SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help me help my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 09:04 AM
Staffros
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me help my SC400

Im just out of college, and have been neglecting a 93 SC400 for quite a few years. Thankfully it has been garaged kept most likely its whole life.

This summer I would like to spend some time bringing it up to par. Known problems that I know of are, window motors on both doors, and the tilt steering. It has an incredibly straight body, and has been serviced including a timing belt around 15k miles ago. It currently sits at 115k on the engine.

I can currently not get it to pass emissions here in Dallas, though its honestly so damn close. I may have to take it somewhere where they do not hook it up to the exhaust.

Any adice would be appreciated as I love this car. I am a Japanese American, and the thought of having the first Japanese V8 just hold a special place in my love for cars haha.

Thankfully I am not in a rush as a I have a MazdaSpeed6 as a DD, but would love to work on this SC400 this summer

[IMG]Help me help my SC400-plx4etw.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks,
Old 06-28-13, 09:37 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grinding sounds when trying to tilt the steering wheel? Theres a DIY for that, very simple. Thats if it's the problem.

Super clean SC.
Old 06-28-13, 09:42 AM
Staffros
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAzn
The grinding sounds when trying to tilt the steering wheel? Theres a DIY for that, very simple. Thats if it's the problem.

Super clean SC.
Yes there is a grinding sound, it will move up, but not down, makes it very hard to see the dials.
Old 06-28-13, 10:05 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Diy"s on all your problems.....nothing that is uncommon on SC's ....just do a search on this forum....TONS of SC DIY's,repairs, troubleshooting etc on this forum.
Since you did not say what your emissions #'s are, it's hard to pin point your problem. Is your check engine light on? Regardless.... I would run a diagnostic test just to check to see if you have any engine codes. Autozone will do it for free. Also, MANY people have had very good success with running SEAFOAM thru their intake system and thru their gas lines. Again, just do a search on this forum along with a YOUtube search as well on the benefits of seafoam. Also, fresh tune-up and oil change,tranny fluid change, power steering fluid flush and differential fluid change may be in order. All should be part of your maintenance schedule. You should be able to get this nice SC up and running well in no time. Great looking SC BTW.
Old 06-28-13, 10:42 AM
Staffros
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwebb99
Diy"s on all your problems.....nothing that is uncommon on SC's ....just do a search on this forum....TONS of SC DIY's,repairs, troubleshooting etc on this forum.
Since you did not say what your emissions #'s are, it's hard to pin point your problem. Is your check engine light on? Regardless.... I would run a diagnostic test just to check to see if you have any engine codes. Autozone will do it for free. Also, MANY people have had very good success with running SEAFOAM thru their intake system and thru their gas lines. Again, just do a search on this forum along with a YOUtube search as well on the benefits of seafoam. Also, fresh tune-up and oil change,tranny fluid change, power steering fluid flush and differential fluid change may be in order. All should be part of your maintenance schedule. You should be able to get this nice SC up and running well in no time. Great looking SC BTW.
Thanks for the info, I have seafoamed intake/gas lines, as well as changes oil/tranny fluid, but not differential or power steering.

Thanks for the compliment on how it looks, I try my hardest