SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
Old 01-06-15, 04:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

The mother of all SC Car Cover Threads (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 10:34 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The mother of all SC Car Cover Threads (merged)

for those who park outside, do you use car cover?
it's getting cold so I dont want my lexus to get sick jk but I just finish Zaino's on my car.
This morning, I see dust on all her body. plus I think when it snows, it's easy to remove the snow without scratching the body if you have the car cover.
so I like to get some info's on what's good/bad about car cover.
thanks
Old 10-10-01, 04:11 AM
Lance
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Taka, this is off track, but how do you like the Zaino Bro wax? I'm thinking about ordering a set myself, but since my SC is pearl white, I don't know if it's worth the bother.

Anyway, about the only bad thing about a car cover (other than the fact that it's a PITA to put on and take off) is that your car has to be CLEAN when you put it on, otherwise you'll leave scratches on the paint (especially bad on dark cars, AMHIK).

Lance
Always garaged SC owner
Old 10-10-01, 08:43 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

hey Lance, Zaino is great. so far, I put 3,4 layers. Nobody believes it is 1993 sc400.
I got Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, and clay bar.
I think I might wanna put one more layer.
let me know if you have question.

go back to my question, yea never thought about scratch...it makes sense. I guess i'm gonna leave
her naked during winter. but I'm thinking easy way to remove snow, maybe put covers on just window (so I dont even have to scratch....)
Old 02-15-02, 01:26 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question For those w/ a car cover for their SC.....

What type (mateial)/brand cover do u have on ur SC300/400? I have decided to get one (eventhough i park at night in the garage) b/c i have to park my car outside everyday at school, and i would like to put a cover on it. (Alos, when i go to college next yr. i won't be able to park it in a garage at night so i will need the cover then too). I don't want to buy a cover that is like $200 (like the one Lexus sells). I am looking more for like a universal one. What material should i look for, and how well does urs fit on ur SC (please give brand of urs too)?
Old 04-05-02, 08:58 AM
Fantius
Rookie

I just bought the $200 Lexus custom fit version. I definately wanted custom fit, bu in my opinion, it is not worth $200. I was expecting soft cotton or chamois material on one side, but it's basically just thin parachute material all over. If I can find some decent fabric, I can probably have it sewn into the inside for pretty cheap.
Old 04-05-02, 09:24 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

budge lite, semi-custom, car cover.
wal-mart
20$
same material.
the size 4 will fit baggy on the car - I've got the size 3 but it is tight. I'd recommend size 4. I don't know what it is made of but it lets the car "breath".
aj
Old 04-05-02, 11:20 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Size 3 is too tight? Dang!

Good to know, awj- I am in the market for a generic cover, and I was gonna buy a size 3 since that fits up to 16 feet- exactly the length of our SCs.

I usually have to put it on and off myself, so maybe a size 3 will be too much of a hassle. Plus, I have a spoiler, so a 3 might be REALLY too tight.
Old 04-05-02, 05:22 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Dont skimp on the cover. I mean this is your Lexus. Get one that is breathable so if your car gets wet and it is warm on the same day you won't ruin your paint. The paint will get kind of foggy if you have a cheap cover. There are plenty of brands out there that will let water run off but at the same time let water evaporate off. Just expect to pay the $150-200 price tag. What is $200 for a clean car that won't need a $7000 repaint.
Old 04-05-02, 08:46 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

the one from wal-mart does this just fine
i have used them for three years and never seen any adverse effect on my paint jobs. plus, at least from my perspective, the paint has nearly ten years of abuse already. road rash and some scratches. once i have a garage to store her, i'll paint it and not worry about a car cover. This is just my perspective on the matter.
Old 04-05-02, 09:00 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Yes, I have agree with awj- save your money...

...if you are lucky enough to have lots of money to spend, then go right ahead and spend $150, but there is no reason at all to spend that much on a cover from a functional viewpoint. Here in LA, we don't have to worry much about rain, so I buy my covers to keep the dust off it, and to keep the sun from ruining the interior and paint.

awj has the right idea- $20- true, it won't be custom fitted , but so what? I put my $150, Lexus dealer custom car cover on my SC exactly once- it is a big hassle lining everything up right on a custom cover, especially the side view mirror pockets. If you are by yourself, count on circling the car 4 times.

I do agree you want a cover that "breathes", I'm just saying you can get one (well, five, actually!) for less than $150.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-05-02 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-06-02, 12:06 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

general info of car cover
http://www.carcareonline.com/car_cover.html

and I was gonna get one from this site, http://www.coolwheels.com/partssearc...%20Covercraft, but I'm not sure if they are custom fitted or universal one.
Old 04-06-02, 12:29 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

That link of the cover you were considering is exactly like the one I got at wal mart for 20$. I like the info from the first link.

The bottom line:
It's a catch 22, stuck between a rock and a hard place, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 05-06-02, 09:03 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Just got my Budge Lite Knytex (?) Car Cover for $13 on EBay!

With shipping it was $17- I am one happy camper! The eBay vendor has many more covers left- you can see them at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1823583525

.....or email him at orleansguy64@aol.com.

The size 3 is for cars up to 16 feet, 8 inches long, and our SC's are 16 feet, so I figured it would be fine, but awj is right- it is still a tad tight. Maybe once the elastic loosens up it will be ok.

I am glad I have the lip spoiler - by hooking the rear of the cover onto it, it stays put while I stretch it over the car and hook it over the front.

Here's how it looks in my driveway- my neighbors are glad to see I no longer use those <cough> ghetto <cough> bedsheets I sewed together.
Attached Thumbnails The mother of all SC Car Cover Threads (merged)-image048.jpg  
Old 05-06-02, 09:36 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Does it cover your entire car perry? It looks like the bottom of your front bumper is showing? Will a 4 be TOO big to where it is sagging on the ground?
Old 05-06-02, 10:37 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Thumbs up The Budge Size 3 is big enough to surround the entire SC.....

....but I don't like to run the cover underneath either the front or rear bumper- that makes it harder to remove, and the underside of the car is of course a bit dirtier. The elastic is strong enough to hold the cover without having to run it underneath the bumpers, but it will go there if you wish. The size 4's have the same elastic, so I bet it would take up all the slack and work OK on an SC, too.

I told the ebay guy I was gonna mention his covers on this web page- here is his response:

Perry,
Thanks for the help! I can sure use it to get the garage empty enough to get my BMW back inside! Since the eBay auctions started, I have to say that I have been swamped with work. It's driving me crazy trying to keep up with the e-mails and shipping the covers but that's the only way to get them gone! Thanks again and take care.
-Whitney

Quick Reply: The mother of all SC Car Cover Threads (merged)