SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Uh 99 SC400, just got to florida?

Old 03-21-13, 06:41 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$3500 all in isn't bad... on the basis that you plan on keeping it for a long time.
Old 03-21-13, 07:27 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I reread the other thread....you said you only had $2500 cash. So why would you buy a car and put $2500 into body work? Priorities man priorities!!! Fix the mechanical problems, then fix the cosmetic problems. This wasn't a smart buy at all considering what I've read in the other thread. Even if this is the car of your dreams gas alone is going to put a huge dent in your pockets man.....and if it's not running 100% your gas mileage is only going to be worse. I wish the best for you Maserati but this doesn't seem like a smart purchase. Should have saved more cash and bought a better running car...it seems like you care more about looks then being mechanically sound.
Old 03-21-13, 07:42 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
I reread the other thread....you said you only had $2500 cash. So why would you buy a car and put $2500 into body work? Priorities man priorities!!! Fix the mechanical problems, then fix the cosmetic problems. This wasn't a smart buy at all considering what I've read in the other thread. Even if this is the car of your dreams gas alone is going to put a huge dent in your pockets man.....and if it's not running 100% your gas mileage is only going to be worse. I wish the best for you Maserati but this doesn't seem like a smart purchase. Should have saved more cash and bought a better running car...it seems like you care more about looks then being mechanically sound.
He's changing my spark plugs/oil/belt/transmission fluid, mechanical he's got covered.
Old 03-21-13, 08:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

if be bought it for a $1000 then the body work is $2500.

I would of bought this in a heartbeat for a grand
Old 03-21-13, 10:12 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't get why some of you hate on salvaged titles so much, as long its restored properly and its cheaper in price what's the big deal? Mine is salvaged and I got it that way cus it was a good deal, I got it to drive the crap out of it and then dispose of it when I'm done, just like any other car. You guys need to realize your driving a 12+ year old car not worth much to begin with. Its not a collectable or rare car, so get real.
Old 03-21-13, 10:14 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
$3500 all in isn't bad... on the basis that you plan on keeping it for a long time.
+1
I personally never touch salvage title cars but congrats, hopefully you get it fixed and post some pics of the makeover!
Old 03-21-13, 10:16 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read your other thread so I didn't have history, didn't realize you had already bought the thing. So I won't beat a dead horse. Just good luck. Is this guy who's hooking you a real good buddy or family? Wish I had someone to hook it all up for me like that.. lol Just be aware that because it's a $3500 car, that it will still cost quite a bit more to run than an economy $3500 car like an Accord or Civic in terms of gas and maintenance.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 03-21-13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 10:20 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeRoSe7en
I really don't get why some of you hate on salvaged titles so much, as long its restored properly and its cheaper in price what's the big deal? Mine is salvaged and I got it that way cus it was a good deal, I got it to drive the crap out of it and then dispose of it when I'm done, just like any other car. You guys need to realize your driving a 12+ year old car not worth much to begin with. Its not a collectable or rare car, so get real.
With mentality like that you shouldnt drive a SC period.
Old 03-21-13, 10:27 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZeRoSe7en
The term "hate" gets thrown around for everything and it's getting old. It's just being this thing called REALISTIC. There's a reason that they're cheap and banks won't finance them, some insurance companies won't cover them either since they're high risk vehicles. And it's not only because of the loss of value. You're right that it's an old car, but it's also unsafe if it was rebuilt from a total loss.

Buying a salvage title car is like rolling the dice. If it was a stolen salvage, then it's a relatively safe buy since none of the safety items or structure of the car have been compromised. But since there is nothing to differentiate between a stolen salvage and a total loss car that has been rebuilt, it's just safer not to buy salvage. If the car sustained any sort of structural damage then realigned and rebuilt, I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near as strong or are safe should you get into an accident with it. Then there are the issues of things not aligning correctly, electrical issues if the car was a flood vehicle, safety devices no longer working as intended, etc. To me, it's a veritable deathtrap regardless of the value it holds.
Old 03-21-13, 10:43 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

And why not? Does it make you feel elite driving an old overpriced Toyota? Look I love my car and its probably cleaner and better maintained than some of the rust buckets some of you guys drive, but I bought it cus its NA-T, plan to make 500+ HP and beat on it till the wheels fall off. I guess it depends what you want out of your car and how well it was maintained. I got it to modify so it doesn't bother me that it had a salvaged title. Now if I was building or keeping a trailer queen, well that's a whole different story...
Old 03-21-13, 10:48 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

Here in Arizona salvaged cars have to pass a strict reconstruction inspection to be able to register, and I've never had a problem getting full coverage insurance for any of my cars, granted its worth less if wrecked out. Safety issues I'm not concerned over, if I was I would be driving a Volvo lol
Old 03-21-13, 11:08 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

LOL @ "overpriced Toyota". I doubt most here bought and SC for elite status. At least for myself, I know that even if it was under the Toyota badge, I'd still own one because to me, the design of the car sells it to me. That and the sound/power of the V8. And relatively speaking, it is pretty rare compared to the numerous GT coupes like the G35/37 that I see rolling around out there.

As for the salvage title issue, even with strict reconstruction regulations, I'm sure there's no real way to test the structural rigidity of a salvaged car. If it's like Cali, they just look to make sure that all the lights are working, the brakes are functioning, that it's roadworthy, tracking straight, and that you have all the receipts for any safety devices such as airbags that were replaced. As for safety, I'm just talking about bare minimum of safety if you're driving it on the street since you're not wearing a helmet and sporting a full rollcage like you would on the track. Now for track vehicles, I think salvage is the way to go since you're just gonna beat the crap out of the car anyway.
Old 03-21-13, 11:13 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

And to get back on topic, best of luck to the OP, hopefully everything works out with his newly acquired SC.
Old 03-21-13, 11:31 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

Totally agree with you Dougspeed, and the "elite" quote was meant for Joey-E, saying I shouldn't be driving an old Lexus. Anyway yea best advise when buying a salvaged car is to have someone inspect it before perchise, the op's car looks fine to me, I would buy it for a discounted price like he did, good job I say
Old 03-22-13, 02:16 AM
bank
Driver

Even though I personally would not touch a salvage titled car, for $1k that's a really good deal. Congrats on the purchase!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Uh 99 SC400, just got to florida?