SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is this the dreaded pinch weld "Shanking" my tires now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 12:17 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Is this the dreaded pinch weld "Shanking" my tires now?

Is this the dreaded pinch weld "Shanking" my tires through the liner now?
The one everyone goes at with a giant hammer?
It's on the passenger side around 1:00 on the wheel well. I'm pretty safe so far on the driver side thankfully.
Attached Thumbnails Is this the dreaded pinch weld "Shanking" my tires now?-shank.jpg  
Old 06-19-13, 03:14 PM
92SoCal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you explain more about the "shanking" problem that everyone talks about.. ive never heard of it and ever since i have upgraded my wheels ive had a problem with the passenger side wheel well..
thanks
Old 06-19-13, 03:42 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92SoCal
Can you explain more about the "shanking" problem that everyone talks about.. ive never heard of it and ever since i have upgraded my wheels ive had a problem with the passenger side wheel well..
thanks
I have heard of people with lowered cars rubbing on a strip of metal that sticks down into wheel well (pinch weld) that is fine at stock height, but scrapes tires on lowered cars. Many members have reported taking to it with a huge hammer to gain more clearance.

The "shanking" was a silly reference to the use of crude, hand made, knife like weapons in prison.
Old 06-19-13, 03:57 PM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Buy a 3lb sledge and go to town on it. You can also cut it out.
Old 06-19-13, 04:12 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you're talking about. It's the metal piece that sticks out like some sort of L bracket right? What I did was I took and adjustable wrench to bend it towards the outside (this was while I had the fenders still on, it'd probably be even better if you take it off first) and then I hammered it down some more with a regular hammer. It's a lot more work if you use just a hammer the whole time, bending it first will speed it up. Since then I've had no issues of rubbing and cutting up the tread on my tires.
Old 06-19-13, 04:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
I know what you're talking about. It's the metal piece that sticks out like some sort of L bracket right? What I did was I took and adjustable wrench to bend it towards the outside (this was while I had the fenders still on, it'd probably be even better if you take it off first) and then I hammered it down some more with a regular hammer. It's a lot more work if you use just a hammer the whole time, bending it first will speed it up. Since then I've had no issues of rubbing and cutting up the tread on my tires.
i actually cant tell much what it looks like because I still have liners. This just cut through the liner a bit. I can only see the sliver sticking out in the pic.

Thanks.....

PS: Didnt feel this on driver side.
Old 06-19-13, 07:04 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
i actually cant tell much what it looks like because I still have liners. This just cut through the liner a bit. I can only see the sliver sticking out in the pic.

Thanks.....

PS: Didnt feel this on driver side.
It was mostly on the driver side for me. It's probably because I slammed my car at the time. Eventually I just got the car to a point where it barely clears the wheel well and kept it that way. This is after I cut the liners where the tires rub the inner wheel well. If you lower your car at all (or if your stock suspension is shot) then you're gonna wanna loop those wires into the hood through the washer fluid reservoir. Before I did mine I noticed it was already getting rubbed before I lowered the car. It's gonna be so much work to fix if you don't prevent it by relocating those wire harnesses.
Old 06-19-13, 09:51 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

My fronts are already cut from that
Old 06-20-13, 03:51 AM
Lexinstien
Driver School Candidate

Def move the harness... I've dealt with this on my 240. It sucks *** lol. Move it before you have a wiring nightmare on your hands.
Old 06-20-13, 03:52 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
It was mostly on the driver side for me. It's probably because I slammed my car at the time. Eventually I just got the car to a point where it barely clears the wheel well and kept it that way. This is after I cut the liners where the tires rub the inner wheel well. If you lower your car at all (or if your stock suspension is shot) then you're gonna wanna loop those wires into the hood through the washer fluid reservoir. Before I did mine I noticed it was already getting rubbed before I lowered the car. It's gonna be so much work to fix if you don't prevent it by relocating those wire harnesses.
Luckily i am not really rubbing on the harness side yet. Just this "shank" on the passenger side wheel well. I know the hell the driver side can present and I keep my eye on it.
Old 06-20-13, 06:08 AM
sr71b
Pole Position

Wtf was the point of your post?
In any event, with a properly tuned suspension the car will ride similar if not better than stock. I'm so tired of people acting like these cars still cost 50k, they can be found on Craigslist for sub 5k. My car is lowered substantially and i take tons of trips and daily it for a decent amount of miles to and from and I have no complaints. Spring rates determine ride quality. I've had people in my car and they were shocked it rode so smooth for the height it is off the ground.

At the end of the day let people mod their cars in the way in which they see fit, it's their money, their time, their effort. There are no direct implications on your life so carry on.

Back on topic:

OP do yourself a favor and just do the relocate, if you are rubbing on the metal the wiring is not too far behind.
Old 06-20-13, 06:40 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
D:.
Fuddy,
There are many choices to make with compromises associated with each one. The compromise you seem to have made is on the look (and handling) of your car. I would likely see it and say to myself (Ewwwww) like i do when I see a broad collared suit, pleated pants or a "Members Only" jacket however, as long as you like it. It's a beautiful thing.
I choose to aim for improved look and improved performance. My car looks great and rides and handles better then ever since I put on the coils (and would eat yours up in the twisties now).
I am rubbing on one wheel on only the biggest bumps and my suspension is adjustable. I will adjust it a bit, flatten the weld and love life.

Last edited by Kira X; 06-21-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 06:43 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sr71b
Wtf was the point of your post?
In any event, with a properly tuned suspension the car will ride similar if not better than stock. I'm so tired of people acting like these cars still cost 50k, they can be found on Craigslist for sub 5k. My car is lowered substantially and i take tons of trips and daily it for a decent amount of miles to and from and I have no complaints. Spring rates determine ride quality. I've had people in my car and they were shocked it rode so smooth for the height it is off the ground.

At the end of the day let people mod their cars in the way in which they see fit, it's their money, their time, their effort. There are no direct implications on your life so carry on.

Back on topic:

OP do yourself a favor and just do the relocate, if you are rubbing on the metal the wiring is not too far behind.
Thanks Man,
I'm not rubbing on the drivers side, but i'm going to relocate anyway. Im going to raise it a bit more today as well. Well said above.
SG
Old 06-20-13, 07:33 AM
sr71b
Pole Position

you know there is a harness on the passenger side as well
Old 06-20-13, 07:59 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sr71b
you know there is a harness on the passenger side as well
YIKES!
I had no idea!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Is this the dreaded pinch weld "Shanking" my tires now?