SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help w/ sc400 lip install on 96 sc

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 05:16 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help w/ sc400 lip install on 96 sc

Hey guys I just picked up a sc400 lip at a near by pick n pull and when I got it home I saw that there was no pre-drilled holes in my front bumper like there were on the sc400 that I pulled it off of.
I know in some threads they said it should bolt right on but I'm guessing not?
Or is my bumper possibly aftermarket? Drilling holes doesn't bother me or anything I was just kind of curious if anybody knew for certain.

Here's a pic of where the holes should be, but arent...

This is a pic of the lip + a few little other things. (As you can see the lip needs a little TLC lol)

Lastly, I know this is a lexus forum but does anybody know anything about these BBS center caps by chance?

They said W. Germany (assuming made there?) on the inside so I picked 'em cuz they were only $3 each haha.

All help is appreciated!
Old 12-17-12, 06:26 PM
RoyallyGrn
Driver School Candidate

The 96 bumpers do not have the holes drilled because I believe that neither the 300 or 400 had lips after 94. It very easy to install. You will have to drill holes. You can do 2,4,or 6. You dont really have to if you dont want to just get really good 3M double sided tape. Like the toughest you can buy. I took pictues of my install on my 96 front bumper. My good friend helped me out and everything went nice.
It should have these on the under side. Everything should bolt right up to that.

I drilled 4 holes. had to do one again but it wont matter the lip will cover it. Just put the lip up to the bumper and line it up where you want it the make so marks of where to drill and go from there. Easy.
If you have all the hard wear like the metal it goes behind the bumper cover and you bolt up to that. My lip had all the bolts rusted and seized and broke two of them hence why I only drilled 4 holes.

I also used 3M tape so there was no way this thing was getting ripped off. Just get the good stuff. If you do use 3M make sure and scuff the bumper with some scotch bright. It will give you maximum adhesion without sanding and what not. And clean it with some alcohol or something.

The critical part is lining it up before you take the tape off. Once its on there it aint coming off.

Done.

Old 12-17-12, 06:44 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

WOW very nice write-up!
Gonna get started on this right away.

Thank you very much for the quick answer and comprehensive write-up.
Old 12-17-12, 06:51 PM
RoyallyGrn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31
WOW very nice write-up!
Gonna get started on this right away.

Thank you very much for the quick answer and comprehensive write-up.
No problem man. Ive been sitting on these for quite some time. I just had to take the lip off to paint my bumper. Ill make a good write up when i put it back on. Good luck with it. Mine was a pain with the bolts so we just used a mess of bolts that were laying around and fit each other. Then had to trim the trim so the bolts would fit. It was a nightmare but held it on good. Hopefully yours will be a lot easier.
Old 12-17-12, 06:56 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Yep this is a great write up...MODs should make this a sticky in the D.I.Y. section. I need to book mark this for later, or whenever I get my lip? lol

thx

steve