SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

steering wheel replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 06:52 PM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel replacement?

Hey guys, I've looked up a lot about replacing the stock steering wheel to a 3 spoke. Everyone just swaps to the is300's but I'm not looking for that, I just simply want a cheap ebay steering wheel, as long as it is 3 spoke and a momo or nrg, even knock off, I don't really mind. I guess my main question here is when grabbing something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEERING-WHE...919a6c&vxp=mtr this, should It directly just fit on to the stock connection? It says it fits sc300, but I'm not sure if the horn will still work with this, or even if the horn doesn't still work (which isn't a big deal) will this even fit with just any momo steering wheel? Anyone know a place where I should look better than ebay to buy a replacement 3 spoke wheel? Thanks for any info guys...

also I have a stock soarer with the griffin emblem in the middle instead of the lexus emblem, black, leather and in perfect condition, which I am replacing with a 3 spoke just because I was used to my is300's before and I like the feeling better. Would this steering wheel generally be worth more than the lexus one and do people trade these often?
http://s15.beta.photobucket.com/user...romLegacy=true Thats a pic of it.
Old 02-13-13, 08:28 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so ya know, the knock off's are indeed "cheap".
What I mean is: The metal is thinner, and softer. You can bend one of those steering wheels in half with your bare hands; so try not to get in an accident, otherwise your head will be donning a permanent Mong Kon that you can wear to Muay Thai practice :\
How do I know that? 'Cus I did it. I got mad one time, and banged my hand on the wheel, suddenly bending it.
Thats when I chose to get a quality one instead (which I also bought on eBay, but it's not the store you buy from, its the brand you buy). Get a Sparco wheel; I had the "Lap 5" version; they're strong, as well as elegant. I paid $145 shipped.

Regarding your Soarer wheel; thats a sweet wheel, and if you had the Tan one instead, I'd trade you right now.
As far as hub adaptors go, yes, the horn will still work. The wire you see in the middle, is the connector. The aftermarket wheel will include a badge in the middle (thats your new horn button). I recommend you extend the wire a bit with another one (just sodder or sumtin' so its firm), and then "coil" it, before mounting the new wheel. This way you can turn the wheel however, without it being tangled inside. It's just neater, and neatness = safety. Better to have peace of mind that your parts are gonna work without flaw.

Last edited by SEIDO; 02-13-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 02:35 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Just so ya know, the knock off's are indeed "cheap".
What I mean is: The metal is thinner, and softer. You can bend one of those steering wheels in half with your bare hands; so try not to get in an accident, otherwise your head will be donning a permanent Mong Kon that you can wear to Muay Thai practice :\
How do I know that? 'Cus I did it. I got mad one time, and banged my hand on the wheel, suddenly bending it.
มงคล
Hilarious!
(You must train, that is too obscure to most)
Old 02-14-13, 02:43 PM
Volume123
Driver

lol ya ill get that wheel exactly what i want anyways, thanks man.
Old 02-14-13, 03:06 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

youve been warned

Old 02-14-13, 07:49 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
มงคล
Hilarious!
(You must train, that is too obscure to most)
Yeah, I fought at National Team-Trials in 2008 for Olympic Taekwondo.
I also made Penn State the winningest team in the history of Collegiate Taekwondo, having gone undefeated at two Championships in 2011 (most people only care about Football though).
Now I train Muay Thai; I wanna get into the K1 Championships.

You can watch my fights (if you like Taekwondo): YouTube - "Marcos Duarte Taekwondo"

Last edited by SEIDO; 02-14-13 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 07:53 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the NRG wheel and hub. I had to remove the clock spring to work with the hub. So the cruise control and horn were gone. They give you some attachments in the kit to make the horn work but it seemed like adapters for a non-airbag/non clock spring setup. I also had to buy their quick release hub to allow for enough room to have the horn clear the nut that holds the hub on the column. I really like the wheel but the turn signal stalks are about an inch too far away from the wheel. Its weird when you go for the blinker and you totally miss it.

Last edited by Vwpride12; 02-14-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 07:55 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Yeah, I fought at National Team-Trials in 2008 for Olympic Taekwondo.
I also made Penn State the winningest team in the history of Collegiate Taekwondo having gone undefeated at two Championships in 2011 (most people only care about Football though).
Now I train Muay Thai; I wanna get into the K1 Championships.
AWESOME!
Ha, Penn is pretty big on rasslin' too.
(I train with Phil Nurse and Coban in NYC) Good luck at K1! Keep me posted!! Ill check it and PM you)
Old 02-14-13, 11:49 PM
Volume123
Driver

Lol wow, that video is ridiculous. So sad they can even sell these legally, huge safety issue I would imagine.

Yup penn state was always some of the biggest competition in wrestling, to get on the subject you guys are speaking of haha.