SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

car's totalled :( would like some advice about insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 05:04 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default car's totalled :( would like some advice about insurance

So insurance declared my car a total loss, I want to know what i am allowed and not allowed to do if i choose to let insurance take it. They told me I have the choice to let them take the car and pay me full for whatever they declare its worth or I can keep the vehicle and just get the difference of the vehicle and the declared value of the car. What i really want to know is if I can just take my 97 tails off and not put new tails on or whether ill have to replace it with other stuff. I plan to take my transmission mount off, steering rack bushings, door panels, 97 tails, coils, and some other little bits. If anyone who has totaled their SC before have any input it would be much appreciated.
Old 09-30-13, 05:15 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if no one has come by and looked at it, then I would remove all the goodies with a replacement. If someone has come by and taking pictures or a reputable shop, then buy the car back and keep everything. Might be worth your wild, if you can part it out and get twice or triple what the insurance was going to settle with you for. Just food for thought. Or just cut your loss, and walk away. Then purchase another and start over.. Up to you!
Old 09-30-13, 05:15 PM
mjlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you had declared the upgrades to your insurance and the value was changed to reflect the upgrades then it should be ok for you to replace them with stock equipment.
Old 09-30-13, 05:19 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

havent declared any upgrades yet, I had an adjuster look at the vehicle to assess the damage but no one to actually look at it after that. the agent just told me that they are declaring it a total loss and the total loss department will be giving me a call about what I would like to do with the car and how much I am getting. I told the AAA that I will just keep the vehicle for now and let them know whether or not i want them to take it. They tried making me make the decision without me knowhing how much I am getting. he told me its better off to just keep it first and later on tell them that i don't want it.

I don't plan on rebuilding the car since it already has a rap sheet on the carfax, haha, I do believe its been rebuilt twice already prior including being stolen for two years. there is still quite a bit left on the car, motor and transmission are great, ac and ps are just leaking is all. car never died on me, never overheated, my start up problem went away and has been running like a champ and still does.
Old 09-30-13, 06:46 PM
moretoys
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Total loss

Wait and see what they offer you as a total loss. You can work them on the cars value(ask 4 more)
You then can pay salvage value to the insurance as a agreed price probably 400-800 bucks.
You then can part out whatever you want. Good luck
Old 09-30-13, 07:01 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

i just wanted to say hi
Old 10-08-13, 12:54 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Default just got off the phone with insurance

alright heres the case:
3513 if i give them the car
3180 if i keep the car,

Because it was a salvaged title they pulled 2k from the price.
is there anyway i can squeeze them for anymore than this? any help is appreciated.
Old 10-08-13, 01:04 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

keep the car bro, you can fix it or part it out, its your choice, pm me ill tell you what i did with my insurance.
Old 10-08-13, 01:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thats about right it is usually under $500 to get the car back and a little over $300 is not bad at all, and you can decide wether its worth it to have the spare parts I would go for it at that price.
I think there is always room for some negotiation in these things, better to ask than assume there isn't to your insurance it is just another totaled car after all.

and about the tail lights, the correct answer is.. what tail lights??? (insert surprised look here).

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-08-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 01:08 PM
Push
Pole Position

keep the car and pocket the cash... You can help everyone out by parting out your car, or fixing it and enjoy it again!
Old 10-08-13, 01:25 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

alright so i plan to keep the car, so ill just take the 3181, ill probably part the car out if i can't sell the car as a whole on Craigslist, i am just very upset that i couldnt get the 5,500 they told me i could have gotten if it was a clean title. :/

as of right now, I can sell:

Rear bumper
Trunk
spoiler
drivers door (some small dings)
Passenger door some damage by the fender
hinges
window glass
passenger seat (good condition)
rear seats (good condition)
drivers door pocket (broken where switch is)
Passenger (pretty mint) unless i keep it for my next sc
motor and transmission (iffy, never pulled a motor and trans out before)
Washer fluid reservoir
center AC Vent (does have crack)
AC vents
stock shifter
other interior bits
Foglights
corner lights

not usable:
PS pump (leaks)
AC Compressor (Leaks)
AC Condensor (crushed in accident)
Hood
fenders
antenna is broken
headlights destroyed

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 10-08-13 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 01:28 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
alright so i plan to keep the car, so ill just take the 3181, ill probably part the car out if i can't sell the car as a whole on Craigslist, i am just very upset that i couldnt get the 5,500 they told me i could have gotten if it was a clean title. :/
you should be thankful for what you got, dont be greedy now!

yea you might sell the car on clist for a grand, u gotta make it look presentable so dont rip parts off it. but sell the good stuff
Old 10-08-13, 02:55 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I agree you should be thankful for getting the amount you got. That's why you probably paid a low price on the car when you bought it with a salvage title. Nothing to be mad about, it's never a good idea to pay "retail" for a salvage titled automobile, that's the very reason why you're getting less from the insurance company. Good luck with your rebuild or part out.
Old 10-08-13, 03:24 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Definately keep the car for that amount, and then buy a donor car, and start transferring parts.
You'll have more spare parts just in case you need them.
Any pics of the carnage?
Good luck bro!!
Old 10-08-13, 03:31 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

i traded my clean title LS400 for this car, i just had no clue it was going to affect me in the long run. Now i know what to expect though. Anywho, someone offered $800 for the car, I just called my insurance to make sure if i keep the car i get to keep my title status as rebuilt. they said yes so this would save me time and get me money back for the car.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 10-08-13 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: car's totalled :( would like some advice about insurance