SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking to buy an sc, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 02:33 AM
Site98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy an sc, need suggestions

Hey guys im new to the forums and just wanted to get some inputs from people who do have sc300/400. I was wondering if i could get some suggestions as to what lip kits to put, what kind of exhaust and of course whats recommended as to performance and what rims would you be best for the sc model
thanks guys
Old 01-09-13, 02:39 AM
bank
Driver

If I were you, I'd look for a 97+ model because they have the updated body kit among other various changes. Aftermarket lip kits/wheels/exhaust depends on what you like so just search around the forums and see what interests you.
Old 01-09-13, 05:15 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up The best answer to those questions is not really an answer ;-)

Originally Posted by Site98
Hey guys im new to the forums and just wanted to get some inputs from people who do have sc300/400. I was wondering if i could get some suggestions as to what lip kits to put, what kind of exhaust and of course whats recommended as to performance and what rims would you be best for the sc model
thanks guys
Welcome Site98,
The best answer to those questions is not really an answer ;-),
I like to look at this site collectively as the MOST BRILLIANT of Dad's who is also a bit cranky if you don't try and use the HOURS of answers they already put into the stickies and tutorials here. Some people have likely put DAYS into concise step-by step "Do it yourself" tutorials and just awesome answers to previous questions and they will "Get real cranky" sometimes if you don't search for them (Mainly because they want you to benefit from them, I know from experience.... and I get it now).
On the other hand, those same people might drive to your town if you are local, and physically help you through if they catch you having trouble while trying.
So, there is a section here about body kits, check it out first. There are countless threads about exhausts (I have a Magnaflow), Rims are subjective so opinions will wildly differ. There are some awesome threads about rims with TONS of great pictures (a few i got text "crowbarred" for starting without searching). There is also a really comprehensive performance section with stickies at the top (the stickies are at the top of every forum LOOK THROUGH THEM ALL, THEY ARE AWESOME.
That will keep you from getting text "crowbarred" and you will learn LIKE CRAZY. I know I am!

ENJOY!
Oh, and if you see how many of us swapped out an earlier body style for a 97+ at considerable cost, you will consider getting the 97+ off the bat.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 01-09-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-09-13, 06:46 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well said... there is so much info out there. A lot of it is very subjective. Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-09-13, 08:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Well said... there is so much info out there. A lot of it is very subjective. Good luck on your decision.
Thanks 1JZPWRD.
Old 01-10-13, 02:15 PM
Site98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Welcome Site98,
The best answer to those questions is not really an answer ;-),
I like to look at this site collectively as the MOST BRILLIANT of Dad's who is also a bit cranky if you don't try and use the HOURS of answers they already put into the stickies and tutorials here. Some people have likely put DAYS into concise step-by step "Do it yourself" tutorials and just awesome answers to previous questions and they will "Get real cranky" sometimes if you don't search for them (Mainly because they want you to benefit from them, I know from experience.... and I get it now).
On the other hand, those same people might drive to your town if you are local, and physically help you through if they catch you having trouble while trying.
So, there is a section here about body kits, check it out first. There are countless threads about exhausts (I have a Magnaflow), Rims are subjective so opinions will wildly differ. There are some awesome threads about rims with TONS of great pictures (a few i got text "crowbarred" for starting without searching). There is also a really comprehensive performance section with stickies at the top (the stickies are at the top of every forum LOOK THROUGH THEM ALL, THEY ARE AWESOME.
That will keep you from getting text "crowbarred" and you will learn LIKE CRAZY. I know I am!

ENJOY!
Oh, and if you see how many of us swapped out an earlier body style for a 97+ at considerable cost, you will consider getting the 97+ off the bat.
Originally Posted by bank
If I were you, I'd look for a 97+ model because they have the updated body kit among other various changes. Aftermarket lip kits/wheels/exhaust depends on what you like so just search around the forums and see what interests you.
thank you guys for your input i really appreciate it and i will search furthur into the stickys and threads. i do plan on getting a 97' sc400 and i really want magnaflow exhaust to me it just sounds heavenly. thank you guys
Old 01-10-13, 06:39 PM
scguy
Driver

Default sc300 purchase

ok hear it is u wnt to knw what to lok 4 when u by a sc???? ill brake it dwn 4 you
u have to ask ur self 1st what r ur goals w car? u gona leave it stock or fix it up? race drift drag what ever, if ur gona fix outside then extewrio dsnt matter, now the MOST important thing is try to get 1 CLEAN TITLE hard to find but worth it if u ever have to sell it, 2nd the interior, black is rare so is gray tan is most common, so take that into consideration if its tan parts r a little esier to find, if black little harder and if its gray there is 2 grays dark gray and light gray and thos r hard hard to find in good shape. NOW when u look at any sc u wnt to look at a few things n the interio 2 kinda give u a sign it was a taken care of, #1 look at digital climate control , does it wrk and is it blacked out or is display wrkng properly. #2 cluster do the needles wrk and light up and back lights all light up, #3 window trim r they broken or unbroken if they r broken impossible to find, # 4 door panels, make sure door panels r n good sahpe no craks or brakes if ther r broken again hard to find and most expnesive part on interior to replace, # 5 rear seat on top where sun hits it, is it ripped there or britlle, if so again hard to find, #5 driver seat 90% of time damaged and have to replace, if in good sahpe again good sign of care if distroyed show of wear and tear seat 2-300$ used and 250-350 to get reupholsterd, so in short make sure intewrior is n good shape or ur n for a lot of $$$ to repair or replace, now on suspension a big problem is bushing on front lower control arms, drive it and hit brakes if u hear clunk on bottom bushings r bad or if u hit gas and same clunk or noise then busging r bad and that 2-400$ on that repair for EACH not tomention labor, on sc400 ONLY trannys very commonly go out so if it delays on shift can ithere b selonoide or trany babd because ither wayt tons of cash to fix, on exterior 92-94 nost comon, 95-96 little more rare and 97-00 r what most sc guys wnt, remeber if its 95-96 u pay a little more and if u buy 07-0 u pay more. if u get lucky and find a 5speed make sure the cluster is black and does not have auto lights then u kinda knw if its og or conveerted u can tell right away buy noise or heat n car if its been done or origianal, also mileage is something to consider, my advise is pay a little more up front for a all around good car instead of bying a cheap 1 and having to dump tons of cash into it just to bring it back to stock in end u spend mnore time and $ then had u just bought 1 already n good shape. the interior is most importnant and kinda determins the over all value of any sc becasue sc w really good interio is hard to find unless ur spend top dollor so hope this help good luck to u and if u go w 97-00 get the 400 not the 300 and if u wnt 300 try to go w 97 5 sped that is rare good luck
Old 01-10-13, 10:38 PM
Bertman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to ClubLexus! The SC400 is a great choice if you ask me. It's a great car with good power out of the box. And +1 on the magnaflow exhaust! Sounds so sick, especially with a Magnaflow X-Pipe! Feel free to search the forums & ask questions you have regarding SC400s. I too vouch for 97+ if body kits are your thing.
Old 01-11-13, 12:16 AM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

What Scguy and Bertman said. Its all about what you want out of the car. Plan on doing the swap then a 300. Good power straight away, 400. Kinda bias, because I have a 97 400. The VVTi version is a little nicer too. Some are not do it yourselfers and perfer to buy already done. Its all up to you and your budget. GL
Old 03-19-13, 10:26 PM
SCluvr
Driver School Candidate

The 97 plus also have the VVTI engines (30 more HP) and the 5 speed automatic transmissions. I have the Magna flows on my 99 SC400 and it sounds heavenly.
Old 03-19-13, 10:43 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scguy
ok hear it is u wnt to knw what to lok 4 when u by a sc???? ill brake it dwn 4 you
u have to ask ur self 1st what r ur goals w car? u gona leave it stock or fix it up? race drift drag what ever, if ur gona fix outside then extewrio dsnt matter, now the MOST important thing is try to get 1 CLEAN TITLE hard to find but worth it if u ever have to sell it, 2nd the interior, black is rare so is gray tan is most common, so take that into consideration if its tan parts r a little esier to find, if black little harder and if its gray there is 2 grays dark gray and light gray and thos r hard hard to find in good shape. NOW when u look at any sc u wnt to look at a few things n the interio 2 kinda give u a sign it was a taken care of, #1 look at digital climate control , does it wrk and is it blacked out or is display wrkng properly. #2 cluster do the needles wrk and light up and back lights all light up, #3 window trim r they broken or unbroken if they r broken impossible to find, # 4 door panels, make sure door panels r n good sahpe no craks or brakes if ther r broken again hard to find and most expnesive part on interior to replace, # 5 rear seat on top where sun hits it, is it ripped there or britlle, if so again hard to find, #5 driver seat 90% of time damaged and have to replace, if in good sahpe again good sign of care if distroyed show of wear and tear seat 2-300$ used and 250-350 to get reupholsterd, so in short make sure intewrior is n good shape or ur n for a lot of $$$ to repair or replace, now on suspension a big problem is bushing on front lower control arms, drive it and hit brakes if u hear clunk on bottom bushings r bad or if u hit gas and same clunk or noise then busging r bad and that 2-400$ on that repair for EACH not tomention labor, on sc400 ONLY trannys very commonly go out so if it delays on shift can ithere b selonoide or trany babd because ither wayt tons of cash to fix, on exterior 92-94 nost comon, 95-96 little more rare and 97-00 r what most sc guys wnt, remeber if its 95-96 u pay a little more and if u buy 07-0 u pay more. if u get lucky and find a 5speed make sure the cluster is black and does not have auto lights then u kinda knw if its og or conveerted u can tell right away buy noise or heat n car if its been done or origianal, also mileage is something to consider, my advise is pay a little more up front for a all around good car instead of bying a cheap 1 and having to dump tons of cash into it just to bring it back to stock in end u spend mnore time and $ then had u just bought 1 already n good shape. the interior is most importnant and kinda determins the over all value of any sc becasue sc w really good interio is hard to find unless ur spend top dollor so hope this help good luck to u and if u go w 97-00 get the 400 not the 300 and if u wnt 300 try to go w 97 5 sped that is rare good luck
My eyes...
Old 03-19-13, 10:57 PM
SC300NW
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
My eyes...
Haha! I kind of thought the same thing, but he had some good useful info in there.
Old 03-19-13, 10:58 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

lol ^^
Old 03-20-13, 07:31 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
My eyes...
That may have been all thumbs. It's a new day.
Old 03-20-13, 08:06 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

98+ SC300/SC400 (98+ SC400 is the ideal SC because its 5 speed automatic with a VVT-i V8 engine)

You could try to be different with all sorts of wheels, but since stance is what's in you would probably want some SSR, Work, WEDS, Leon Hardiritt, BBS, Rays, etc.

For lip kits I think you should only get lip kits if you have an OEM 97+ kit, IMO if you're getting a lip kit for a 92-96 SC you might as well get a 97+ body kit.

There are several exhaust setups people run, but my favorite exhausts are mine (5zigen Fireball Mega, axelbacks).

You should just go with what you like, whether it's original or not

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an sc, need suggestions