Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Passenger door won't open from inside or outside

Old 09-22-13, 10:43 AM
PJSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door won't open from inside or outside

Door handel moves, but no tension. you can hear the actuator when locking and unlocking the door.
Old 09-22-13, 12:12 PM
Brianmoss
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try moving your window up or down in small in crements and use your inside handle to open it.
Old 09-22-13, 01:28 PM
cali108
Rookie

Originally Posted by PJSC300
Door handel moves, but no tension. you can hear the actuator when locking and unlocking the door.
Is that the blue Sc300 5 speed for sale on CL?
Old 09-22-13, 01:55 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds to me like you might have broken the handle "arm" that goes from the exterior handle, down to the latch assembly, inside the door. If that was the case, then you might need an exterior handle latch clip that holds the arm in place. A $5.88 part at most Lexus dealerships.
Old 09-22-13, 04:29 PM
firefly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brianmoss
Try moving your window up or down in small in crements and use your inside handle to open it.
It will not open from the inside.
Old 09-22-13, 04:31 PM
firefly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Sounds to me like you might have broken the handle "arm" that goes from the exterior handle, down to the latch assembly, inside the door. If that was the case, then you might need an exterior handle latch clip that holds the arm in place. A $5.88 part at most Lexus dealerships.
I think this is the case, but we can not get the door open. Is there a way to get the door panel off without opening the door?
Old 09-22-13, 04:33 PM
firefly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cali108
Is that the blue Sc300 5 speed for sale on CL?
It's the green 5 speed on cl, do you know the car?
Old 09-22-13, 08:48 PM
cali108
Rookie

Originally Posted by firefly
It's the green 5 speed on cl, do you know the car?
not really I just saw it advertised, I was guessing on the color...
Old 09-23-13, 04:07 AM
SCstone
Pole Position

I'd just break the window if I was in your situation. clean up as much of the glass as possible and shine a nice light down where the window was, jimmy the bar to open the door then take the inside panel off, clean the rest of the glass, fix the handle assembly(s)... get another window and install it then look for something else to mess with..

or...

I'd also cut a big hole in the door but then i'd have to fix the hole or just get another door. and know forever I don't have an original door, or an original door with a patched hole in it... if this was a ford who cares but it's an SC so this leads me back to the glass plan.

you're selling it anyways right? why not spend a few bucks on a window to have a operating door and increase the chance of it selling? nobody wants a 1 door coupe.
Old 09-23-13, 04:16 AM
PJSC300
Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys, might need to break the window as SCstone suggest. Also forgot to mentioned that I just recently got my Lexus and am new to the form.
Old 09-23-13, 07:41 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

This is the best suggestion, it might be possible without damaging the door or the panel. A little glue will fix the panel pieces.
http://www.planetlexus.com/lexus-for...p/t-16200.html

And, it sounds like your bar probably did break. Don't run to the dealer to get that stuff, over 400 bucks for the entire assembly. Go to the pull yard and get one.

Hope you get in!

Also, keep working the handle. Sometimes, if the connection is just loose, all you need is movement then you can...just...open..the..door!
Old 09-26-13, 09:23 AM
firefly
Driver School Candidate

can you remove the door panel with out opening the door?
Old 09-26-13, 09:27 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

IMO, If I was locked out, before I put a hole in the exterior door, I'd rip the panel into two pieces. Just to put that in perspective. There isn't a way to get past the panel without popping out some staples, or tearing something.
Old 09-26-13, 05:26 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the help guys, might need to break the window as SCstone suggest. Also forgot to mentioned that I just recently got my Lexus and am new to the form.
Don't listen to SCstone, unless you have a perfect door panel (sure you do --- we all do ). Search the STICKYs. I've seen better ways to get into the door parts, but can't remember them right now. Try the threads about 'so your door handle doesn't work'.

Welcome aboard.
Old 09-26-13, 06:58 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

hey now. I was just saying what I would have done in that situation. i'd rather replace a window than a original door panel/door. still might be able to remove everything you can off the door panel like the speakers and door handles and gain access to the handle rods and open the door and save both the door and window. dunno how much you can access without the door open so i didn't mention it. I had this happen in a friends camaro excpet the locks didn't work either so Ididn't have much choice. fixed both handles and replaced window next day no biggie. =)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger door won't open from inside or outside