination and work but I don't get all that fuss just to have a supra dash.
the supra dash is arguably the only part of the supra that is not better than the SC, and the leather can start to curl and get wavy near the airbag.... not a big fan except the factory clock makes a nice place to stick a boost gauge, that's about the only thing I like about it.
Old 08-21-15, 10:13 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
pretty neat determination and work but I don't get all that fuss just to have a supra dash.
I don't know if it's any better, but the Supra dash is much more driver-centric, which perhaps appeals to someone wanting a sportier cockpit.
Old 08-21-15, 10:47 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all that work, I think I would rather have a leather or alcantara wrapped dash.
Old 08-21-15, 11:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I don't know if it's any better, but the Supra dash is much more driver-centric, which perhaps appeals to someone wanting a sportier cockpit.
Good thought, it is very cockpit like for sure, especially with those huge automatic shifters it always looked like an airplane or boat throttle control to me, you know grab and push forward.
Old 08-23-15, 02:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Good thought, it is very cockpit like for sure, especially with those huge automatic shifters it always looked like an airplane or boat throttle control to me, you know grab and push forward.
I always thought the automatic SC shifter looked like a ***** lol.

I'll give the dash swapper an A for effort, but that is one area where I feel my SC is superior to the Supra. The dash flat out looks nicer, has neat gauges, nice wood trim, overall the interior is just several steps nicer than a Supra IMO.

As for the people doing hack builds on the SC, well that is what you get when the car themselves go for so cheap. Personally I can't afford to do a NA-T swap "the right way" on my 1992 SC300/5 speed, so it remains stock. I wax it once a month, put some nice wheels on it, and plan to drive it into the ground. Considering it has 90k miles on it and I put 20k miles on it in 3 years, it's going to be around for a while, looking cherry and mostly stock.

As for the "hella-flush" tards lowering their cars 1" off the ground with 225/20/R20 tires on 10.5" wheels, with 20 degree negative camber, they can all go to hell. Don't care if they drive a Lexus, Honda, or a Yugo, they're hacking up good cars and making them undrive-able.
Old 08-23-15, 06:54 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kudos to the guy doing the dash swap! That's gonna look nice and be exceptionally rare!! That is a lot of work and dedication.

A lot of us like changing and modifying our SC's...Many opinions with merit, some without...Let's keep the thread on track...Customizing the SC is what this forum is mainly about...We are all enthusiasts!! Let's remember that!

Perhaps there should be a Frustration with Builds thread to place the many frustrated comments on...As long as it stayed civil...

On topic, again, very nice and rare idea...

SC400TT
Old 08-25-15, 08:51 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That's pretty cool to see a Supra dash in the SC.

I'd rather see an SC dash in a Supra though.
Old 08-25-15, 01:50 PM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the look and the idea. I like both dashes in the SC and Supra. I've thought of doing a dash swap but was looking to newer Lexus dash. but can't wait to see this finished.
Old 08-29-15, 04:03 AM
fyalinks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
That's pretty cool to see a Supra dash in the SC.

I'd rather see an SC dash in a Supra though.
I completely agree! I have a supra, and while the dash seemed cool at first it has grown quite old. I even prefer to see the dash in my cousin's 2000 camry. I just prefer the symmetrical, timeless, classic look of the SC's dash and have been wondering for a long time if it would fit.

Given that the two cars have practically the same chassis (the supra being shorter of course) is it even necessary to cut out the firewall? I haven't seen the SC's engine bay in person but from pictures it looks very similar. I would think the swap should be a straight forward process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Supra dash in Lexus SC300/400