SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cabin Noise???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-02, 10:38 PM
007lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Noise???

I was driving while talking on my cell phone and I noticed that I couldn't hear the other person on the phone because of my car noise inside.

Not sure why I hear much of the road noise(tires are new!!)

I'm thinking of changing front wheel bearings next brake/rotor chg, but this not justify the inside LOUD cabin noise.

this is my setup:
air in-take, stock exhaust.

peace,
Old 12-09-02, 02:03 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New tires don't mean quiet tires. Some tires are naturally loud. Can you isolate the noise? Usually it's pretty easy to tell wind from tires, etc. The loudest thing in my car is the motor when I punch the throttle.
Old 12-09-02, 02:31 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

It could be from the moonroof, make sure you put it all the way close.
Old 12-10-02, 08:56 PM
007lexus
Driver

yes i checked the sunroof and its completely closed.
Old 12-10-02, 09:47 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Did you notice the change after you put the new tires on? If so, you might just have bought a "louder" kind of tire...which doesn't mean its a bad tire or anything, just loud, so if its a big inconveinence just try a different brand next time. Just out of curiosity, is it a constant noise or does it change as you increase speed/slow down/etc.?

Last edited by undefeatedsc3; 12-10-02 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 10:34 PM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by undefeatedsc3
Did you notice the change after you put the new tires on? If so, you might just have bought a "louder" kind of tire...which doesn't mean its a bad tire or anything, just loud, so if its a big inconveinence just try a different brand next time. Just out of curiosity, is it a constant noise or does it change as you increase speed/slow down/etc.?

the sound becomes loud after i reach speeds of 50mph.
Old 12-10-02, 11:20 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

sounds like tires. If it was the door seals, you would hear whistling sounds. If the moon roof was open, it would whistle too. Lexus puts LOTS and LOTS of sound deadener on the cars. Should not be loud at all. Mine sounds like a tomb.
Old 12-10-02, 11:23 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Originally posted by 007lexus

the sound becomes loud after i reach speeds of 50mph.
That sounds a LOT to me like the noise is resulting from your tires....the tread is just on the harder side as compared to other types of tread that are softer and quieter. Generally the sound would get louder as your speed increases. Its hard to describe, but if its from the tires, the sound will be like that of a an electric generator, that higer-pitched sort of noise, maybe louder. If it still continues to bug you though, you might want to take it to the dealer and JUST ASK them what they think about the problem. With a question in this area though, they will tend to come up with all sorts of "repairs" your car would need so be careful and always ask for a second opinion if its major. Hope Ive been able to help at all.

-Buck
Old 12-10-02, 11:30 PM
MDM27613
Driver School Candidate

Guess noise could be a lot of things, but on mine it was the tires, it would growl at stops and howl on the freeway. Changed tires and still handles aggressively but rides sweet and quiet. I have Firehawk SZ50 EP 245/50ZR16 SL on a 93 SC400, luv em. Here is how I picked the tire;
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SZ50+EP#Survey

Might be interesting to compare that to the equivalent page for your current tires.
Old 12-11-02, 02:01 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb If you can't eliminate the noise source, you can muffle it....

Following instructions posted in other threads, the SC's rear seats are easily removed, exposing large metal panels that can benefit from a layer or two of sound-deadening, such as RAAMMat. You can also stuff a few sound-absorbing foam pads in the pockets just behind the rear passenger's heels. What you see below only took a few hours, and made a difference to my ears, though it is hard to quantify just how much it helped.
Attached Thumbnails Cabin Noise???-raam1.jpg  

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-11-02 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-11-02, 02:40 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Looks like a big job to remove the back seat lol.
Old 12-11-02, 03:02 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's why you're a driver's school candidate, and I'm on the Lead Lap.
Old 12-11-02, 04:51 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

if removing the back seat on the sc is same as on the first gen gs it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. there is only 3-4 screws you have to remove. rest is all pulling up
Old 12-11-02, 11:01 AM
Lvangundy

Rear seats are easy to remove, but make sure you do it slowly and carefully.

Taking out the screws with pressure on them from the seat clips (like pulling vertically on the bolt) can strip the bolt and the socket.

I learned this the hard way, when I went to screw the seats back in the bolt/hole were stripped! I had to use a (american?) not-metric punch tool and make new holes. That really sucked.
Old 12-11-02, 09:51 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Originally posted by SC4Hundred
Looks like a big job to remove the back seat lol.
Its really not hard at all. You would probably be able to do it in about twenty minutes...someone whos done it before might be able to get it done in five. All you need to do is pull up on the bottom cushion (as it is just held in by clips). Literally, no bolts. Then, after you get the bottom seats out there will be three bolts holding the upper part of the seat in place. Simply remove these bolts, pull the seat straight up (as there are two more clips holding it in place on top) and viola, youre done. Good luck. PM me if you need any help.

-Buck

Quick Reply: Cabin Noise???