SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 08:33 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
The body shop I go to for materials sells a thinner for the clear, they only recomend using 5-10% if needed, but I use much more then recomended for reasons I stated earlier.

I realise my technique might not be one tought at school but i can tell you ive learned from experiance, the thicker the clear coat you spray the more orange peeling and flaws you are likely to get, it takes much longer to dry and is in general much less forgiving.

When i thin the clear out and spray very thin coats you literally get next to no orange peeling or flaws, I do need to apply more coats though.

I am not saying I am a pro finisher, I am very open to hearing other peoples techniques and tricks but for now this is the system i use and it works for me.

Also my car is an original finish, I dont think I will be using sealer or primer except on areas where i did body work, I will sand off the clear and get into the original base, but i will do a little more research to see if maybe i should lay sealer over the original base, although i never have before.
well i'm telling you then youre doing it wrong the whole car needs to be primed and sanded prior to laying base unless youre painting over a brand new finish or almost brand new you can scuff the clear and paint. The thinner you speaking of is Flow enhancer and is used to spray clear in hot and humid days usually.
here i put a list together for people doing DYI, also remember this dosent include a DA or an OK gun that can be bought for $200 and DA for $100. It dosent include shipping which is another $70 dollars. This is Cheaper materials i have used to paint my own car, and many other projects their poduct is decent but if i had to do it again i will buy better products, and i already have. When it comes time to change the color of my car i will not be using this product again, but for an average DYier its not a bad start.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/SprayPaintDepot/Cart.aspx
Old 02-07-13, 09:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I get the "cart is empty" message.
You may need to take a picture or screen shot of your cart so we can see the parts.
Old 02-07-13, 10:09 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

yea i get the same message when I click the link
Old 02-07-13, 10:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

when i paint my car i buy as much metallic flake as possible. i want my car to sparkle like Jacob from Twilight

jk just trying to lighten the mood in this thread
Old 02-07-13, 10:33 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

here you go
Attached Thumbnails Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-paint.jpg  
Old 02-07-13, 10:34 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
when i paint my car i buy as much metallic flake as possible. i want my car to sparkle like Jacob from Twilight

jk just trying to lighten the mood in this thread
lmfao
Old 02-07-13, 10:36 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

only difference in that cart is i chose the 3" DA disk which arent the correct one the correct ones are 6" and are double the price so add another 70 for shipping and 75 for the correct DA paper
Old 02-07-13, 10:58 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TCP is local here in San Diego...they also mix paint if you ask them too. Incase you want a bunch of flake in your base or clear to look like Jacob from twilight...
Old 02-07-13, 10:59 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correction...my female co worker said Jacob is the wolf and doesn't glitter...thats Edward. So if you wanted Jacob just 3m spray glue shagg to your car! dumb and dumber style...lol
Old 02-07-13, 11:33 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
TCP is local here in San Diego...they also mix paint if you ask them too. Incase you want a bunch of flake in your base or clear to look like Jacob from twilight...
if you want bunch of flake use Kustom Shop Metallics, sure its cheap and looks good but good god you will have the flake everywhere. All over you shoes, clothes, hair, floor and anywhere in 150 feet radius. Their metallics have so much flake it settles like dust, when we sprayed the base coat on my car 10 minutes later we took tack cloths and wiped it all down and went out to lunch. When we came back over an hour later we wiped it down again before we sprayed the kandy and there was alof of loose flakes on the base coat. Its also very hard to clean the gun out if you want to use same gun for clear and base. Unless you want a bunch of flake in your clear, you will waste half a gallon of cleaner to clean all the flake out of the gun.
Old 02-07-13, 11:34 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say how much I am paying for my materials because if I paint 2 sc's two different colors. Say one red and one white could be 100-300$ price difference. I mean are you adding in mica's pearl so many variables and what the mixing instructions may call for 10 different colors to make that particular red. You just never used a mixing bank before which means you have never painted before which leads me to ask. Why is this thread here you have no idea what your doing. I am I car platinum certified and graduated from wyotechs collision refinishing program so yeah....
Old 02-07-13, 11:43 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And just because
Old 02-07-13, 12:08 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
correction...my female co worker said Jacob is the wolf and doesn't glitter...thats Edward. So if you wanted Jacob just 3m spray glue shagg to your car! dumb and dumber style...lol
I dont know the difference, just trying to make a funny
Old 02-07-13, 12:10 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is like some guys pay $2500 for a 2J GTE swap, while others pay $10000. Lol. As long as you're happy with what you have, that's what counts.
Old 02-07-13, 12:45 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stevechumo
This thread is like some guys pay $2500 for a 2J GTE swap, while others pay $10000. Lol. As long as you're happy with what you have, that's what counts.
would love to see what a $2500 gte swap looks like and how long it last just like a $500 paint job. I think a $500 paint job is more doable then a $2500 gte swap LMAO

Quick Reply: Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)