SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Be Cautious At Nights, It's Deer Season.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 12:08 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Be Cautious At Nights, It's Deer Season.

Taking the "back roads" home after stopping to get gas and wanting a nice slower drive home avoiding the highway, I was on a stretch of road that had no street lights with a few other cars. And well, close call.

This is a video of the actual video. This video of the video was done using my iphone view the actual video on my laptop. The actual video was taken from my GoPro which I use as a dashcam. Once I get a good video editing software to cut the bogus parts and stuff, I can post the video which would be clearer. The moment in time the deer is fully lit by my headlights, I hit the brakes.

That one - two seconds felt like minutes.

As the deer traveled from the left to right, as I was braking, my mind was in an analytical mode... Looking at the deer, then at my hood, back and forth calculating where the point of impact would be and what would be the next appropriate action. I was so locked into instincts, when you hear the music go off, that was because I had to start my car. I was still in 5th gear and the only pedal that was down was the brakes. I was blank minded when my car came to a complete stop, piecing together what has happened.

Barely any damage sustained Two dime size paint chips and a sprinkle of deer fur.

I'm pretty sure the son of a ***** ****en piece of **** Bambi has a slightly bruised right hind leg. I pulled over and the ***** was gone.

Old 05-09-13, 12:40 AM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daaaaaaaaamn! Glad you're in one piece! Don't worry about the SC, it'll buff out. Don't worry about the deer, it's coyote bait. The most important thing is that you're around & fully functional.
Old 05-09-13, 12:44 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

I don't care about the bumper. When I bought it, there was nothing but rock chips, it looks worse than the moon. I have touch up paint. I need to do a wave of paint touch up of the bumper anyways lol got some constellations to take care of.

I'm still amazed. Quick reaction saved everything.
Old 05-09-13, 01:10 AM
Boxxx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky, it could've been much worse. Deer and other animals are terrible around where I live. Just earlier on my way to the store there was a possum just sitting there on the center line. Luckily I had some room to my right to move over, other wise I would've been pushing a possum for some distance(the joys of lowered cars).

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-22-1-0100.../dp/B000CC4O58

Can try using those, supposedly they work. For $5 it's worth it if it works, if not it's not like losing out on $5 will be your biggest concern.
Old 05-09-13, 02:46 AM
Davidddd
Pole Position

Daaaaaaaaaaam lol how lucky can you, or the deer, be...
Old 05-09-13, 07:15 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Always be alert when driving...no matter what! In this case, it was your reaction that saved the face of your SC. And the deer too. Fortunately, there aren't many deer were I live...
Old 05-09-13, 07:42 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Boxxx
Lucky, it could've been much worse. Deer and other animals are terrible around where I live. Just earlier on my way to the store there was a possum just sitting there on the center line. Luckily I had some room to my right to move over, other wise I would've been pushing a possum for some distance(the joys of lowered cars).

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-22-1-0100.../dp/B000CC4O58

Can try using those, supposedly they work. For $5 it's worth it if it works, if not it's not like losing out on $5 will be your biggest concern.
I never believed in those whistles. As much as they say honking could potentially scare them and make them run, and when they run there's a greater chance they could cross your path.
Old 05-09-13, 07:52 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

reminds me of this classic video
Old 05-09-13, 07:55 AM
robtackett
Driver School Candidate

Well we were at local dragstrip last week and when it started to get dark I had the same thing happen. I had just made a run and turned around on the return road. I looked to my right to see the cars running after I did and a deer ran across track. I'm not talking about at the end past the track but it ran right across the finish line. Luckily the cars running where about 100 ft from the deer and nothing bad happened.
Old 05-09-13, 10:50 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

PeteSoarer and his pals have to dodge Reindeer and Moose in Finland.
Old 05-09-13, 11:19 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Same thing happened to the FRS.
Old 05-09-13, 11:28 AM
Boxxx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheAzn
I never believed in those whistles. As much as they say honking could potentially scare them and make them run, and when they run there's a greater chance they could cross your path.
Supposedly they keep the deer from crossing as you're approaching. Seems too good to be true. Maybe this is something Mythbusters should look into. Regardless at least you're ok.
Old 05-09-13, 01:33 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick reaction bro! Nice!
Old 05-30-13, 01:17 PM
bam11
Driver School Candidate

yes great dodge
Old 05-30-13, 04:11 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Damn, good reflexes. Everyone be careful out there, I had a close call last summer too but nowhere near as close as this.

Quick Reply: Be Cautious At Nights, It's Deer Season.