SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking for advice about my SC300

Old 04-05-13, 05:16 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Remembering where you are asking this question, of course, expect to get the "keep it" advice.

I would definitely keep your car and buy replacement/upgrades as you can afford. Wish mine was a 5 speed.

I got "back" my '92 SC from my son about 20 months ago (my wife drove it for 11 years, he had it for 7 plus) and now I am in about $11K so far with a plan to invest maybe $7-9K more in the next 12-18 months. Will never get that money "back" nor expected to but felt it was still better than going after a late model IS or GS....

Good luck with your decision.... Respect which ever way you go....
Old 04-05-13, 05:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by lanning
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread, the car has 152,779 miles on it currently and I consistently get 21-22 miles per gallon. I can't complain about the gas mileage at all. I'm not worried about putting miles on the car or the reliability of the car. I guess I am just at a crossroads with the car where I am either going to keep it and put money into it that I will never get out of the car or I can trade it for an IS or GS. Just like eknine9 said I realize how hard it will be to find another SC in the same condition as this one. O.L.T. if you ever see me out make sure and say whats up.
Let me tell you what I did when I got bored with my Sc.

Is it an SC? No. Is it refined? By no means. Will it hold your *** to the headrest through 3rd gear? Yes indeed. Flowmasters, K&N intake, Steeda clutch kit, Stage 4 clutch, polished and ported heads, 285 rubber on the rear, and you can hear it from 2 roads away when you put your foot down. Bunches of fun little things done to make it a great toy.

$3400 cash and it was mine. THIS is not only your competition when selling your car, but it's your options when looking for something else for similar money. This is what you have to take into account when you are looking to get rid of your car. What is out there for the same money, and what is out there that I am up against when selling my car.

My Stang is a toy. Many people drive them daily, IDK if I would. It's like riding in a log wagon. The car beats the HELL out of me every time I hit a bump, it shakes my teeth out. It is not for people who want the refinement of a Lexus, but when I go outside I always get in the Stang for quick trips to the store........ and I mean quick. I love taking the Lexus 40 miles away, but if it's a 20 mile run I don't even pick up the keys to the Lexus to move them out of the way. I just grab the stang keys and go drive it like I stole it. For me it's a 4th car. For you it would be a 1st car. When you get bored and start thinking about finding something less boring and more fun, consider that you will only have that car.

I do have to say though I love paying $250 for a complete set of heads instead of $1250. I love $125 for a clutch. I love every thing about paying 30% of the price of Lexus parts for Mustang parts. I love having everyone and their brother making products for my car. For the Lexus there are what... 2 or 3 people making aftermarket exhaust specifically for the Lexus? I have 40+ options for exhaust on my Stang and they are all DIRT CHEAP in comparison.

All this is great, but sometimes I want a comfy Lexus. I don't have to choose, but if I did I'd have to make the decision to have tons of fun, fast, excitement driving or have a nice smooth potato salad drive every time.

SO THE BIG QUESTION......... Are you just bored with your car? Do you want something more exciting, or just newer? Do you want something cheaper? Do you want something faster? What do you want and WHY?
Old 04-05-13, 06:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
This car is far from practical and I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you'll find another like this for a very long time or ever. 5k sounds pretty reasonable though. If you ask me the SC is a car that will keep going down in market value especially because of how poor their conditions become, but it's a priceless gem to an enthusiast in this condition.
Originally Posted by lanning
I couldn't have said it any better, this is exactly how I feel right now.
See that's exactly the problem though with why I said to take it to atl or Knox.... Who are you going to sell it to that is an enthusiast in this town? Lol. You'd have to either sell it to me, Caleb, or Neal and none of us are not going to pay top dollar so as with all enthusiast cars, it doesn't matter how much it's worth to a handful of guys if they are the only ones you can sell it to for any real money.

I thin I you can put it in the paper for $4k and sell it to anyone. I think you can try for $5k to an enthusiast if you can find one that doesn't have the Internet and can find something else to spend his money on. ROCK // HARD PLACE.
Old 04-05-13, 11:31 PM
lanning
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate everybody responding to this thread. I am still not certain of what I will do or even want to do. I may just keep it for a little while longer and continue fixing the small things on it.