SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has the well known "battery drainage" on the SC been discovered?

Old 07-01-13, 10:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC
I have a '96, and the owners manual does reference a possible dead battery if you leave the headlight switch in the auto position. It suggests if the car is to be parked for longer then like a week, to turn the switch to the off position.
THAT was the other one I tried to remember. Thanks for that. Those are the two in the manual.

Well to cut to the chase, as an owner of a chain of car audio stores and 20 yrs experience as an electronics installer and troubleshooter I could find the drain if the car were in front of me, given you think there is another drain somewhere. If it is there I could find it, but the advice I can offer for DIY'ing it is to do it properly by hooking an ammeter to it and puling fuses until the drain goes away. Most decent voltmeters like a Fluke 87iii will read amps up to 5 amps or so and that's all you need if the car is off. You shouldn't be drawing anywhere near 1 amp even if the car has sat for 5 minutes and the system is in sleep mode.
Old 07-02-13, 08:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

my 95 doesn't have that switch for the keyless entry under the dash but my 92 had it.
my 95 does have the auto headlights though, and I have been keeping them off it does seem to help oddly, that and I turn off the steering wheel from moving in/out when the car is parked for a while.

I still stand by the quick disconnect circuit breaker, my battery tender, and if all else fails my big battery charger.
All 3 items are just basically for the SC.. lol.
Old 07-02-13, 12:11 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an odyssey 680 battery in mine, for over a week now, no tender. Car starts fine.

If there is a draw, im not seeing it.
Old 07-02-13, 03:54 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always wondered about this aswell...good thread
Old 07-04-13, 02:49 PM
Str8Six
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this combined with my shoty wire harness....
Old 07-04-13, 04:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I've had this 92 SC400 since new and never had a problem with "battery drainage" in 22 years!
Old 07-05-13, 08:06 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^but, do you have a alarm system??
Old 07-05-13, 09:19 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by megamax
^^but, do you have a alarm system??
Yes, standard equipment on original SC400.
Old 07-05-13, 11:04 PM
tdw
Driver School Candidate

I've only had my SC400 for a few weeks now (this is my first post here btw) and previous owner did report a problem with battery drain. Revamped alternator has seemingly fixed the problem though I've not yet left the vehicle unattended for weeks on end.

My other car is an Audi A4 and I do know that until I turned off the alarm the battery would go flat over a period of some weeks. Now I simply disconnect the battery positive before leaving. Works for me though my partner's old Golf with alarm, never had the same problem.
Old 07-06-13, 11:52 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tdw
I've only had my SC400 for a few weeks now (this is my first post here btw) and previous owner did report a problem with battery drain. Revamped alternator has seemingly fixed the problem though I've not yet left the vehicle unattended for weeks on end.
Which makes me think about the diode packs. Are they an often failure in the SC? We might never know...

I got a 12 volt circuit breaker for my battery. Wasn't very expensive. We'll see if it works in weeks to come. Requires to be plugged into the negative side, output on the positive side, with 2 grounds. I hope this works...and keep in mind like TealSC400 and Ali mentioned awhile back, this will reset all settings.
Old 07-06-13, 11:23 PM
tdw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Which makes me think about the diode packs. Are they an often failure in the SC? We might never know...

I got a 12 volt circuit breaker for my battery. Wasn't very expensive. We'll see if it works in weeks to come. Requires to be plugged into the negative side, output on the positive side, with 2 grounds. I hope this works...and keep in mind like TealSC400 and Ali mentioned awhile back, this will reset all settings.

I am thinking circuit breaker is the way to go. We do a lot of sailing and often leave our vehicles for month or two at a time. Unfortunately we live in a block of apartments with no power outlets in the garage so a form of battery charger is not really an option.
Old 07-10-13, 07:19 AM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I left my 93 SC4 sitting for a few weeks and this happened to me. Since the battery was a starting battery, not a deep cycle or dual purpose, and got drained all the way, it was ruined. It was a great excuse to get an Optima Yellow Top though. But, I didn't really want to spend $250 on a battery!!! I'm pretty sure it can handle whatever audio or other power loads I can throw at it though.
Old 07-10-13, 10:31 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Optima batteries are junk IMO. Ive had them last less than a year in a perfectly normally functioning car.
Old 07-10-13, 11:16 AM
jeffreyjje
Driver School Candidate

Default juiced

had the issue but it was probably due to my upgraded led lamps and a 2000 watt stereo. had a killswitch but found it annoying so after my battery died for a second time...i went all-out cuz i dont f- around. Ordered a custom monster high output alternator and dropped $500 on a XS power battery and got rid of the killswitch. Only negative is the added weight similar to driving around with a midget under the hood but hey, my car could probably power my house if need be.
Old 07-11-13, 12:18 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Optima batteries are junk IMO. Ive had them last less than a year in a perfectly normally functioning car.
People who put Optima batteries in their Lexus car's are most likely some other fan of Chevy...use True Start...at least

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has the well known "battery drainage" on the SC been discovered?