SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 01:50 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Why do I care if someone else thinks my car is of a certain value or not?
... Because

How come nobody replaces it with a Toyota badge? That would be more JDM, no?
... Exactly. We all know the deal
Everybody cares, lol.

Besides, (if ever) wait 'til ya wanna sell it ... You'll realize its worth more to you, than what you're getting for it.
It isn't right; 'cus it's true; these cars are outstanding.

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Why assume everyone wants to be a boy racer?
Well, not everybody wants to race, but when you modify your car with aero parts, and go-fast stuff, it's safe to assume you do it "... because race-car."

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-22-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 01:57 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the price of our cars. I've wanted an SC for years now and finally had the chance to. The fact that it was affordable to me was an added bonus. Maybe there will be a day when the value of these cars increases, maybe not, however I don't really much care much if it does or does not. I'm happy to simply own one and to get the chance to learn about it in a hands on way from encountering problems myself. The fact that this car has the ability to perform like a supra if I were to spend the money and the time to make it so is an added plus, especially since it can be done for much cheaper than a supra.
Old 01-19-13, 05:42 PM
leonsup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, our cars hold their value quite well. I checked KBB for cars that were thought to be similar to SC's and found out that our cars are more valuable than all (including BMW 325's & MB SL's) except Supra's & Supra Turbo's.
Old 01-19-13, 05:55 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
... Because

... Exactly. Why all know the deal
Everybody cares, lol.

Besides, (if ever) wait 'til ya wanna sell it ... You'll realize its worth more to you, than what you're getting for it.

Well, not everybody wants to race, but when you modify your car with aero parts, and go-fast stuff, it's safe to assume you do it "... because race-car."
Grow up. This car was intended for folks who could afford 40 large, like me. Don't try to make it something it isn't.
Old 01-19-13, 06:00 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rcchris7
Anything is only worth what somebody it willing to pay for it. Our cars don't have the fast and furious tax. Even though they cost plenty more than a supra in 1993 it is nobodys dream car. How many of us ended up hear because we couldn't afford a supra? But ended up spending 2x as much swapping in a gte. To most the sc300/400 is not a highly sought after car. Therefore ended with a not so sought after resale value.
Oddly enough I picked up my sc because it had been a dream car of mine for some time.
Old 01-19-13, 06:05 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Woah, okay relax; Im more or less playing ... Why say "grow up", I said nothing immature.
Im glad you can afford $40G cars (although I don't see why you had to point that out ???) ... Hey Im a nationally ranked athlete, and I can fly planes also ... ??? So what, this is Club Lexus.
Anyway, Im not making it something it isn't ...
My whole point is that it already "is"; only it's not being recognized for all which it is.
E.g. Jeep Wranglers (I have a Sahara) ... They hardly sell for under $4000 regardless if it's a CJ, YJ, or TJ; and thats 'cus they're basically all the same, and people know what you can do with a Jeep, apart from it being "a car" simply. It's a toy, its a utility, its a small truck, its alot! So you're getting more than just a daily driver, when you buy one.
Well thats what I mean with the SC ... It's no truck/utility, but the car has a history, and offers alot of quality, and capability.
I think the market value fails to reflect that.
Thats all.

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-19-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 06:09 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
Oddly enough I picked up my sc because it had been a dream car of mine for some time.
Agreed
Old 01-19-13, 06:18 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CityKnight
... Because

... Exactly. Why all know the deal
Everybody cares, lol.

I am convinced you are trolling now...you cant really think that a 13+ year old car that is no longer in production is a status symbol even if its a lexus
Old 01-19-13, 06:46 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
I am convinced you are trolling now...you cant really think that a 13+ year old car that is no longer in production is a status symbol even if its a lexus

Nonetheless, you can walk around saying you got a Lexus. A legit Lexus. Who cares if you paid $2, still a Lexus. When an average person hears Lexus, that's all they need.

People take 24" wheels as status symbols... some actually... just wheels... on anything.

I'm happy with my SC regardless. I don't mind it being a million time more coveted, as long as I know I have one. If the SC can become a $30k+ car stock, then I'll be happier since I only paid $4k for an SC that I can sell for more becuase of the parts on it.
Old 01-19-13, 07:20 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheAzn
Nonetheless, you can walk around saying you got a Lexus. A legit Lexus. Who cares if you paid $2, still a Lexus. When an average person hears Lexus, that's all they need.

People take 24" wheels as status symbols... some actually... just wheels... on anything.

I'm happy with my SC regardless. I don't mind it being a million time more coveted, as long as I know I have one. If the SC can become a $30k+ car stock, then I'll be happier since I only paid $4k for an SC that I can sell for more becuase of the parts on it.

i love my SC...my other car is a vintage luxury car as well. I personally never saw them as status symbols. just cool cars with the right creature comforts that I prefer the looks of to many other cars.

I was saying op was trolling due to the wording of his posts. all in all cool thread.
Old 01-19-13, 08:23 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Uh well, i saw soarer's in tokyo drift, and if you look carefully theres one in the first fnf movie during the race wars
Old 01-19-13, 09:20 PM
SCSlug
Driver School Candidate

Look at the fall and demise of the SUV. Perfect example.

1999 Ford Eddie Bauer Edition Expedition
Purchased NEW not used- $40K
Today- Your lucky to get $1500 if you sold.

Nobody wants the 10mpg averages anymore. Same applies for the SC.

If I want 300+hp I can go get a GTI or SRT-8 Neon or GT Bro-stang (Not that I would personally drive any of them) and can probably get a better MPG, HP, and have a better aftermarket for parts. Its just the simpler thing to do. And many people chose that path, making those cars more popular. Just look at some of the NEW cars coming out, 300 HP is almost stock for a V6 Toyota Camry!!!..A *********** CAMRY!!!..lol

Ive always viewed SCs as more of a collectors car and always will. Too heavy to really perform and prices on used parts are insane.Theres no investment here, Just the pleasure of owning one.
Old 01-19-13, 09:23 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSlug
Look at the fall and demise of the SUV. Perfect example.

1999 Ford Eddie Bauer Edition Expedition
Purchased NEW not used- $40K
Today- Your lucky to get $1500 if you sold.

Nobody wants the 10mpg averages anymore. Same applies for the SC.

If I want 300+hp I can go get a GTI or SRT-8 Neon or GT Bro-stang (Not that I would personally drive any of them) and can probably get a better MPG, HP, and have a better aftermarket for parts. Its just the simpler thing to do. And many people chose that path, making those cars more popular. Just look at some of the NEW cars coming out, 300 HP is almost stock for a V6 Toyota Camry!!!..A *********** CAMRY!!!..lol

Ive always viewed SCs as more of a collectors car and always will. Too heavy to really perform and prices on used parts are insane.Theres no investment here, Just the pleasure of owning one.
New Camry V6 Has 268HP,just saying
Old 01-19-13, 10:05 PM
SCSlug
Driver School Candidate

True. Saw it on a commercial, Was so shocked I rounded the number up even more!!. lol. It does say 268 on Toyota's page though.

But hey, When the day comes and my 250hp SC4 gets mugged by a 2012 V6 Camry. I will literally debage my car I will be so ashamed. Lexus bages and all!!
Old 01-20-13, 02:07 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheAzn
Exactly.

I don't see how I was trolling at all.

Anyway, what can we do to increase our cars' overall value, OR it's overall appeal?

Quick Reply: Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread