SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 06:53 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

yes its from an rx300, its a 2001 I belive, its the only year that is a single stage if im not mistaken, and you can easily tell if a bag is single stage or 2 stage by simply looking at the back of the airbag, 1 clip= single stage, 2 clips = stage 2
Old 01-22-13, 09:29 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1Willy1, that's a clean looking wheel...lol, but seriously can't wait to see the pics of it installed!

steve
Old 01-22-13, 11:52 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

installed Im very happy about this mod
Attached Thumbnails Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-flaps-007.jpg   Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-flaps-008.jpg   Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-flaps-005.jpg  
Old 01-22-13, 12:54 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
ok I got it swapped in and just so you guys know, you dont have to swap out your cruise control lever, there is just part of the wiring that needs to be adjusted or changed, my mechanic did this swap in like 15 minutes .

thanks for all the help and advice
Would be way more helpful if you told us what wiring needs changed...

Looks really good though.
Old 01-22-13, 01:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Would be way more helpful if you told us what wiring needs changed...

Looks really good though.
yes sorry man I wish I could, My mechanic did everything and i was not there to watch him, its apparently very simple that any qualified mechanic will be able to figure out without actually swapping out the entire cruise control unit.

So basically all that needs to be done to do this swap is you swap the air bag connecter , and ill ask my mechanic a little more info on the wiring and get back to you guys.
Old 01-22-13, 02:00 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-airbags.html
Old 01-22-13, 02:05 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great *****, it really transforms the cabin.
Old 07-13-13, 02:40 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just completed this mod and figured I'd just add to this thread rather than creating a whole new one.

To clear any confusion, as long as you have the '01 RX300 steering wheel and airbag you do NOT need to do any splicing, you do NOT need any adaptor, and you do NOT need to do anythign with the clock spring. It really is plug & play.

Simply (1) remove the old steering wheel (as per DIY's), (2) swap over the cruise control unit (as outlined in below pic borowed from another thread), and (3) install new steering wheel. Its as simple as that guys. Hardest part was getting the damn wheel off - it really did take a lot of force, but a few good smacks and pulls got it off.

I'm really happy with the mod, it updates the interior a tremendous amount

EDIT: I should edit this by saying that the '01 RX wheel was plug & play into my '99 SC. There have been some issues with the RX wheels having different connectors that older model SC's. Seems as though Lexus changed the connector type in SC's at some point, not sure what years though, although it would make sense that it was changed in '99 since thats when the wheel/airbag changed from 4-spoke to 3-spoke.
Attached Thumbnails Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-gswheel-bag-diag.jpg   Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by scENFORCER; 06-01-14 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-13-13, 04:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks tabaka I agree man ,,it really updates the interior a lot.

Sc enforcer this is not to debate or anything or create confusion, but on my swap we didn't even swap over the cruise control module, we used the new one from the rx and it works perfectly fine.

From what my mechanic told me you don't need to swap anything except the airbag connector clip as you stated above, everything else is completely compatible.

but anyways looks really good man, that wheel is mint, nice job.
Old 07-13-13, 04:48 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks tabaka I agree man ,,it really updates the interior a lot.

Sc enforcer this is not to debate or anything or create confusion, but on my swap we didn't even swap over the cruise control module, we used the new one from the rx and it works perfectly fine.

From what my mechanic told me you don't need to swap anything except the airbag connector clip as you stated above, everything else is completely compatible.

but anyways looks really good man, that wheel is mint, nice job.
If that works as well then I guess that makes it easier

The reason I swapped the cruise control module over is because the SC one had a 6 plug connector with 5 pins in the sockets, while the RX one had the same 6 plug connector but had 6 pins in the sockets. Not sure what they all do but I figured I'd be safe.
Old 07-13-13, 06:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER

The reason I swapped the cruise control module over is because the SC one had a 6 plug connector with 5 pins in the sockets, while the RX one had the same 6 plug connector but had 6 pins in the sockets. Not sure what they all do but I figured I'd be safe.
cool man, yes I don't blame you , everyone here recommends to swap it , I specifically told my mechanic to swap it as well , but when I went to pick it up he told me he didn't and that it wasn't necessary, then I drove it and cruise works fine so im not sure what to make of it.

Maybe some others can chime in on it as well
Old 05-31-14, 06:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER

cool man, yes I don't blame you , everyone here recommends to swap it , I specifically told my mechanic to swap it as well , but when I went to pick it up he told me he didn't and that it wasn't necessary, then I drove it and cruise works fine so im not sure what to make of it.

Maybe some others can chime in on it as well
If the RX has 6 pins and the SC has 5 pins in the identical 6-pin connector, and either one works interchangeably on the SC, then it stands to reason that the RX cruise control just adds one pin for something that we don't need to worry about. I haven't driven mine yet to put that theory to the test...

I am a bit dubious about this, however: "To clear any confusion, as long as you have the '01 RX300 steering wheel and airbag you do NOT need to do any splicing, you do NOT need any adaptor, and you do NOT need to do anythign with the clock spring. It really is plug & play."

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...g-adapter.html

It seems to me there are some airbag connector differences. My new wheel is from a '00 RX300. If the '01 RX300 used the same connector as the SC, you would think one from a year earlier would, too.
Old 06-01-14, 01:16 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

So, the RX cruise control lever didn't work on my SC... And I think I see why. From the portion I quoted previously, I was thinking the RX wheel has the 6th wire and therefore some extra, unneeded signal. But looking at the picture I took of the RX wheel this afternoon and comparing it to the SC wheel in my lap, it's the other way around! The SC wheel has the 6th wire on the plug.

SC: black, green, white/black, red, white, black
RX: black, green, empty, red, white, blue

So, the RX cruise control lever isn't sending something the SC cruise control expects. I'm guessing something like a single on/off signal instead of distinct ones. That's the case on my '94 ... your mileage may vary.

In both cases, the black/green wires on the left side of the plug connect to the little white plug on the left side of the steering wheel, behind the access panel. Does anyone know what that's for?
Old 07-06-16, 12:37 AM
SenecaRex
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

installed Im very happy about this mod
Is the steering wheel pic in the center really tan? Looks gray.
Old 07-06-16, 07:49 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fbravo59
Is the steering wheel pic in the center really tan? Looks gray.
More like beige, same as the non-tan color in the SC tan interior.

Quick Reply: Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please