SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 04:14 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSlug
True. Saw it on a commercial, Was so shocked I rounded the number up even more!!. lol. It does say 268 on Toyota's page though.

But hey, When the day comes and my 250hp SC4 gets mugged by a 2012 V6 Camry. I will literally debage my car I will be so ashamed. Lexus bages and all!!
1UZ VVTI swap lol,shouldn't get mopped then
Old 01-20-13, 11:32 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're really serious about increasing our car's value... we could always just total a couple hundred of them and create a shortage in the market while also creating a surplus of spare parts. Killing two birds with one stone really.

Who wants to volunteer to total their cars for the good of the value of our cars?
Old 01-20-13, 11:54 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

The value on SC's seems to vary with each location. The decent looking ones I see for sale in my area are $6,000 and up. Even the crappy SC's go for at least $3,000. It's a different story in places like Florida or California where SC's are much more common though.

The SC is an awesome car, but I don't see the value going up much higher. If the SC came with the 1JZ-GTE and all of the features of the Soarers in Japan did things might be different. I personally wouldn't pay much for an SC unless it was in mint condition, was boosted, or was cleanly modded with high quality parts.
Old 01-20-13, 12:47 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I am starting to "invest" a fair amount of money to take my SC300 back to "as new" condition." That said, this is done to simply to please myself. I have no interest in its resale value per se.
Old 01-20-13, 12:53 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Exactly.

I don't see how I was trolling at all.

Anyway, what can we do to increase our cars' overall value, OR it's overall appeal?
Lol. Nothing...the people who own these now are for the most part enthusiasts. If you aren't an enthusiast, or owner who bought one because you always wanted one this car is rather un appealing. It's under powered, it's heavy, it is the size of a jet. And to top it off the go fast aftermarket is small aside from dropping in a turbo, or a gte motor.

Low appeal means the prices stay low. Look at fox body mustangs of the same year...they sell for far more than they should due to the large aftermarket support and general popularity.
Old 01-20-13, 05:11 PM
JasonTX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brucelee1
I am starting to "invest" a fair amount of money to take my SC300 back to "as new" condition." That said, this is done to simply to please myself. I have no interest in its resale value per se.
i'm in the same boat. not really looking to sell my car or mod it, other than the radio its stock. I just want an affordable, comfortable, dependable car for my wife and i to drive. For that reason it seems to me the sc is a really well kept secret. Personally i would not mind it staying this way.

That being said raising the value of our 15year old cars would prolly only take waiting another 10 years
Old 01-20-13, 05:55 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
If you're really serious about increasing our car's value... we could always just total a couple hundred of them and create a shortage in the market while also creating a surplus of spare parts. Killing two birds with one stone really.
Somebody mentioned "collector car", and thats another good point ...
Our cars should be going up in value, as the '92 becomes a Classic soon (if it isn't already; what's it 20 years? or 25?).

Anyway, this is the first post pertaining to the actual point of this thread; thanks ek
Heres the sort of thinking Im looking for from everyone; and thats a very clever idea.
What are some other things we could do?
Old 01-20-13, 06:02 PM
2jzcelica
Rookie

i sold my old 2jzgte 5 speed R154 SC for 28k so its all in how long you can wait
Old 01-20-13, 06:07 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol at this thread, just appreciate your car and the price you got it for, unless something miraculously happens the value will remian the same no matter what you do.
Old 01-20-13, 06:09 PM
2jzcelica
Rookie

yeah in not gonna complain about being bale to get a SC for 3k hahaha poor mans supra
Old 01-20-13, 06:23 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Our cars should be going up in value, as the '92 becomes a Classic soon (if it isn't already; what's it 20 years? or 25?).

Anyway, this is the first post pertaining to the actual point of this thread; thanks ek
Heres the sort of thinking Im looking for from everyone; and thats a very clever idea.
I would suggest you waste your time on another endeavor.

Perhaps a job?
Old 01-20-13, 06:25 PM
2jzcelica
Rookie

Name:  tCp90.gif
Views: 8
Size:  567.6 KB
Old 01-20-13, 11:36 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1
I would suggest you waste your time on another endeavor.

Perhaps a job?
??? Who is this guy?
What are you gonna do, follow me thread to thread talkin' s***?
'Cus thats all you've done in every post I've made so far; this topic and others.
Try saying something constructive; at least my posts attempt to bring sumtin' to the community.
You can afford "40 Large" but you really got nothing better to do?
I'd say sumtin' harsh, but I'm REALLY good at that ... Get a life dude.
Old 01-21-13, 12:13 AM
duhafnusa4
Driver

The intrinsic value of our vehicle is based on user appeal. Seeing as how the SC was marketed more as a luxury car than performance, and having a larger production than others (such as the supra), the desirably, and in so its resale price, are of a lesser nature.

To create a vehicle that would sell on an average of 7-10k, many updates need to be completed to compete with the vehicles that are selling for that in a stock, non altered condition. These costs would only give a percentage of their initial cost on resale, making the use of them less of a benefit than an addition to the SC.

We should appreciate that we have access to vehicles that would be outside the price range of many on the forum (I am not talking about high school children with allowances as income) a 45k vehicle that now costs 6k in relatively good condition, and if you can allow 4k in maintenance and repairs, provides a vehicle that is on par with many luxury ones produced today. I find that a bargain I appreciate, and trying to increase the resale value so as to give me more in my pocket, well, I would rather enjoy what I have, and not make a business out of what should be a hobby.
Old 01-21-13, 01:46 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 - 25 years is too soon. Double that, then we're talking. I generally love cars. Very few cars I like are between 1980 - Present, that's if they're tuners, exotics, the usual we all know of. All the muscle cars and antiques are all 1979 and back. Maybe because I am a late-80's kid (born in 87). Of course 40+ year old cars are coveted because no one makes them no more. All you hear is pretty much rebuild/ restoring. Hell, my neighbor had a '70 something Chevelle. I wanted it but I didn't know he was actively selling it. My OTHER neighbor bought it, $2500. He told me he got offers for 5x that of what he paid for, in the condition it is in (rusted, varnished, etc.). However, if I had bought that, I would be Lexusless

The most anyone can do is sit back and wait... 30 years... 40 years.... eventually, our grand childrens, great grand childrens are looking for Geo Metros willing to pay $5000+. In our minds, we'll be like WTF. To them, pretty much how we are now.

If you want a higher resale value...

Originally Posted by 2jzcelica
i sold my old 2jzgte 5 speed R154 SC for 28k so its all in how long you can wait
$28k, wow.

If you can find the right person, they will pay however much their happiness costs. Hell, I've been generous a few times.

The longer you wait, the less number of them will be on the road, the likelier chance of someone dying to have one coming around to pay $$$. Time.

Just imagine. You have the LAST SC300/400 within a 1000 mile radius. 40 people wants it. Some want it to keep stock, some to race, etc. Oh they're going to bid. Highest bidder takes it. But that won't be happening for at least another 50, 60 years, maybe longer.

Just keep buying them and wreck them.

Quick Reply: Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread