SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY: Remove cracked center vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 02:23 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or wait..i just noticed you said vents..haha..nevermind..im not sure if anyone does..im sure they have appliques though you can put over them to make them look cf
Old 10-31-07, 02:29 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Thread is a timeless classic.
For sure.

Great DIY... My cars going away for the winter soon and I might as well address this issue while I'm taking my gauge cluster out.
Old 05-23-09, 02:17 PM
evilninja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BigManne
6. Release the clip at the left end of the vent assembly that attaches it to the vehicle. Gently maneuver the vent/trim assembly until it can easily be removed. Take it to a suitable work table and proceed as instructed below.

whats the best way to get to that clip. i cant get the thing out. is it only the one nut and the clip that it holding it in?
I'm in the midst of this right now, have everything out except that one clip I think. It's a '95 SC400, so doesn't have the 3 wing nut bolts (right?). In other removal threads, I just see the 1 10mm bolt on the right side of the vent, and I suppose the only thing holding it back now is the clip on the left, but I don't know where to pry from?

Under the wood trim, from the side of the wood trim, or from the top side? I am using moderate brute strenght to try to pull it out, but it's not working, and my vent is already cracked, BUT I don't want to crack the wood.

Does anyone have any details on the best way to release this clip?
Old 05-24-09, 12:00 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

holy old thread bumping batman.... on the other hand it helped me pull mine out... SICK and i did some "plastic welding" oh man its lookin fresh now. got something up my sleeve..
Old 05-25-09, 03:57 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evilninja
I'm in the midst of this right now, have everything out except that one clip I think. It's a '95 SC400, so doesn't have the 3 wing nut bolts (right?). In other removal threads, I just see the 1 10mm bolt on the right side of the vent, and I suppose the only thing holding it back now is the clip on the left, but I don't know where to pry from?

Under the wood trim, from the side of the wood trim, or from the top side? I am using moderate brute strenght to try to pull it out, but it's not working, and my vent is already cracked, BUT I don't want to crack the wood.

Does anyone have any details on the best way to release this clip?
I just used careful pressure with a trim pry tool I had and moved it around equally distributing force. Its slow going but i dont remember if the clip was on wood or vent. Sorry. Use some towels and cloths for leverage with tool and prevent damage when prying.
Old 05-25-09, 11:16 PM
tc32
Rookie

nice write up... i have to change mine too... bookmarking this page
Old 10-22-09, 07:51 AM
Schultino
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SMARK
I recently replaced my SC300 center vent assembly because of the cracks in the corners of the frame. Following is the procedure I used to remove the vent assembly. You will need a screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, very small blade screwdriver, 12mm socket, 10mm socket, and socket driver. Please read all instructions and review photos before starting.

WARNING - this procedure requires removal of the passenger side airbag - REMOVE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURY OR MALFUNCTION CAUSED BY THIS PROCEDURE. Before continuing, move the passenger seat all the way back. Turn off the ignition and remove the key. Disconnect the battery and wait 90 seconds. DO NOT TURN THE KEY UNTIL THE AIRBAG IS RECONNECTED!

1. Open the glove box and use a screwdriver to remove the access panel in the top of the glove box towards the left rear. Pull the panel down. Remove the the 2 silver screws and the yellow connector. Note how the cables are connected. Using a small screwdriver, carefully open the connections and remove the airbag wires. Here is how the connector looks after opened and disconnected:

2. Remove the glove box. Begin by removing the 2 square screw covers behind the glove box door. Carefully separate the bottom kick panel apart from the lower glove box panel just enough to expose the 2 Phillips screws (see photo below). Remove the 2 Phillips screws. Remove the 2 Phillips screws behind the square covers that you previously removed. Remove the glove box by gently pulling it from behind the door latch bracket. With the glove box slightly pulled out, remove the 2 wires connected on the left side of the glove box. Completely remove the glove box and set it aside where it will not be damaged.

3. Remove the glove box latch by removing 2 Phillips screws.

4. Remove the air bag. It is held in place by 3 Phillips screws, 2 nuts, and 1 bolt. Use a 12mm socket to remove the bolt. It is oriented vertically and located near where the airbag connector was. Now remove the 2 12mm nuts and 3 Phillips screws. They all face towards the passenger seat. Gently remove the airbag. If it is difficult to remove, then use a scredriver to gently pry the airbag at the brackets where the screws and nuts were. Set the airbag aside with upper surface facing upwards.

You can see the kick panel hanging down in the photo above.

5. Remove the gold-colored, 10mm nut at the right end of the center section of wooden trim (shown below).

6. Release the clip at the left end of the vent assembly that attaches it to the vehicle. Gently maneuver the vent/trim assembly until it can easily be removed. Take it to a suitable work table and proceed as instructed below.

7. Remove the 2 small Phillips screws in the center of the wood trim at both the top and bottom edges. You may have to trim away some felt material.

8. Remove the 2 gold-colored and 2 black Phillips screws from the back.

Notice in the picture below that the clip between the gold-colored screws has broken off.

(continued in pt.2)
u forgot to mention a few bolts
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Remove cracked center vent-picture_001.jpg.jpg  
Old 08-26-10, 07:05 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I'm bringing this back from the dead, a lot of time has passed since a lot of people has tried to fix their cracked vents so there might be new ideas out there, so what procedure has worked best so they won't crack as fast or what's a good way to fix the cracks? was it necessary to re-paint the vents also?
Old 08-26-10, 08:34 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

i need to do this!
Old 09-10-10, 09:51 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The instructions on this are great, but my 98 SC4 doesnt have the divided section in the wood that, this car has. Does anyone know the difference on the disassembly for the later SC's? Gonna tackle this tomorrow to do the 3M Di-Noc wrap.
Old 09-13-10, 06:50 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Did you figure it out spdrcr771?
Old 09-13-10, 11:17 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ClearP
Did you figure it out spdrcr771?
yea i got it. the air bag doesnt have to come out on 98 & up. there's 3 nut in that area that hold it in. Then the rest comes out like the others.
Old 09-13-10, 04:42 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

How long did it take you to remove those? What do you have to take off to access those?
Old 09-03-11, 03:29 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i redesigned my center vent ill post pics when its all done! and new things with car, and my interior!
Old 01-09-12, 03:55 PM
Blk96sc3
Driver School Candidate

my 92 doesn't have the airbag so its one long piece as well...

Quick Reply: DIY: Remove cracked center vent