SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Random Positive Gestures From Random People When Driving Your SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 09:59 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Random Positive Gestures From Random People When Driving Your SC

How many times have a random person in the street complimented your SC? My SC has a stock pre-'97 body, with minor mods like suspension and wheels, what's funny is, where and whom I get the complements from. I would've taken pics or even vids of the scenario's but, most of them are so random that I don't even have enough time to pull out my iPhone and get to the camera to snap the moment.

The first random moment I got a compliment was; when I went to La Jolla Beach, it's an upscale by the beach neighborhood here in San Diego, with a lot of shops or stores in the vicinity. I just parked my SC at a sidewalk and have just stepped out to light a cigarette, when a homeless guy walking, said; nice ride you have there. I used to have one before I became a drunk. OMG, it was a funny experience but I really felt sorry for the guy at the same time.

The second time was; at an intersection on my way to Target waiting for the green light, another homeless guy, crossing the street, just gave me a thumbs up and pointing at my SC alternately. LOL at 2 homeless guys giving my SC compliments!

And the more usual; I've made it a habit that when I'm driving in the freeway and see bikers on my rear view trying to pass, that I give them space to pass. Usually they'll thank me for it, by waiving their hand, but sometimes I get a thumbs up, instead, while they're alternately pointing at my SC.

And the last I can remember was, getting followed by 2 bikers (yet again) to a gas station when I was about to fill up. And they both stopped, parked their bikes, other guy removed his helmet, went up to me, just to say; your ride looks sick bro. LOL

Not so much of a Honda hater, but when it's either tricked out Acura's or Honda's I see, they seriously try to race me all the time. I don't race, or even like driving fast so I don't even bother with their stupidity and immaturity and just mind my own business. But I get a kick out of it, 'cause it shows that even they, recognize and feel insecure beside an SC.

I wanna see others experiences and pics or vids if you have one of how people complimented our awesome SC's. I'm sure there are a lot more cool stories out there since there's a lot more tricked out or cleaner SC's in CL and in the wild.
Old 07-26-13, 10:18 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I've had one compliment from a guy at an intersection stoplight who said his friend had an SC with a full 2JZGTE 6-speed swap. That's the only one I can recall other than some friends who compliment the car and are always surprised to learn it's twenty years old given its looks. Ah, I did just remember. A couple of weeks ago I pulled up behind an SR20 240SX fastback at a gas station. The guy was a bit stand-offish as he looked at my car before getting into his and flatly said "nice car". "Thanks" I replied. And that was that, lol. He looked about 21.

I don't race either. As for ricers, I get them. Usually older VW Golf and Civic drivers. They give no warning about what they're doing and often ride up on my rear bumper if I'm in the left lane. Drivers of pony cars and other performance vehicles (even Porsches) never do this nor do I get the impression I'm being snubbed by them. I don't challenge them and there is sometimes a mutual acknowledgement. Unlike the ricer crowd.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-26-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-26-13, 10:20 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a few like those. My gf, her bro and I got back from the movies and I was about to get in my car, a guy with a Toyota Supra stops and asks if I have put a 2j in my ride yet. I drive a SC4 with an exhaust and a few other small things, but he did compliment on it.

Another time I was washing my car and a old gentlemen came and said. "I really like this car. I wish Lexus didnt go away from this type of styling" while he was telling me this, he had snot running down his nose. That was gross.

The third time was while I was at work, a guy asked me how I liked driving the SC. He said he wanted to get one for his son.
Old 07-26-13, 10:33 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I don't race either. As for ricers, I get them. Usually older VW Golf and Civic drivers. They give no warning about what they're doing and often ride up on my rear bumper if I'm in the left lane. Drivers of pony cars and other performance vehicles (even Porsches) never do this nor do I get the impression I'm being snubbed by them. I don't challenge them and there is sometimes a mutual acknowledgement. Unlike the ricer crowd.
That's true. It's just plain immaturity and insecurity.

Originally Posted by bigwes
Another time I was washing my car and a old gentlemen came and said. "I really like this car. I wish Lexus didnt go away from this type of styling" while he was telling me this, he had snot running down his nose. That was gross.
Bwahahahaha! ROFL That's hilarious!

I just remembered another one; I was eating at Mickey D's one time, and all of a sudden I see a kid crawling or squatting beside my SC. I walked out and asked him; is there a problem? And he politely said; no man, I was just admiring your set up, the fitment on this thing is incredible. I said thanks, then he hopped in his 240SX. Turns out he wasn't even gonna eat at McDonald's, he just stopped and parked to check out my SC. LOL
Old 07-26-13, 10:47 AM
philz1jay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha my sc is a beater, but i still get compliments, parts store mechanic shops and from random people. I guess the car is a legend and is respected well amongst enthusiast (and bums apparently) lol
Old 07-26-13, 11:02 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get comments, especially when I park and air down and slam my ish! Once at mission beach i stopped to get a burrito and chill, i aired down and went to get a burrito and sat and watched people walking around it. Took attention away from all the costume bikes! But i always get hondas and kids in their e36/46 trying to race me too...i laugh.
Old 07-26-13, 11:27 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I get the finger a lot........
Old 07-26-13, 11:43 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I get comps from co workers a lot, haters flip when can't pass me
Old 07-26-13, 11:50 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I get the finger a lot........
Whatever way "getting the finger" can be interpreted isn't a "positive" gesture; which is the title of my thread. LOL
Old 07-26-13, 11:51 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Whatever way "getting the finger" can be interpreted isn't a "positive" gesture; which is the title of my thread. LOL
Old 07-26-13, 11:53 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

@O.L.T. Ok, my bad, didn't take that into consideration. LMFAO
Old 07-26-13, 11:57 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i got a compliment from a bum as well, but I didnt' have any change to give him but lots of random thumbs up and waves from 240s, hondas other SC's

Last edited by jadu; 07-26-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 11:58 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People always light up when they find out it's manual.
Old 07-26-13, 12:07 PM
YanoYano
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped to grab some sushi near by and couple teenagers walked by and took photos of my car i ran out questioning them on wtf they were doing, they posted my car on instagram with complements on my car. and to top it all off they thought it was a 240sx... lol
Old 07-26-13, 01:01 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always get random compliments or people staring and pointing, even random people giving me thumbs up while driving I could care less about the attention and compliments tho i drive my SC for me because its the car i love

Quick Reply: Random Positive Gestures From Random People When Driving Your SC