SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Testing a simple design ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 02:31 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Testing a simple design ...

After some discussion in the Extreme Dimensions thread, I've been toying with some ideas.
This is a simpler one of course, and I had drawn up a few different hoods also, but I wanted to know what ya's think ...
Sorry, I don't have Photoshop; even if, I don't know how to use it, so I went old skool; forgive me.

I based the shape, on the contours of the headlight, so as to stay in sync with the style of the car.
I wanted something that doesn't appear foreign to the car; something that appears as though it belongs, as if Lexus made an SC300-R or something, rather than a clearly aftermarket add-on.

What do ya's think about a single vent upon the fender, in order to reduce under-hood temps?
By "single vent", I mean no-gills; in other words, not the BMW Roadster style; instead just one functional hole, large enough to expel air from beneath the hood ...

Why the fender?

Because when I look at alot of the aftermarket hoods (and I know they aren't wind-tunnel tested), I think (from the looks of 'em) that they look cool, but either they reduce downforce, or create drag. Secondly, when air travels from the front of the car into the grill, it flows backward; so I wanted a streamlined flow; a direct outlet for that air. Being smaller (coming from a mid-sized vent, as opposed to a large one in the hood), produces greater vacuum, because the flow over the vehicle will travel faster than the flow under the hood, thereby reducing pressure (Bernoulli's Principle) on the outside. Since a flow takes the path of least resistance, then the area of lesser pressure is the direction in which the flow under the hood will escape toward; and the faster you travel, the greater the suction ...

After drawing it, the vent reminded me of a Ferrari, but thats not what I was going for.

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-14-13 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 08:51 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You talking about the vent on the fender? Correct me if i'm wrong but you cant reach into the engine bay through the fender. So the vent would be for pure cosmetics. Pressure differentials only work if there is no turbulence from sides and underneath. So to create an efficient you should create a diffuser plate underneath to draw air from bottom to top along with grill vent to create the velocity to push the air out the back. Then again this wold create a minor lifting effect too.

Then again i majored in cell molecular biology not physics or engineering. lol
Old 01-14-13, 08:53 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

but you have some drawing skills my friend...thats pretty clean
Old 01-14-13, 08:58 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Darn nice drawing fender vent or not! If it was made functional, might be a sweet idea with a turbo set-up. No drawing, but I have always wondered what a tastfully executed IS-F style fender vent would look like. I would think to keep the character line just below your vent, but then flare the lower portion of the panel and provide an engine / brake cooling exit at the back edge where it meet the door. Hmmmm??? I'd detail that drawing up, just like your real ride!
Old 01-14-13, 09:05 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Question

Come to think of it... Corvette ZR1's have damn near water tight sealed engine compartments. Like no air flows anywhere into it. All water cooled.

If you have a vent in the fender for engine compartment expelling, you'll have to cut a hole in the compartment itself... some where around the strut mount, according to your drawing.
Old 01-14-13, 09:08 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
You talking about the vent on the fender? Correct me if i'm wrong but you cant reach into the engine bay through the fender. So the vent would be for pure cosmetics. Pressure differentials only work if there is no turbulence from sides and underneath. So to create an efficient you should create a diffuser plate underneath to draw air from bottom to top along with grill vent to create the velocity to push the air out the back. Then again this wold create a minor lifting effect too.

Then again i majored in cell molecular biology not physics or engineering. lol
Originally Posted by TheAzn
If you have a vent in the fender for engine compartment expelling, you'll have to cut a hole in the compartment itself... some where around the strut mount, according to your drawing.
Toobs - Assuming you still have your plastic on the undercarriage (I do), I figured the grills intake may be enough of a catalyst, since theres a suction from the exterior; but Im sure theres an impedance somewhere (like the radiator), so there may be a need to facilitate guidance somehow; I have to actually lift the hood of my car, and look underneath to see whats feasible. I brainstormed this at 4:30am last night, before bed, haha.
Also, Im an aerospace engineering major.

Azn - Yes, I had thought about that much; I didn't wanna have to cut where the wheel protrudes (within the bay), so I placed it behind a little bit. It'll definitely require modding beneath the hood though.

It's just a concept, but this is what I wanted though, some opinions, and good feedback; so thank you both
I don't have high hp, or turbo, and Im but a very basic mechanic (I can change my brakes, and mount an exhaust, etc.) but I wanna contribute to the community as best I can ...

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-14-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 10:48 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it up and upload the images when done to the link we sent you guys before.
Old 01-14-13, 11:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey man, PM me if you want me to do a good Photoshop of your design. I do freelance graphic design and have designed dozens of kits in the past. I'd gladly do it free of charge if it helps the SC community in any way.

Roman
Old 01-14-13, 02:42 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
You talking about the vent on the fender? Correct me if i'm wrong but you cant reach into the engine bay through the fender. lol
Lol exactly

Last edited by Joey-E; 01-16-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 03:25 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Like I said, I came up with this at 4am; I hadn't popped the hood and examined anything yet.
It's just a concept; from there, the idea can evolve how it needs to.
If it ends up being cosmetic only due to whatever difficulty, then so be it; but if it makes for an awesome looking fender, and adds to the cars appeal; then, cool; I did something positive.
Old 01-14-13, 04:20 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It would be pretty cool if you made the hole a bit bigger and routed the downpipe from a single turbo out that hole. Because racecar.
Old 01-14-13, 04:21 PM
UZinator
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like it!

Perhaps with some fancy ducting through the fender and above the plastic wheel housing -you can direct air from somewhere up front and through an oil cooler? I like the idea of functional vent scoops vs. cosmetic ones. I am not so much for the cosmetics as I am for functionality.
Old 01-14-13, 09:07 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by UZinator
Perhaps with some fancy ducting through the fender and above the plastic wheel housing -you can direct air from somewhere up front and through an oil cooler? I like the idea of functional vent scoops vs. cosmetic ones. I am not so much for the cosmetics as I am for functionality.
Agreed 100% (about functionality).
Thats what I began thinking too, ducting could make the difference; I just have to develop a route beneath the hood. It was raining today, so I didn't examine it yet, but I looked at some engine by pics, and I can see what they're talkin' about. Hope isn't lost yet, however; it may not function how I theorized it, but that doesn't mean it can't be functional.
Im gonna take this further; I'll see what I can fathom-up.

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-14-13 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 10:03 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this Origin hood above does a nice job of keeping a factroy look, but adding a vent towards the back that isn't crazy looking.
Old 01-15-13, 07:41 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick Reply: Testing a simple design ...