SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do you think the SC is a hard car to make a wheel look good on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 05:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Do you think the SC is a hard car to make a wheel look good on?

Some cars you can stick just about anything on and it'll work. Some are more difficult. The SC? I think there are probably only 6 or less wheels on the planet that actually work on an SC out of the millions of patterns.

I see some people sticking anything on the SC. Do you think this is a hard car to "get right"?
Old 05-24-13, 05:19 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

absolutely, ive looked at hundreds of wheels and only 5 or 6 of them i actually liked. There were a few that were ok, very few of them look just right. On top of that, most of them were actually discontinued.

I got lucky and picked up a set of SSR GT3s. Which were one of the once i really liked on the car. The offset could be a bit more aggressive but for 400 bucs for wheels and tires. Couldnt pass it up.
Old 05-24-13, 05:41 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say, "NO". The SC has one of the best curves, stance, and look out of many cars out there. Some people just over do it, by adding some ugly, not sleek look type of rims and tires.
Old 05-24-13, 05:47 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree! Had some 18s that looked good but sold them to a IS owner and they looked way better on his car. I will patiently decide which set to put on next. I really like and enjoy my Supra TT wheels tho.
Old 05-24-13, 06:22 PM
- V -
Instructor

i suppose it also depends on your taste. Ive seen the heavy wheels with wide spokes and i think they look good. but i wouldnt put it on my car because i like to show off the brakes and rotors.
Old 05-24-13, 06:24 PM
xiaolong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot of wheels I've liked, but like Joey-E, I like the TT wheels the most. subtle, yet sexy
I am not a fan of the "tire is too small for the wheel" fad.
Old 05-24-13, 07:00 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally think the tire stretching thing is killing it most of the time. I mean really, if you drive the car and have to stretch the tire and roll the fender, something is wrong. I would say run a tire that fits the wheel/car properly with a slight roll. Then again, Im not one for form and thats where it gets tricky.

With the SC there is a good mix of function biased owners going for power, then the form biased that want the lip of their wheel touching the fender/fender line...and of course those in between. But it always boils down to the same thing, what the owners eye enjoys seeing.

But there are those wheels that some have picked that just belong in a junk yard and no where near an SC. But difficult to find wheels that look good on an SC? Not at all with a bit of taste. Even cheaper knock off wheels can look good on the SC. But again, owners choice on what "looks good".
Old 05-24-13, 07:04 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be buying a set of knock offs after I get my Lexi repaired. I currently have GS L Tuned OZ Salinas on it and theyre decent.
Old 05-24-13, 07:39 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Some cars you can stick just about anything on and it'll work. Some are more difficult. The SC? I think there are probably only 6 or less wheels on the planet that actually work on an SC out of the millions of patterns.

I see some people sticking anything on the SC. Do you think this is a hard car to "get right"?
nope...id say its more of a poor sizing problem. all the stance bs has kids getting 9in wide wheels and trying to stretch a 205 tire over it.
Old 05-24-13, 07:45 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Real easy. anything but the sc stockies will look good, but not on the internets.

Examples
Running aftermarket 16s or 17s, you'll get bashed
Running too wide or too narrow wheels, you'll get bashed
Running stretched it rubber band tires, you'll get bashed
20s on an NA, you'll get bashed
Running 295, 305, 315 wide tires on an NA you'll get bashed
20s on a 1kwhp gte, you'll get bashed
20s without a kit, you'll get bashed
Running knockoffs, you'll get bashed
the list goes on.

on the streets, it doesn't really matter
Old 05-24-13, 08:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
real easy. Anything but the sc stockies will look good, but not on the internets.

Examples
running aftermarket 16s or 17s, you'll get bashed
running too wide or too narrow wheels, you'll get bashed
running stretched it rubber band tires, you'll get bashed
20s on an na, you'll get bashed
running 295, 305, 315 wide tires on an na you'll get bashed
20s on a 1kwhp gte, you'll get bashed
20s without a kit, you'll get bashed
running knockoffs, you'll get bashed
the list goes on.

On the streets, it doesn't really matter
^this^ +1.........
Old 05-24-13, 08:31 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Well, I agree with you mostly, OP. I've looked at many wheel combinations and the ones I like the most are the 1996 Soarer/SC400 non-chrome "blade" rims (but they're too small for decent brakes), Supra NA and Supra TT rims (non-chrome preferred but chrome looks good too), and BBS LM's.

There are other great wheels that look good but personally I keep coming back to the factory appearance look, at least using TT rims. When I get to the point that I need more than 265-275mm rear tires on mine I'll probably just swap my rear TT's to the front and have the fronts custom widened.

But this all depends on what look you are going for. I tend to like the older, more conservative look apart from the lip-less front bumpers and wheel/tire combinations that fill the fenders with a bit of rubber like older muscle cars or 90's BMW M cars and I think it's credit to the exterior design that you can achieve several classy looks without changing all that much.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-24-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 09:38 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vteruni
absolutely, ive looked at hundreds of wheels and only 5 or 6 of them i actually liked. There were a few that were ok, very few of them look just right. On top of that, most of them were actually discontinued.

I got lucky and picked up a set of SSR GT3s. Which were one of the once i really liked on the car. The offset could be a bit more aggressive but for 400 bucs for wheels and tires. Couldnt pass it up.
Love the look of gt3's. Were gonna have to see a few pics.
Old 05-24-13, 10:55 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a challenge trying to find rims that look good on the SC. I've been searching for months to find the right size rim and tire specs and I'm still in the clouds for what I want. I think it's a fairly tough car to do It on.
Old 05-24-13, 11:42 PM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by 313sc3
Love the look of gt3's. Were gonna have to see a few pics.
still working on them but once they are finished ill snap some pics. When i got them, the person painted them yellow......yellow. Not gold, Yellow, BRIGHT yellow......go figure lol. Im done stripping the paint off them, mostly. still need to get a few bits here and there. Then repolish the lips and paint the center black.

Quick Reply: Do you think the SC is a hard car to make a wheel look good on?