SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: How was my first ever write up?
Helpful/Good
76.47%
alright
23.53%
just bad
0%
horrible
5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

OEM volume button to push to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 09:01 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OEM volume button to push to start

Ok so I recently was in my sc and was thinking of shaving off the useless volume button since I can't use the volume for my radio I got the idea to use it as a push to start button when I was reading a thread by another cl member. This whole DIY was done using things i already had, so the cost for me was $0, prices may very for different members, and it took me about 1 day and a half since it was my first time doing this,it is recommended that you disconnect the negative battery cable in the possible case that you short something out.
I WILL be using pieces of other threads and editing them to fit and using a mix of their pics and mine as well for the sake of not having to tear my interior apart to take additional pictures, no intention to thread-jack..All credit goes to cl member 'Scotia' for his write up.

Things Needed:..................electrical tape/Wire taps
solder/ soldering gun.........flashlight
wire/wire cutter of some sort....mini Phillips screw driver
screwdriver......................10mm socket and ratchet
and a place to put screws as to not lose them.

OEM volume button to push to start-dash.jpg
so first you will take out your dash to get to the volume button board.
OEM volume button to push to start-board.jpg
detach this guy from your trim of the center console you will need the screwdriver for this
now you will have to open it up there are 6 mini screws you need to take out of the circuit board.
also some side clips to push in when pulling it out
OEM volume button to push to start-naked.jpg
this is what you will have. you will now need the solder and gun
OEM volume button to push to start-connected.jpg
solder the wires to these (I recommend a thicker wire if possible) it does not matter which because the whole system is one big negative wire (make sure both wires are long enough to go from your center console to the wires under the dash. id say about a foot to be safe)best to hold these wires both to a multimeter and test continuity when you push the volume button to make sure you connected it right.
OEM volume button to push to start-holes.jpg
now I took out the two little blue bulbs and pulled the wire through here, another option is to cut/melt two holes in the side of the plastic casing with the solder gun for the wire to come through. you pick.
now screw the board back in with the mini screws and fish the two wires so you can see them by the pedals.
Old 09-17-13, 09:23 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Next start taking the pieces that are covering the wires from under the steering wheel
first take off lower Black plastic piece, remove screws..
OEM volume button to push to start-20130917_134808.jpg
Metal brace underneath the plastic piece remove the 4 10mm screws...be very careful when removing upper right hand side 10mm by ignition lock cylinder the small panel right there must be unclipped but dont lift up to much as it will make a crease in the leather..ask me how i know
OEM volume button to push to start-20130917_133107.jpg
small leather panel covering screws it has three clips in the back, with a bit of gentle pulling it will come right off
next remove panel that has the trunk release/lock/gas cap release screws along bottom, unplug those wires, carefully remove the clips and remove it all together now you may have to push the seat back and tilt the steering wheel all the way up unless you are extremely small lol You will have to to remove the ac pipe to access the wires you need.
OEM volume button to push to start-20130903_193246.jpg
The wires you are looking for are coming out the back of the ignition lock cylinder
POWER=Black with red stripe
Ignition=Black with white stripe
OEM volume button to push to start-20130917_134449.jpg
follow the wires from the ignition cylinder to this clip then tap into the power wire for the power you need,
OEM volume button to push to start-20130917_134306.jpg
and cut/tap into the ignition wire as this is what you will need to start the car it is your choice if you want it permanently like this or not...if you leave it connected it will still start with key.
wrap/weave one wire around power and the other around ignition,make sure each of your wires are secure and wrap with electrical tape so that they do not separate. Now test to see if it works, you will still need the key in on position but at least you will be the only one knowing how to start your car.
you are done! to put interior back together, do the opposite of taking the interior apart REMEMBER TO BE CAREFUL, if you have any questions, please pm me or just ask below.
Old 09-17-13, 09:40 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Here is the VIDEO of it in action, Please excuse dirty interior/dirty fingernail..It has been collecting dust for a couple of weeks and I had just been fumbling around the engine bay checking fluids.

Youtube Link:
Old 09-17-13, 09:52 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Other sources of reference:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-ignition.html

and also this has been done w/an S2000 pushbutton:

Old 09-17-13, 10:04 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
Other sources of reference:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-ignition.html

and also this has been done w/an S2000 pushbutton:

Thanks for the reply/additional references...but this was to have the same functionality of a push to start, without the obviousness of a button saying engine start lol the fitment of that button is incredibly nice though
Old 09-17-13, 10:44 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much im gonna do this lol
Where in cali are you from?
Old 09-18-13, 12:15 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by 93Gotjuice
Thank you so much im gonna do this lol
Where in cali are you from?
Not a problem, Los Angeles Area #SoCal lol
Old 09-18-13, 03:19 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaker13
Not a problem, Los Angeles Area #SoCal lol
You should do this for me then
Old 09-18-13, 03:29 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

really interesting, I would like to run an s2k pushstart in my car :O so if i get a push start button i can just run wires to the power and ignition and thats it?
Old 09-18-13, 03:31 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply/additional references...but this was to have the same functionality of a push to start, without the obviousness of a button saying engine start lol the fitment of that button is incredibly nice though
idk, either way both threads helped. I on one had didn't plan to push start using my radio button since i still use it. So that S2k button helped.
Old 09-18-13, 03:31 PM
SportC400
Rookie

Nice write up I see you have an aftermarket deck. I still have the stock Nakamichi so my question is would this affect any of the stock settings for the volume button?
Old 09-18-13, 04:52 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by 93Gotjuice
You should do this for me then
Money talks lmao jk Yea maybe when i get some free time i could (School ), would take about an hour or two to do it..also a great way to give back to the sc community

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
really interesting, I would like to run an s2k pushstart in my car :O so if i get a push start button i can just run wires to the power and ignition and thats it?
That's correct, Should be exactly the same thing, haven't had a chance to see the back of a s2k engine start button, but yea since all the button is, is a momentary button you shouldn't have any problem wiring that sucker up!

Originally Posted by SportC400
Nice write up I see you have an aftermarket deck. I still have the stock Nakamichi so my question is would this affect any of the stock settings for the volume button?
Thanks for the feedback! Hmmm never thought about that, my guess would be yes though since the volume button is used to turn your oem radio on, it would interfere with it in some way and i would recommend you to not try it (possibly blowing a fuse, or just affecting functionality of either push to start or radio power on/off) But you CAN wire another button up in a hidden spot if you still want a way to start it without anyone else knowing..Same diy as above just simpler.
Old 09-18-13, 05:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the idea is okay, but this particular execution reminds me of a redneck pickup with a bad ignition switch. Said redneck goes to napa and buys a button that he mounts on the column to start the truck. What this needs to be complete, in my opinion, is a wireless fob that triggers system power when in close proximity to the car. Then, a push button start can be placed in the dash where the key switch is, and the key can be ditched completely.
Old 09-18-13, 06:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I think the idea is okay, but this particular execution reminds me of a redneck pickup with a bad ignition switch. Said redneck goes to napa and buys a button that he mounts on the column to start the truck. What this needs to be complete, in my opinion, is a wireless fob that triggers system power when in close proximity to the car. Then, a push button start can be placed in the dash where the key switch is, and the key can be ditched completely.
and that's exactly what I want. I have had to slow on the modding here lately..

I will have to settle for keyless entry for now.

For the record, I like this mod better than the S2000 button, due to you reusing the stock factory button. The red one just sticks out too much in my book. JMO..
Old 09-18-13, 06:17 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

I just don't care for that switch... Not something I imagine being in a Lexus, or a Toyota for that matter.
What's wrong with being obvious about how to start the car?

Nice write up nonetheless, just wanted to throw the other options into your thread to get ppls creativity flowing..

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 09-18-13 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM volume button to push to start