SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

junking your sc300

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 01:26 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

huh, clearly a forum filled with junkyard/part out experts....

You guys have no clue. The SC is a stupid car, because there isn't many left on the roads. You part one out to make a few dollars more [emphasis on FEW] than it would be to get its weight in scrap.

Whats a beat driver seat going to get you? Nada. Radio with dead LCD? Zilch.

All mechanical/electrical can be purchased aftermarket [hell, even most body parts] from places like rockauto for fractions of dealer cost, or USED JY parts off ebay.

Parting out is not worth it, unless you have zero overhead, the room, and you like to punish yourself by working for free. Not to mention time posting online, dealing with people and trips to the post office.

It's lucrative with sought after cars... like S2k's, new Lexus' even 2GS, Acura's, Heavy Duty trucks, electronics.

That's all I spent parting out myself for a couple of years, made good coin, but won't do it again... the amount of BS involved almost makes it painful to do.

Now do that on a few hundred dollar car [in market value]... the price point you sell for is reflected on value of car. When parting out a 2003 S2000, I was able to justify selling motors for 1200$, diffs for 500$, soft tops 700$, because the car was still worth 15k on the market.

Going back to the SC, even if i needed a part for one, I wouldn't consider going to a local guy with a beat up Canadian winter car, but a premium southern US model. Would end up costing me the same as a local one, and be a nicer part. But alas, we're talking 97+ cars with low miles being parted by the pros. You're still at their mercy for premium, WORKING parts...
Old 11-18-13, 05:54 AM
babowc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much do the 98+ conversion parts go for?

gated shifter, 97+ factory aero, vvti 2jzge, cluster, etc?
Old 11-18-13, 07:01 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seems like he have a honda boy
Old 11-18-13, 11:46 AM
GTE4Life
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikef
Looks like it. Just because most old Hondas are not worth anything once they cross the 10 year mark does not mean that all cars are. I believe that the existence of this forum proves that the SC300 is not a "stupid car" and there are many dedicated people who enjoy restoring and keeping these cars alive. I know someone who parted out a bone stock SC400 and made thousands, it was just a 1992, he took his time, was very organized and in the end came out way more ahead than he thought he would. Having witnessed that I now know that EVERY part of these cars will sell, it may take time but they will sell, even if you have to go to FeeBay to sell some of the parts.

I'm sure that someone who parts out Porsches would tell you not to waist your time with that cheap 10 year old S2k. It's just different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-18-13, 01:24 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Seats, can be refurbished (sell for $10)
Dash can be refurbished (VIP style custom wrapped, sell for $50)
ECUs can be repaired (sell for $25 each)
Dif housing can be sold for restoration reasons (sell for $30)
Doors can be sold and are quite rare (sell for $75)
Trim pieces can be fixed and used in VIP interior ($5 each)
Trunk lid ($20)
Fenders ((25)
Steering rack can be rebuilt ($30)
Any engine component can be fixed or repaired ($5 - $100)
Driveshaft ($10)
Wheel hubs ($25)
Windows -windshield ($20)

Those are just estimates if I were to want to scrap my car. Like I said, strip it, and store everything that comes off the car. If the wires aren't salvageable, they are worth at least $5 in scrap as well. I am sure someone in the area is willing to take the car for the scrap price and make cash off what you don't want to. Now if it is a pretzel car with most parts removed, the. Yes scrap would probably be best.
Old 11-18-13, 02:52 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
Not remotely, but thanks for coming out!
Originally Posted by GTE4Life
Looks like it. Just because most old Hondas are not worth anything once they cross the 10 year mark does not mean that all cars are. I believe that the existence of this forum proves that the SC300 is not a "stupid car" and there are many dedicated people who enjoy restoring and keeping these cars alive. I know someone who parted out a bone stock SC400 and made thousands, it was just a 1992, he took his time, was very organized and in the end came out way more ahead than he thought he would. Having witnessed that I now know that EVERY part of these cars will sell, it may take time but they will sell, even if you have to go to FeeBay to sell some of the parts.

I'm sure that someone who parts out Porsches would tell you not to waist your time with that cheap 10 year old S2k. It's just different strokes for different folks.
I like the SC, it's a cool car and loved them forever, but its a 'stupid car' because its a NICHE car. Just like the SC430... there's a million and some people living in my city and maybe 8-10 of those pass through the local selling sites. This forum is filled with enthusiastic members, but don't kid yourselves... there's a TON more people out there that don't care to be on the internet, and will just read about these things or how to fix stuff. The forums are a small piece of the pie.

Just like when forums fill up with complaints about Euro cars breaking down... the same people won't join to applaud the car but will join to complain about issues. Hence "stereotypes" are formed [not the best word, but whatever], so just because there's a concentration of 1000 regular members on here, doesn't mean that there's another thousand people out there actually trying to 'restore' these.

Any 'car guys' on a forum are a different breed, they care for the car. The average joe drives his car and dumps it, and doesn't spend time on the forums.

And the mention of making 2k, again, I clearly stated that OP look over his situation and judge it effectively... if he has the time, the means, and no overhead [as to not add costs], then he should by all means, part it out. IF any one of those are a constraint, he's not gonna have a good time.

And the Porsche guys comment, sure? I guess? A guy that has a huge yard that has a vast variety of cars and willingly spends 20k+ on a smashed porsche for the sake of parting it out, knows the industry well enough as their inventory will show it.

To each his own I suppose... I part out whatever [on the side] to make quick coin for effortless work. When it becomes a PITA, I stop.
Old 12-21-13, 11:13 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I have to agree, don't junk it.

I recently found a 'non running' 92 with only 90 000 miles, I paid only $500 for it and it had tons of parts I needed.

So I was tempted to strip off what I needed, sell a few of what I didn't need and scrap the rest, but instead I did the right thing, I got it running, fixed it up, put some money into it, and flipped it to another SC fan.

last I saw it was cruising off into the Toronto sunset