SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Supra prices "ticking" down? SC's prices "ticking" up?

Old 05-09-13, 09:05 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather an SC400 than an N/A Supra. I raced an N/A Supra before when my SC was stock and beat it. I don't understand why it's worth more because to me I wouldn't even trade for one. A TT is a different animal but N/A is way overpriced on the market.
Old 05-09-13, 09:47 PM
Boxxx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clean400
I'd rather an SC400 than an N/A Supra. I raced an N/A Supra before when my SC was stock and beat it. I don't understand why it's worth more because to me I wouldn't even trade for one. A TT is a different animal but N/A is way overpriced on the market.
FAST AND THE FURIOUS YO!!!! Eh, from my understanding people like to take the N/A and single turbo them.
Old 05-09-13, 10:23 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Specaiist
Don't get me wrong. By no means am I say that SC's are at the price point of a Supra. But I am saying that there is a higher volume of $12k plus SC's on the market. A few years ago you would see maybe 2 high priced SC's. But now, you will see 5-6 at a time and not even raise your eyebrows.. I agree that the $12k-$15k have "some" mods, but nothing outrageous (i.e. roll cages etc.) Could it be that "We", SC owners are getting older/more mature?
This is absolutely, ABSOLUTELY true. From someone that's in the market, I can fully confirm this. As the car is getting older, so is it's target market....us. It is appreciating.
Old 05-10-13, 01:53 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxxx
FAST AND THE FURIOUS YO!!!! Eh, from my understanding people like to take the N/A and single turbo them.
Pretty much this, a lot of people single the TT anyways, so sometimes it's honestly easier/cheaper to start NA and upgrde internals and then just single that. Especially when you consider the price difference of a TT Supra compared to NA Supra.
Old 05-10-13, 02:58 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm hoping Supra prices come down even more. I plan on getting a cheap NA Supra later this year.

SC prices are still pretty high around here and I see less of them for sale. Mine is now one of the only ones I see on the road..
Old 05-10-13, 08:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Pretty much this, a lot of people single the TT anyways, so sometimes it's honestly easier/cheaper to start NA and upgrde internals and then just single that. Especially when you consider the price difference of a TT Supra compared to NA Supra.
I know If I got my hands on an n/a supra the first thing I would do is na-t + r154 + brakes.
you can still have most of the fun without the price tag of TT 6spd.
of course for collector value and resale the original cars will bring more but for fun its not a bad route.
Old 05-10-13, 10:13 AM
1slowsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vteruni
keep in mind that a 92 SC is technically considered a classic since its over 20 years old.
anyone ever check into buying classic car insurance for our cars? mines a 92.
Old 05-10-13, 10:26 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowsc
When I had a 71 Cutlass, I never used classic car insurance...
Old 05-10-13, 10:38 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowsc
I have a collector car policy for my 92 through American Modern Ins.
Old 05-10-13, 02:15 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Supras are over rated. You'd have to be a fool to buy one at those rediculous prices. You could get a way better car for that price ranges.

my daily slowpra and rx7....

Old 05-10-13, 02:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bauceLS400
Supras are over rated. You'd have to be a fool to buy one at those rediculous prices. You could get a way better car for that price ranges.

my daily slowpra and rx7....
I used to think the SC looked huge next to an RX-7 but even the Supra looks big.

You're right though. You can get way better cars for even the price of a beat up NA Supra. The Supra sure looks good though.
Old 05-11-13, 12:01 AM
starlet119
Driver School Candidate

There's a lot of denial going on in this thread.
Old 05-11-13, 11:54 AM
Kire
Driver

I've noticed the drop in the price of Supra's across the board. Both TT's and NA's but less of a drop for a TT. I'm glad I went with my SC since I think it's one of the better looking cars of it's period and is up there with the Supra. People are catching on that we essentially have the same car and the prices have started to rise. I'm just glad I got mine for $500
Old 05-11-13, 01:36 PM
bam11
Driver School Candidate

I belive the last supra sold in the U.S. was in 1998 so the SC's could be "newer by many years as in 1998 a very few Supras were sold and had be on the "number of units sold" decline for years before that.
Old 05-11-13, 04:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by starlet119
There's a lot of denial going on in this thread.
LOL. I don't agree that Supras are overrated either. NA's aren't very different from SC300's, true, but Supra NA's are lighter from the factory comparable only to a stripped down SC track car. Not that such things matter when you get into turbos but it can help to a point when you're road racing.

I have checked with a couple of classic car insurance companies when I first bought my car. There are options available but only if you're willing to drive 1,500-2,000 miles a year. Or 3,000 at most. I think this was for Hagerty among others.

You need a few things to justify why it's a collector's item or "classic": in no particular order or hierarchy... production numbers, a professional appraisal, its history and/or awards as a show car, and some examples of what the cars regularly go for. Easier for Supra MKIV's than it is for SC's. Hagerty would have approved me were it not for my desire to drive more than 3,000 miles per year.

Still, give it time. Plenty of Dodges, Chryslers and Plymouths that weren't top dog Barracudas, Challengers and Chargers have appreciated in value and regularly list in publications like Hemmings Motor News. I've seen some SC's in there but not turbocharged and heavily modified ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supra prices "ticking" down? SC's prices "ticking" up?