SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

electrical power cuts out w/ turn signal or brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 04:04 PM
SMP142
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electrical power cuts out w/ turn signal or brake

my g/f picked up an sc400 back in may and the car has been flawless until the past week or so.

When you move the turn signal left or right, the dash and headlights will flicker for a split second. Sometimes it has been bad enough the radio will cut out, my clock will reset, and i get a shutter like car loses ignition. my trac and abs lights will come on then reset. Today i noticed it is doing it with the brake pedal at times.

The battery was new in march and reads over 12.5 volts and my alternator is putting out over 14 at idle. The only thing i have done is install HID's which i thought might be the problem, until i noticed it does it when the headlights aren't even on.

The only post i could find that was similar was on wiki answers and the response was the circuit board in the cluster is bad and needs replaced. Not sure how accurate that info could be though.

I don't want to just start pulling everything apart if someone has experience with this. I drove it home and t did it for the whole first hour and then when i got close to the house it stopped.

any input would be appreciated.
-Brian
Old 10-09-13, 09:43 PM
jdub20tx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sounds like an alternator. It's giving you fair warning. Mine did the exact same thing. I would be riding on the freeway then off on the exit ramp no problem. then I get to the stop light and hold on to the brake everything will go dim or shut off.
Old 10-09-13, 10:17 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Might want to check your grounds in the engine bay since you've already tested the voltage of your battery and alternator. Also check the connectors to the alternator, if there's any rust or oxidation with any of those, it'll give you similar symptoms.
Old 10-10-13, 12:48 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the two above said...

AND definitely install a grounding kit. You can make your own by buying 4 gauge wire from a place like an audio store and some copper terminal/ crimp ends.

My SC used to have trickling electrical issues.... The ENTIRE electrical system would trickle for a second and goes away, nothing actually cuts off besides the radio but it comes back on when the trickling stops. I made a grounding kit and it has since stopped.
Old 10-10-13, 12:53 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

so far sounds like the right track. definitly get your alternator looked at and check your grounds like stated above. also check for shorts in wires and bad capacitors on circuit boards and connections and fuses/links.

Brake: something might be loose or not connected properly. when you apply the brakes or turn everything shifts around a bit and if you have a loose connection you might experience flickering or just failure until things stop moving. knowing your clock/abs/trac resets you lost all power at one point.

blinker: do you know if the steering wheel was replaced? atermarket radio? previous owner might have tried fix cluster lights or swap steering wheel and something isnt right. its best to solder and shrink wrap a spliced wire than twisting ends and elec tape.

I got myself a hks grounding kit from a friend but have yet to use it. anythings better than wire gauge from factory.
Old 10-11-13, 12:46 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed with the above about the negative grounds in the engine bay. Try cleaning the grounds until bare metal is exposed to ensure good contact points since its free. I had the same issue that was resolved by replacing the negative battery cable with a new one from a 93 GS300.
Old 10-21-13, 02:26 PM
SMP142
Driver

I haven't had time to look at anything yet. It has not done this for a week, but I know it will come back. I am going to check out the grounds first before I tear anything apart.
Old 10-21-13, 08:49 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

From personal experience, the voltage regulator can start to go bad, yet the car will start and run fine and only give little warning signs before the battery light starts flashing, orcomes on