SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wired my battery backwards (SOLVED)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 09:16 AM
nguminh
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wired my battery backwards (SOLVED)

So, I'm currently doing a SC400 W58 swap and the other day I just finished putting everything together. When I turned on the car, there wasn't enough juice for the car to turn over and I knew my battery was going to crap so I went to Auto Zone and got a new one. I was too excited to start my car that I didn't check that the battery was opposite polarity. So when it connected it made a big spark and it blew some fuses. Well now I got the right battery and I checked all the fuses and replaced the ones that blew. The problem now is that the cluster lights don't turn on when I put the key in and I can't even start the car. Would anyone know what the problem would be? I'm thinking it's one of the relays but not sure which one.. Also where can I find a 150a fusible link?..

Last edited by nguminh; 01-26-13 at 05:24 PM. Reason: wrong problem
Old 01-26-13, 10:11 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cluster fuse is in the kick panel. You could have fried a number of things, ecu is one of them.
Old 01-26-13, 12:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Yeah this isn't a cluster problem......... I'll adjust the title so the proper help can find the thread.
Old 01-26-13, 12:13 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check everything...fuses, relay's, and the harness coming out of the fuse box. Make sure none of the smaller wires melted.
Old 01-26-13, 02:08 PM
JasonTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about this man, I do electrical design for a living and deal with clients determining point of failure in their systems so i know first hand the headache this can be.

i usually like to try the simplest things first IF you have checked all the fusable links.

first i would suggest you puck up a volt meter with a millivolt scale they can be had relatively cheap(just saw one for $12 at walmart, you might be able to find cheaper.). and a run of wire maybe 20'

use the long run of wire to connect the ground of your voltmeter to your battery

this tool will help you in a few ways it will tell you if you have power, contunity in the wires, and prolly most importiant for you, you can perform a voltage drop test.. I would strongly recomend you do a little reading on voltage drop if you are not familar with it. you want no more than 500 millivolt drop in any system on your vehicle.

turn on the system you want to check

If you have no voltage theres is a break in that circuit (check the fusable links)

If you do find a drop greater than 500mV before a load in any circuit you have something stealing power from the circuit (follow the circuit path and look for melted wires or burned components where the circut has lost its connection or fused to another circuit)

hopefully someone will be kind enough to link you to a wire diagram, I'm new to the site so there may be one stickied somewhere

good luck

-jec

Last edited by JasonTX; 01-26-13 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 02:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I agree perfectly with that aside of the fact most people only get themselves in worse. A pro knows when to stop and regroup and try a different angle, has plenty of experience and backup knowledge to deal with issues that arise and unexpected problems. Knows where not to put the hot wire and why, and knows why they are specifically looking for bigger than a half a volt drop in the circuit. They won't be able to determine if there is a diode inline dropping the voltage 6 tenths or if they have a bad coil on their relay inline.

It's damn good advice for being correct advice, but it really opens up a lot of worms which is why I don't post super detailed tech. It almost always causes more problems than good. If it can't be done simply, let someone properly able do it. Stick to basic checks.
Old 01-26-13, 05:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

this happened to my old honda once and luckily it was only the main fuse that needed to be replaced, also it fried the battery completely. since its a lexus I would like to think they have safety precautions that have protected your major components, ecu, alt etc.....

Your battery is probably gone forsure though.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-13, 05:28 PM
nguminh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
The cluster fuse is in the kick panel. You could have fried a number of things, ecu is one of them.
Yeah I checked the cluster fuse it was fine. Hopefully it isn't my ECU...

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Yeah this isn't a cluster problem......... I'll adjust the title so the proper help can find the thread.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Check everything...fuses, relay's, and the harness coming out of the fuse box. Make sure none of the smaller wires melted.
I spent the day inspecting all the fuses and relays and most of the wires. Waiting for my ALT fusible link to come in, I've been reading and that seems to be the solution.

Originally Posted by JasonTX
sorry to hear about this man, I do electrical design for a living and deal with clients determining point of failure in their systems so i know first hand the headache this can be.

i usually like to try the simplest things first IF you have checked all the fusable links.

first i would suggest you puck up a volt meter with a millivolt scale they can be had relatively cheap(just saw one for $12 at walmart, you might be able to find cheaper.). and a run of wire maybe 20'

use the long run of wire to connect the ground of your voltmeter to your battery

this tool will help you in a few ways it will tell you if you have power, contunity in the wires, and prolly most importiant for you, you can perform a voltage drop test.. I would strongly recomend you do a little reading on voltage drop if you are not familar with it. you want no more than 500 millivolt drop in any system on your vehicle.

turn on the system you want to check

If you have no voltage theres is a break in that circuit (check the fusable links)

If you do find a drop greater than 500mV before a load in any circuit you have something stealing power from the circuit (follow the circuit path and look for melted wires or burned components where the circut has lost its connection or fused to another circuit)

hopefully someone will be kind enough to link you to a wire diagram, I'm new to the site so there may be one stickied somewhere

good luck

-jec
Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I agree perfectly with that aside of the fact most people only get themselves in worse. A pro knows when to stop and regroup and try a different angle, has plenty of experience and backup knowledge to deal with issues that arise and unexpected problems. Knows where not to put the hot wire and why, and knows why they are specifically looking for bigger than a half a volt drop in the circuit. They won't be able to determine if there is a diode inline dropping the voltage 6 tenths or if they have a bad coil on their relay inline.

It's damn good advice for being correct advice, but it really opens up a lot of worms which is why I don't post super detailed tech. It almost always causes more problems than good. If it can't be done simply, let someone properly able do it. Stick to basic checks.
Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
this happened to my old honda once and luckily it was only the main fuse that needed to be replaced, also it fried the battery completely. since its a lexus I would like to think they have safety precautions that have protected your major components, ecu, alt etc.....

Your battery is probably gone forsure though.

Good luck.
This is extremely useful info thanks! I will try this if the 150a Fusible link doesn't fix my problem.
Old 01-26-13, 07:17 PM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a headache when i blew my battery and alternator as well. Goodluck to you pretty sure the alt fusible link will do it. Worked for me when i replaced EVERYTHING
Old 01-26-13, 08:07 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn bro hope you get it figured out
Old 01-27-13, 10:08 AM
nguminh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MXT4life
I had a headache when i blew my battery and alternator as well. Goodluck to you pretty sure the alt fusible link will do it. Worked for me when i replaced EVERYTHING
Yeah it ended up being the alt fusible link. It works now!

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Damn bro hope you get it figured out
Yeah got it running this morning.
Old 01-27-13, 10:34 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

great man
Old 01-27-13, 10:47 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear about your issues. Just some info for ppl buying batteries from AutoZone, they have incorrect information inside their database about our batteries. I bought a battery last summer and they had the vice versa positive/negative info. I finally bought the correct one but it could have been a major issue similar to the OP.
Old 01-27-13, 04:06 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by nguminh
Yeah it ended up being the alt fusible link. It works now!

Yeah got it running this morning.
Congrats Minh.

Where did you find the 150A fusible link?
Old 01-27-13, 05:12 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had something similar happen to me got the fusible link from autozone, worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: Wired my battery backwards (SOLVED)