SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My drivers side window wont roll down!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 05:49 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My drivers side window wont roll down!

Hey guys, My drivers side window wont roll down, My locks still work and I thought it was just a bad switch but I replaced the switch and it still wont. I know that the window rolls down fine because when you hook a battery to it, it will roll up and down just fine. I thought it was maybe a bad ground for the motor but we grounded it and still nothing. My passenger side rolls down just fine with the passenger side switch (Drivers side switch wont roll down the passenger side window either) I have checked all the fuses as well.
Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 02-06-13, 11:55 PM
chiken
Rookie

Broken wire in the door harness. Usually right where it goes into the door by the hinge. Hold the button down with one hand and move the harness around with the other to see if you get intermittent connection. Mine was doing the exact same thing. Just fixed it the other day. Easy fix.
Old 02-07-13, 04:09 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I personally was experiencing this on my passenger side window. It would roll down and you could only roll it down halfway or the regulator would not have the power to bring the window back up. What I, and my brother did was remove the door panel, then re-bent the regulator metal support bracket so the window wasn't scraping against the rubber trim. I still do not like to roll that window down, but it works just fine now. Just a little slow. If you attempt this, make sure not to bust the door panel. At least $300 to replace and the plastic is as brittle as crap. There is a thread by O.L.T here on CL on repairing the panel for 6 bucks.
Hope this works for you like it did for me.

PS: To access the regulator I had to remove the door handle assembly. Didn't put it in correctly and put everything back together, then closed the door. No way of accessing that with the door closed stuck! Some how the handle finally found it's place and reconnected, so I was able to open it within 20 tries or so.
Old 02-07-13, 04:22 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

Thanks for the comments guys, I will check out the wiring by the door and I will do the regulator thing on the passenger side so maybe it will speed up, my passenger window is suuuppppeeerrrr sslllooowwww!!!
Old 02-08-13, 05:53 AM
chiken
Rookie

The passenger window wont go down with the master switch because most likely the main power to the master is the wire that is broken which from the master is the one that feeds both sides. You can test right at the switch for it. Ill get you a wire color in a little while.
Old 02-08-13, 08:33 AM
chiken
Rookie

You can pull up the master switch and just check for power at the thicker solid blue wire if I remember right, I can find my diagram I printed out ATM. If there is no power that is your problem, that should have consant power with Key on. If that is your problem then you need to take off your drivers kick panel, unplug the plugs for the door harness under there and pull it through your door jam and through your door. You have to have the door panel off to do that, then pull the harness out of the main open section of the door panel so you can work on it, you won't have to disconnect anything from the door other than the main things when pulling the door panel off. The whole job took me about a half an hour. They usually brake right where it bends going into the door itself, you will have to remove and unravel all of the electrical tape and harness loom to get to the broken spot. I have a picture of the repair on my thread I made last week.
Old 02-08-13, 03:19 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

Hey thanks for all the comments, I forgot to mention that their is power going right to the wires where it plugs into the switch
Old 02-08-13, 04:36 PM
chiken
Rookie

There us more than one power supply for different things. The thick blue one was my main window power on my car (92 sc400) the ground could be broken as well so you may be getting power but not grounding.
Old 02-08-13, 09:02 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiken
There us more than one power supply for different things. The thick blue one was my main window power on my car (92 sc400) the ground could be broken as well so you may be getting power but not grounding.
Alright thanks man, I will check it out tomorrow
Old 09-06-13, 06:20 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

I have a new wiring harness on the way so we will see if this fixes things. I didnt want to have a bunch of cut up and jumped wires everywhere so I decided to go with a new harness. If that doesnt fix it then the only thing it could be is the motor since I already replaced the switch. I will keep y'all posted whenever I get it in
Old 09-09-13, 05:32 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

***UPDATE***
I got the new harness in today and got it hooked up and it works!!! After a year of opening my door at drive through's I can finally roll my windows down!!!
Old 09-11-13, 01:45 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

New problem, I was driving around with my windows down for the first time ever, I pulled back into the driveway and my window wouldn't roll back up! I plugged my other switch in and still nothing, it eventually would go up about an inch then stop then another inch then stop and so on. I finally got it rolled back up and after that it worked perfectly. Today I had my window down and it started to rain so I went to roll it up and the same thing! After I got back home it finally rolled back up. I am pretty sure it's a bad connection somewhere but does anyone know something in particular that could cause this?
Old 09-11-13, 02:53 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so this is with the new harness? i had the same problem on my regulators, it like just over heats, after while itll roll back up again, its just slow though. I just try not to roll it up and down so much in a short period o f time.
Old 09-11-13, 07:20 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
so this is with the new harness? i had the same problem on my regulators, it like just over heats, after while itll roll back up again, its just slow though. I just try not to roll it up and down so much in a short period o f time.
Yes its with the new harness, could this be a connection or grounding issue? Should I just buy a new regulator?
Old 09-11-13, 07:32 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah try a new regulator or regrease or whatever the existing one, i have no clue whats wrong with mine, i just live with it.

Quick Reply: My drivers side window wont roll down!