sqeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 01:36 PM
anatoli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation sqeaking noise

Hello, everyone.
I’m a new kid on the block. I bought my Lexus SC300 1993 with 65 thousand miles a year ago. The car runs excellent. However, lately (when the temperature is below freezing) when I start the car, I hear the squeaking noise coming ether from the power steering pump or water pump or somewhere else. After idling for 5 minutes, the noise disappears. Any suggestions or comments? I greatly appreciate any responses. Thank you!
Old 01-14-03, 01:49 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey anatoli, try this, it might be related to yours.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=59915
I changed the bearing but didn't help much. I'll change the drive belt in next 2 weeks. if it doesn't fix, I'll try to change water pump.
Old 01-14-03, 01:58 PM
Frankinaustin
Driver

Default same noise

I have the same noise AND i have a coolant leak coming from somewhere inside the motor, likly the water pump shaft or water pump seal.

I plan to do an inspection, but I need advise on how to get that dang nut off of the main drive pulley on the crankshaft.

ANyone???
Old 01-14-03, 03:48 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

On my car it was the drive belt idler pulley...
Old 01-16-03, 08:21 PM
jersey1
Rookie

Default Here is the a sure fix

I had the same problem and couldnt figure it out for nothing until my brother (machanic) found out that it was my clutch fan, very easy to change and didnt cost too much from the dealer. I thougt it was my surpentine belt, change that and that didnt work, i thougt it was my altenator. but nop it was that clutch fan. it makes a high pitch crying noise. Notice every one on that link is talking about the pulley and tensioner, but no one said that after they changed it if it worked or not. trust me when i had that problem i just knew that i would find the answer on this forum, but no one had the answer. but thanks again to my bro who is a race car machanic (american cars) saved the day, he always fix me lexus. if this helped you let me know so i can tell him how many CS members he helped out. Holla back!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-03, 10:50 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i already changed 1 bearing and the belt. there is another bearing that i have to change but won't be able to do it for another 2-3 weeks. I shot some wd-40 to see which pulley was squeeking and found the culprit. I have the bearing number so when I change it I will post photos.
Old 01-17-03, 01:42 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Here is the a sure fix

Originally posted by jersey1
I had the same problem and couldnt figure it out for nothing until my brother (machanic) found out that it was my clutch fan, very easy to change and didnt cost too much from the dealer. I thougt it was my surpentine belt, change that and that didnt work, i thougt it was my altenator. but nop it was that clutch fan. it makes a high pitch crying noise. Notice every one on that link is talking about the pulley and tensioner, but no one said that after they changed it if it worked or not. trust me when i had that problem i just knew that i would find the answer on this forum, but no one had the answer. but thanks again to my bro who is a race car machanic (american cars) saved the day, he always fix me lexus. if this helped you let me know so i can tell him how many CS members he helped out. Holla back!!!!!!!!!!
Hmm I think you might be on to something here ..how did he check it to find out ?...is it possible to disconnect the fan for a short period of time to see if the noise goes away ?...I will be looking into this one as well ...the clutch fan cost like about 250-300 dollars huh ?
Old 01-17-03, 03:48 PM
jersey1
Rookie

Default sure fix

No i dont think that it cost that much. and it very easy to change. the way he found out is cause we have one fan for every thing. and when you first start you car. it soundnt run that fast cause the engine is cool. but the fan kept running fast at all times. the is a metel coil in the middle of the fan that spins. and when the engine gets hot the coil expands and grips on to the fan witch turns the fan faster. than normal. it is common logic (no fansy technology in this part of the lex) and thats how he figured it out. you just remove the fan and then unsrew the round thing in the middle of it and that is your cluth fan. its very easy to replace and I have yet to see anyone posting this info in the this site. tell me if this helped you out any.
Old 01-18-03, 02:58 PM
anatoli
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up no more sqeaking noise

Thanks to all replied!
It was the bearing on the idle pulley.
Anatoli
Old 01-18-03, 10:05 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts