SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My MKIII Supra turned into a SC !

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 05:31 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My MKIII Supra turned into a SC !

I apologize if this is in the wrong section I'm not sure if this would be an introduction or a post on how I got my SC.

My name is Cody currently in East Texas. Proudly a new member and SC owner. never really joined the ranks here because I havn't personally owned a SC until recently. I've been a Supramania/Supraforum member for years and I've owned 3 MKIII Supra's..When they released the MKIV and SC/Soarer I knew it would be a LONG time before I could afford one, especially a MKIV.. even today I still love the MKIII's but after owning 3 of them and 13 years later I finally got myself an SC. I'd like to share how I ended up with my SC. a little wordy but bare with me and share your thoughts.

My last MKIII was a 86.5 R154 built JDM 7m Targa. Black (white pinstripe) with grey leather Interior. took a long time to find a decent 86.5 shell. I wanted a 86.5 because I prefer the pre89 front grill and tail lights and it's almost exactly the same age as I am. so win-win my perfect supra. actually If I had saved my money and just went JZ and I probably would have registered it as a classic car and keep it for life.....

until...... One night at like 3 a.m, I'm woken by police to be told that a DWI in a Nissan Titan had jumped a curb and into my Supra. If that wasn't bad enough not only did the driver of the Truck not have insurance, I didn't either because It's been an ongoing build. 2 days after I had even welded my downpipe/exhaust and thought "Alright! now all I gotta do is get insurance and slap some stickers on it and go ride into the sunset.." the curb thankfully slowed the truck down but in all reality it definitely would have been totaled. took some time but I got over it.

I browse craigslist daily and I come across a 93 SC300 moonroof Factory-5spd. 97k. Onyx Black (white pinstripe) with grey leather interior, from Florida somehow found it's way to Texas. all of a sudden I felt like that scene on waynes world when wayne looks at that guitar or the girl under spotlight and angels are singing, he says "it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be MINE!"

A buddy of mine liked my ma70 and offerd to buy it. I knew it was a long-shot but we came to an agreement and sold him the Supra and bought a SC exactly like it(sort-of). It'd be cool to buy it back one day, I could just imagine MKIII AND SC both Black with pinstripe. Grey Leather Interior. 5spds side by side!

I buy the SC and finally get the title bonded and insured and my friend wrecks the ma70. most importantly, my buddy was ok. but the Supra got totaled and Impounded with all the parts.. not sure if it was good or bad luck but in the end I got my SC. It really sucked, I put alot of blood sweat and tears into that car and my buddy really liked it alot but **** happens..

Last edited by SCstone; 10-23-13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 05:42 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's quite a story. Congrats on the sc pal.
Old 09-18-13, 05:50 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

On another note, if you were born around 86.5 and still quoting Wayne's World, you are wise beyond your years and apparently cooler than your age would suggest hahaha
Old 09-18-13, 06:01 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, first and foremost, WELCOME. You have picked up a nice one, with already some decent wheels on it. Tell us more about it.

Mileage?
Number of owners?
The "TO DO" List?
Any maintenance receipts?

Everything you need to know about these cars is right here. Nothing more, nothing less, if you have thought of it, it is here somewhere, I assure you.....

Again, Welcome to the poor mans MKIV world, and let the modding begin.
Old 09-18-13, 06:22 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey there, that mk3 looked tired anyway. good find. how much did you spend??
Old 09-18-13, 10:50 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats im sure you'll love the SC more
Old 09-19-13, 07:41 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Classic movie. Classic car. Had to and was definitly how I felt when I saw the SC. I'll post the progress of it here. Thanks for all the reply's so far. Any insight is appreciated.

I'm 3rd owner. I paid $3,000 & $400 wheels/tires.
04/93 Sc300 M/T No. 796.
I got it at 96,800~ miles. and now it's at 101,000~. I got a new water pump and NGK plugs n wires, planning on getting Gates Timing belt soon and just do a whole tune-up. Heated seat,12 disc, cell phone packages Blew my mind to find a cellphone and charger in center consol. it's the old school Motorola! found papers for it in owners manual. It's not a licorice dispencer, but I'll take it!

Unfortunatly i didn't find any service records eccept an invoice from some shop it was taken to once but the service comments all looked good. It was a pain to get the lexus owner booklet from the seller after I bought the car. It took weeks to finally convice him to meet me up somewhere to give it to me. I said he had it and I wanted it. sometimes its the little things.

The L.E.D's on cluster are going out. Speedo, Tach, Temp are all pitch black and flicker from time to time. I've seen some treads about somewhere that fixes these with coice of color but i'll hold off on it for now.

Both inside door handles snapped off at same place. Ive seen it happen to alot of different cars because of ice in the winter. I saw a thread someone replaced them with chrome metal handles out of a newer LS or something. maybe one day. also gives me the chance to be all gentleman-like and walk around and open the door for from outside for girls, and just roll down the window for guys. haha! had a friend actually try and climb out the window, I would have let him but then thought of him scuffing the glovebox with his shoes. I stopped him and told him to reach out and open from outside......

The power anntenea worked fine for like the first few weeks and then one day it made weird nosies and got stuck in the up position, I think I can hear the motor working when the radio turns on, I plan on just getting a new mast and hopfully it'll start working again. the CD changer seems to not work because all I get when I tried to play a CD was Err no matter what I tried.
The Subwoofer was blown and kept buzzing so I disconnected it. maybe get a 10" free-air woofer replacement when I get around to it. they sure picked a nice spot for it to bake for years.

The rear passenger qtr glass was cracked. found a tinted one off a parts car for $35 and swapped it out. theres a small dent right under where the crack was i'm not sure what happened but shouldn't be too hard to pull out but it sure is in a tricky place.

Two of the oem wheels were bent but still held air. They had to go and craigslist'd me some 18" Chrome Enkei LF-10's. I'm not sure of the exact size eccept 18x7. I've seen them in in all kinds of sizes and offsets..I talked the seller down as the tires are all different sizes and the fronts are about half worn already. I plasti-dipped the center's because they were just too much chrome for me. I have my own powdercoat shop and can coat them but that would involve removing the tires and then putting them back on.. That will have to wait until i can get a set of tires. I want to get a decent cheap set to roll around on to minimize use of the good set. I also noticed how bad it needs a drop after getting the wheels on and painted.

One of the first things I noticed on my first test drive was the sloppy steering. there was a strange play-range after turning the wheel like after a turn or switching lanes. so right after I got the wheels I got a new Rack and Pinion for it. It also needed new bushings too so I got some Polys by Ricochet via egay for $40. After installation the Steering problem was 100% gone! however while I was down there I had a chance to look at all the other bushings and i've decited to replace ALL oem bushings I can for Polys/solids. Looks like a mixture of oil-power-steering-brake-fluid-grime from leaks eats/weakens the oem rubber.I saw a small crack in a powersteering line and replaced the line from a set of good Cressida lines I got from a freind ages ago. I saw a thread about replacing them with braided lines and fittings and i'm definitly thinking about it because the line I replaced snaked around the bay for no reason but to heat up and deteroriate. While I was down there I was shocked to find that it has almost no rust and it was originally from Lexus of Orlando, Florida. surronded by saltwater!

There was tons of play in my LCA's and I assume I wont be able to re-align it until I replace the LCA bushings. So I got a LCA & UCA polys from Prothane also via egay for $62. However there is a better kit for $188 that included the rear CA's and sway bar bushings also by Prothane, I didn't get it cuz I was a little strapped for funds at the time so just got the front CA's and i'll get the rest when I can.

The passneger side headlight looks horrible and collects alot of water. both of them have started to yellow. I plan to throw the lights into my powdercoat oven to open em up and clean them and the projector lenses and seal them back up...when I get around to it.

When I first get in and turn the key to the ON pos. I can hear the fuel pump whiring constantly. I'm assuming this is because the fuel tank is strangely right behind the rear seat in the trunk so making it more audiable? most of the car is stock so I doubt it has a walbro or something so is this sound normal?

Last edited by SCstone; 11-16-13 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 07:52 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

It may have a walbro. I never heard my stock fuel pump, but the walbro was like a dentist drill when I turned the key.
Old 09-20-13, 05:28 AM
Elevated
Driver School Candidate

holy **** small world you still with MiMi? Remeber riding in my 1j car when you lived off rundberg? Sent you a pm
Old 09-20-13, 09:40 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice come up bro!!!
Old 09-20-13, 01:42 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Wow! small world! Well as you can see this is what i've been up to. finally joined you in the 2J ranks. I knew joining CL was a good idea haha.

I'll never forget your Cressida. I brought your car up in a conversation with a buddy like a week ago. Infact I mention using your lines you gave me that day in this thread. haha.

sure could use your help more now than ever. once i'm done beefing up the suspension. I gotta do something with this motor.

thanks again CL.
Old 09-20-13, 02:05 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looks like its coming along pretty good, where did you get the blue poly bushing for the rack? keep up the good work.
Old 09-20-13, 03:16 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Ricochet. small company in Californa . you can contact them on their website or visit their ebay store not sure if i'm allowed to post links?

Good quality and comparable to Prothane/energy. supposidly they use a Polyurathane-kevlar mix. and the blue is definitely a plus so why not.

Last edited by SCstone; 11-16-13 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 04:45 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice come up bro...looks like you're going to bring her back to better than new? welcome to the family!

steve
Old 09-20-13, 09:36 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Thanks all for the interest and support. glad to be on board. I'm stoked and look forward to what's to come.

Steve - First things first at the moment. focusing on suspension, ridding myself of oem bushings and arm links. definitely want to make it better than new, but more like making it mine or what I think it should be. ofcourse it will all depend on funds and what I can get a good deal on.

After bushings and end links I'm goanna go for coilovers this time around because i've used alot of different shock/spring setups in the past vs. the adjustability and the way they make coilovers now-a-days it's hard not to. I plan on STANCE or BC. I've always loved anything STANCE makes but I've herd alot of great things about BC and I kinda like rooting for the little guy.

once she's sittin' pretty. it'll be time to put it all to work and get to the motor/drivetrain. Going from having r154-7mgte-LSD to w58-2jzge-open is bothering me but I'll follow priority.

Not quite sure which route yet on either GTE or NA-T. the dilemma is that the GE motor is still in really good condition and once I start this overhaul-tune-up. might as well while the motor is opened up. I'm down for using 7m CPS and R154 and just NA-T but could cut alot of corners and modifying and just get a GTE swap but pretty sure i'll want to go single and then I might as well have built up the NA-T. cances are I'll go NA-T with a TT ecu. if/when the motor dies i'll go GTE.

I've seen so much from both sides it's really hard to decide hopefully my wallet and continued input from CL will help and TIA. I'm starting to feel sorry for the search button.

On a side note, I don't think I've mentioned this yet but I also plan on blasting and powder-coating anything that can hanfle the heat and can fit in my oven.

heres a taste. heatshield for a 2.5 pipe. Semi-gloss black no clear. (different project)

Last edited by SCstone; 10-14-13 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: My MKIII Supra turned into a SC !