Screw Headlight Restorer Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 12:45 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screw Headlight Restorer Kits

Yesterday, I took this picture....

I got disgusted by how my headlights look so damn white, fogged up. I had to work on that GTR, btw, paint protection film. After I finished that, pulled my SC in to wash it. Then looking at the dulled headlights, I was determined to try something. I didn't want to leave to go buy some $20 headlight restorer kit, or more for replacement headlights. I'll let the following pictures do the talking. End results were good enough for me

(I did the passenger light already... I guess it's how the light is being reflected... I used my iphone for these pics. But you still notice the clarity difference)

Meguiar's Scratch-X. they're like $8. Save a few bucks from buying headlight restorer kits. I'm sure it's virtually the same crap that would come in a kit minus the sponges. cloths and whatever else you don't need. Then after the Scratch-X, I used Meguair's Quick Detailer spray. It'll help to keep it from dulling again.
Old 01-19-13, 12:59 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

to get better results start with 1000 grit sand paper and wet sand untill completely cloudy. then work your way up to 3000 grit. each stage should take about 10 min. 1000-1500-2000-2500-3000. Then use a Circular Buffer and Polish them. they will look like glass...

Old 01-19-13, 01:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Good luck doing that every month....

Wetsand them and have a shop clearcoat the lens. Nothing else will be permanent.
Old 01-19-13, 01:48 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Wetsand them and have a shop clearcoat the lens. Nothing else will be permanent.
This right here. Wetsanding followed by several coats of polish is great, I've done it to several different cars, but if you do not clearcoat the lens afterwards they will cloud up very soon, unless you wax your hedlights often, and even then they will soon fade as the factory protection is no longer there.
Old 01-19-13, 04:03 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Originally Posted by eknine9
This right here. Wetsanding followed by several coats of polish is great, I've done it to several different cars, but if you do not clearcoat the lens afterwards they will cloud up very soon, unless you wax your hedlights often, and even then they will soon fade as the factory protection is no longer there.
Well put. I forgot my secret step. I used a spray on Epoxy I got at Home depot. its used to finish counter tops. its now been 3 years, No yellowing or fog here
Old 01-19-13, 04:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Well put. I forgot my secret step. I used a spray on Epoxy I got at Home depot. its used to finish counter tops. its now been 3 years, No yellowing or fog here
That's a good idea. Do you remember the name of the epoxy? Did it come in a spray can or did you have to use a spray gun with it?

I wetsanded mine up to about 1000 grit and had a shop clearcoat my lights. The clear fills in the scratches so it looks perfect when it's done. Epoxy would do the same thing.
Old 01-19-13, 04:33 PM
Davidddd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sanding is the best imo
Old 01-19-13, 05:20 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info here

OP need to fix that huge Extreme Dimensions hood and bumper gap on that kit.
Old 01-19-13, 05:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The last headlight looks like new money $$$$...
Old 01-19-13, 05:54 PM
Tac1sc
Driver

More info on that home depot epoxy pls! Have to wet sand/ polish my lights every 6 months or so, cheap and easy just time consuming. Would like to make them look clear and shiny a lil longer.
Old 01-19-13, 05:56 PM
rickytsui
Rookie

i did my with wet sand and compound and it come out clean
Old 01-19-13, 06:29 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Good info here

OP need to fix that huge Extreme Dimensions hood and bumper gap on that kit.
I bought the car with the hood like that. TRUST ME, I want to resolve it. It's a VIS cf hood and I think that it is bowed and it's not an installation issue. All other edges are pretty flush, except the front. If I can find a scheme to get another hood from VIS for free, then yea. If not, I'll see if I can put spacers under the bumper and see if it can come up a bit. But then if I did that, I wouldn't be able to access the latch. The hood doesn't lock down, it can only catch the first latch, not the locking latch. Thankfully the guy installed hood pins which I wish were locking hood pins...
Old 01-19-13, 06:32 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

To everyone else about the sanding and coatibg the headlight, I've seen that done. However, over time I see the clear peeling off... not sure if it was done right and what not... But I don't mind using scratch x everyone month, takes two seconds quick fix.
Old 01-19-13, 06:33 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheAzn
I bought the car with the hood like that. TRUST ME, I want to resolve it. It's a VIS cf hood and I think that it is bowed and it's not an installation issue. All other edges are pretty flush, except the front. If I can find a scheme to get another hood from VIS for free, then yea. If not, I'll see if I can put spacers under the bumper and see if it can come up a bit. But then if I did that, I wouldn't be able to access the latch. The hood doesn't lock down, it can only catch the first latch, not the locking latch. Thankfully the guy installed hood pins which I wish were locking hood pins...
The only thing.... and I mean ONLY thing that will save that bumper is the trash can.
Old 01-19-13, 06:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheAzn
To everyone else about the sanding and coatibg the headlight, I've seen that done. However, over time I see the clear peeling off... not sure if it was done right and what not... But I don't mind using scratch x everyone month, takes two seconds quick fix.
What do you consider as "over time"? Hell most factory coatings will fail after about 10 years, most much sooner.

So technically nothing is permanent, but having it last several years beats the hell out of the buff and wax method every few months.

If it's done right with a proper sealer than a quality clearcoat (not a spray can one...one that is two components), there is no reason it will not last several years.

Quick Reply: Screw Headlight Restorer Kits