SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hypothetical: would things be different if the SC had come with a 1JZ-GTE in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-13, 10:15 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Hypothetical: would things be different if the SC had come with a 1JZ-GTE in the US?

At the risk of starting an argument, which is not my intention, I'm curious as to what other owners of SC's think would have been different if Toyota/Lexus hadn't kept the 1JZ-GTE out of US market SC's:

Let's just assume that it's 1992 and things had gone a bit differently. Turbocharged engines were not considered such common or reliable offerings as they are today. But for the sake of argument, what if Lexus still had offered the SC400 as we know it but had also offered the 1JZ-GTE as a standard or optional engine with EGR, US cats, and basically everything needed to make it EPA legal. Let's even say that early SC's followed the same formula that the Soarer lineup did: manual transmission only available (R154, not W58) on 1JZ-GTE models with an optional LSD. Automatics would still be the most common transmission optioned, however.

Let's also say that it's a toss-up as to whether the US market accepted the cars long enough to get the 1JZ-GTE VVT-i updates in 1996-97 (or 1998 since those were our first year non-turbo VVT-i's)

(Edit, corrected --->) Now unlike the usual Soarer options we still might not have gotten the digital dash but we would have still had auto tilt-columns, leather and sunroofs. All those would probably have still been very common options-- just like actual US SC's.

How do you guys think the public would have ACTUALLY reacted to this hypothetical US SC series? Long term values, perception of reliability, comparisons to the still more powerful and capable (out of the box) MKIV Supra Turbo and aftermarket support?

Would these have still been a sales success for a few years or would Lexus (or Toyota) have still distanced themselves from such a serious car as a marketing mistake? Would the 1JZ have been an offering throughout the entire production cycle ending in 2000? For that matter, would manual transmission models have made it past 1997?

And with some 60k 1st gen SC's made for the USA versus the 12k or so Supra MKIVs, would values still be rather low or would they have leveled off, with the Supra still being somewhat high priced in the used market years later?

I'm not trying to start an argument with this subject because I know we all wish non-V8 SC's had come with turbo engines but I'm just curious as to what you all think MIGHT have happened if they did, and I don't just mean all the positives given such a scenario

Just some fun discussion.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-20-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-20-13, 10:25 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC would have depreciated a lot less in my opinion. We would then boost resale value value to drift tax, A leather optioned sc with a 1jz powerplant and analog dash would make me a very happy man.
Old 04-20-13, 10:41 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Would have been up there almost with the supra but not quite.
Old 04-20-13, 11:30 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Lexus is a luxury brand. at least it was exclusively so in the early days. Hard to argue with their success. As one who has purchased a new SC back in they day, I could have cared less about a hotter motor.

I bought the SC400 and the power was more than sufficient.

One man's experience.
Old 04-20-13, 01:24 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah Pretty much what bruce said, Stock 2J is slow, i got a 400 for the decent power and comfort, but to contribute to the thread, i believe it might of made the car more rare, but lets says if the SC was the star of fast and furious, it would of been escalated to super star status
Old 04-20-13, 01:29 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Bruce on this one. The way these were advertised and the market Toyota tried to hit with the Lexus brand I can't see too many people going for the 1j. At the time the 1uz was plenty fast, and I don't think the 1j would've sold very well here.

That being said, of course I would prefer it if they had offered the 1j. It would've have definitely held it's value more than the 1uz and 2j, especially if they didn't sell well. And I think the car would have an even bigger reputation with the general public with a 1j power plant.
Old 04-20-13, 01:33 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should have came with the 2jz-gte...
Old 04-20-13, 07:40 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps they would have graced us with the uzz31/32 & the uzz32 wouldn't have been discontinued. Still unsure why we didn't at least get the uzz31.
Old 04-20-13, 09:37 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

It would have had more of an impact if they offered a manual with the 1UZ
Old 04-21-13, 02:16 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Lexus is a luxury brand. at least it was exclusively so in the early days. Hard to argue with their success. As one who has purchased a new SC back in they day, I could have cared less about a hotter motor.

I bought the SC400 and the power was more than sufficient.

One man's experience.
That's an interesting take, honestly, since you did buy one when it was a new car. Reading old C&D articles on the SC400 it's strange to see how well the car stacked up with only 250-260hp until 1998.

Originally Posted by PseudoK
It would have had more of an impact if they offered a manual with the 1UZ
And this I have to agree with too although if you were to compare it to another coupe of its time, the BMW 840i (V8), you didn't get a manual option either. Only in the 850CSi V12 did you have a 6-speed manual option.

Still, Japanese Soarers often came with automatics more than manuals.

Personally I do think a hypothetical turbo model would have depreciated far less than either the 300 or 400.
Old 04-21-13, 02:30 PM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

It would benefit the line more now to compete with the German segment.

The Lexus brand was built to satisfy the luxury segment of the market. At the time, there were not many competitors going with factory turbo power plants. If they did they tended to be smaller displacement.
Old 04-21-13, 02:52 PM
mikevandam
Driver

I think the demand for the 1JZ, if it were to be initially in the US for SC's, was to decrease than it is now. Everybody would swap to 2JZ-GTE when he or she would get tired of the 1JZ. Not only he or she would get tired of it, but some owners of 1JZ's would put wear and tear on those motors and more of them would be in junkyards. Less demand in 1JZ and more demand in 2JZ-GTE than it would be now. But man it would be sweet if it did come initially in the US.
Old 04-21-13, 02:58 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Back in say, 1992, 250HP seem like it was just fine. The vette of those days had about 300HP. Moreover, the torque in the SC400 was nice.

Again, it was a luxury sport tourer, and it was a very different era and market.

I remember driving a new 1998 GS400 with the 300HP V8 and thought that car went like stink!
Old 04-21-13, 04:21 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever heard of a luxury car? You know what luxury means? Ever heard of Cadillac, Cadillac Eldorado? That's what I drive. I drive cars that shift themselves.
Old 04-22-13, 12:32 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Biddles
Have you ever heard of a luxury car? You know what luxury means? Ever heard of Cadillac, Cadillac Eldorado? That's what I drive. I drive cars that shift themselves.
... my cars SHIFT themselves. God, I love that movie.

But it is true, isn't it? At least from the perspective of Lexus corporate.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical: would things be different if the SC had come with a 1JZ-GTE in the US?