SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????

Old 06-21-13, 06:56 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????

So here is the short version:

I had just got my "92 SC300 back from the shop. Replaced the spark plugs and ignition wires. Less than 12 hours later my neighbor, trying to parallel park, hits my car.

I wasn't in the car or anything, so he is obviously at fault. (Shouldn't be driving anyway.)

I assume the damage is confined to the body of the vehicle, so I drive it. Then realize the temp gauge is rising. Really?!

Take a look to find the radiator is cracked. GREAAAT!

Drop the car off at the Phil Thearle's Autowerks and the guy tells me is going to be a total loss.

Confirmed today. Still haven't heard from my insurance company yet. Guess it will have to wait till monday.

My car is pretty much stock. It has 175,000 miles. Maintained at the dealership before I bought it from the Auto Museum. Runs great. Busted power window regulator, trunk lid doesn't stay up, radio doesn't work because I think there is a short from the CD player in trunk. Going to fix all these things. (With the help from this forum, Of course) Ive just been busy.

I love this car. It was my dream car as a young girl. And I don't want to see it go.

Should I just negotiate the best possible price with the insurance company and say goodbye to her? Or should I buy it back and try to fix it? Either way, I will fight for justice.

Also, do you think the impact could have cracked the radiator?

Thanks for the advice. I have been a reader for 4 years now and couldn't have done any of the repairs myself without your guys help. You rock!.
Attached Thumbnails My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????-photo.jpg   My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????-photo-1.jpg   My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????-photo-2.jpg   My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????-photo-3.jpg  
Old 06-21-13, 06:59 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

QP damage is pretty much instantly totaling any non new car
Old 06-21-13, 07:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I highly doubt that crack was caused by the impact in the rear, unless the crack was almost there already...

cost at a body shop to fix that is probably every bit of 2000-2500, so it is understandable they want to total it... you could probably get it fixed on the cheap if you can find someone that does that sort of work on the side...
Old 06-21-13, 07:00 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not worth fixing. just buy another one unless you have an emotional attachment to this car.
Old 06-21-13, 07:06 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/4 panel damage= totaled. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-21-13, 07:10 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

How do you know? Happened to you?
Old 06-21-13, 07:11 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah that this if fubared, keep it as a parts car and buy another $1500 shell
Old 06-21-13, 07:12 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

My guess is to fix they have to weld on new quarter panel piece and paint that area plus the hood and other quarter panel because they are all connected. I'm guessing.
Old 06-21-13, 07:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Meghanw1
My guess is to fix they have to weld on new quarter panel piece and paint that area plus the hood and other quarter panel because they are all connected. I'm guessing.
winner!!!!
Old 06-21-13, 07:27 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Total loss easily.
Pretty much any damage on a SC would be consider total loss especially quarter panel damage.

Crack was there previously. I had that same spot on my SC back then I JB weld it and bought a used radiator and swap it out. Radiator cracking and your quarter panel damage had no relationship just happen to happen at the same time.
Old 06-21-13, 07:59 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

Yeah, I guess it probably was there before. Just below the surface. Waiting. Waiting for the worse possible moment. Then BANG! And there goes my week.
I'm just glad it didn't happen before he hit my car. If it had, and I replaced the radiator too, then the accident I would have been really REALLY pissed!

Thank for helping me put it in perspective.
Old 06-21-13, 08:08 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Despite the damage i think it can be repairable looks pretty clean for a 92, if it gots sentimental value i think its worth fixing Not sure why you need a whole new quater panel instead of just cutting and welding the part thats damaged. Even the tail light is ok. How bad is the trunk misaligned from the panel?
Old 06-21-13, 08:17 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

Its not badly misaligned at all. And you are right about the tail light. Its fine.

I'm just torn. I guess it's all going to come down to how much I can get out of the insurance company. I only paid $4270 for it 4 years ago. So if I can negotiate close to that number I guess I will consider letting it go.
Old 06-21-13, 08:22 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

No sentimental value. But I'm a girl and therefor a little sentimental about everything. Damn these human emotions. Sad about a car. An inanimate object. A hunk of metal. Ridiculous!
Old 06-21-13, 08:45 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who cares if the rad damage was not caused by the hit, the car is a total loss, so it is irrelevant. As far as the damage, that's an easy fix if you pull the dent out. Buy the car back if it's for a good price. You should be able to fix all the current issues and have some money left, if you go to a decent priced shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????