SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What would it take to get a spindle grille on the sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 12:49 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go, I took a few minutes to do a quick Photo-chop. This is the new Lexus IS factory bumper grafted onto a Ducks Garden Grif-One front bumper. (I personally like how the lowbeam areas are partially covered on the Grif-One bumper and wrap around towards the side skirt w/this kit- and it's satisfying to demolish the ****ty Aston Martin front grill in the process!! Ha) Then I added some nice Volk TE-37's w/lippage

Also, keep in mind there's no telling how big the IS grille really is in comparison to the SC without physically trying to fit the parts.
A Photochop-job can be very misleading, I highly doubt it would turn out anywhere close to the above chop... But who knows- Just humoring the thread topic to see how it looked.

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 11-10-16 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 01:41 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

nice photoshop but ouch , not for me .

on a side note that sc430 is really nice
Old 02-08-13, 07:08 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the corner bumper where it meets the fender looks completely out of place, the bumper is square the body of the car is round.
Old 02-08-13, 09:17 AM
BSanders22
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That SC430 looks good, but no... it will look really weird on the 300/400's in my opinion... Most conversions just look terrible in my opinion, I've only seen a few cars that really look good and look like OEM parts, but they are few and far between.
Old 02-08-13, 04:18 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Good photoshop work, but nah, wont work. Leave it the way it is. I guess the lack of it is one of those imperfections that make it perfect.

Sexy looking 430.
Old 02-08-13, 08:44 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The OEM bumper already has that design, it just isn't "cut-out" the way it is in the new models.
Not feeling the photoshop above however. If you follow the OEM design (which I've outlined here, in black) I think you could probably make sumtin' happen, nicely.

Last edited by SEIDO; 02-10-13 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-08-13, 09:51 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

It could look good. But the bottom would need different lines. Not so curvy/cut since it doesnt match our lines. Has potential in my mind for sure. No doubt.
Old 02-09-13, 05:04 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Yeah my very quick photochop is not perfect by any means, I just wanted to see what sort of "potential" it had as an idea. Also, it's better than what's been tried thus far (ie: Nothing); Anyone care to one-up my 5 minute try?

Yeah definitely MDSC, some of the squarish angles of this OE bumper I basically cut and pasted would need to be modded to fit the SC shape. My Photochops were just made to show what the grille might look like- Someone else can design an actual kit or spend more time warping and shading it. Feel free to mod any of these quick chops that I do w/different bodywork or paint, wheels, etc.

Here's another quick one I just stitched together:

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 11-10-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-09-13, 11:29 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

I've come to the conclusion that the SC is just the height of perfection in auto design lol ...
No matter what ya do to it, you just "can't" improve it's looks; it's just "that" beautiful!

Here's a lil' sumtin' ...
Although, I'd like to see the same thing, but including the high beams, with the cut-out/grill starting where the original lines are (as in my above example).

Oh, and incase you guys are wondering (since I don't have photoshop) I use this website called "Photo Editor Online"; it's basically Photoshop. I still don't know what Im doing though; I just take the tools that are simplest, and make the best of them. Here, I used the dodge tool, to brighten-up the bumper "behind" the grill, so it appears to shine thru a little bit ...

http://pixlr.com/editor/

Last edited by SEIDO; 02-10-13 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-10-13, 09:56 PM
bank
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can actually see this working. The grill would have to match the sc's curves though.
Old 02-10-13, 10:16 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

This would be an interesting thing to pull off. I personally don't think it would work. But hey, might as well try
Old 02-11-13, 01:19 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you guys are using the wrong grill for the occasion. i think the LS460 grill would fit better since there is a gap between both grill mesh portions like on the OP's SC430 and I THINK for it to work you would somehow have to bow the lines of the grill to match the SC's round-ish headlights.

or the non mesh version

Last edited by iridebmx; 02-11-13 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-11-13, 01:46 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Somebody do another photoshop, this is interesting
(Don't delete the high's though; just sayin').
Old 02-11-13, 11:17 AM
SliC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT

Here you go, I took a few minutes to do a quick Photo-chop. This is the new Lexus IS factory bumper grafted onto a Ducks Garden Grif-One front bumper. (With and without High-beams.) (I personally like how the headlight areas are partially covered and wrap around towards the side skirt w/this kit- and it's satisfying to demolish the ****ty Aston Martin front in the process. heh)

Also, keep in mind there's no telling how big the IS grille really is in comparison to the SC without physically trying to fit the parts.
A Photochop-job can be very misleading, I highly doubt it would turn out anywhere close to the above chop... But who knows- Just humoring the thread topic to see how it looked.
This actually looks really good, however I would think that there woud need to be an updated rear bumper as well, otherwise it would just look like a silly ricer IMO...
Old 02-11-13, 11:51 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Spent a little more time on this one. I like the LS bumper lights, also definitely without the mesh is best. Still pretty "busy":

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 11-10-16 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: What would it take to get a spindle grille on the sc400?