SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 05:38 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'

Greetings,
As many of you know, i found an ULTRA clean (100K and 15 years of Lexus service records) platinum metallic 95' with a perfect black interior. It also has an over the top body kit and grotesque chrome wheels.
It also came with all of the original parts and bumper and 3 sets of wheels/tires including a set of sc430 18's with Blizzaks.

After combining my own first impressions with the general consensus here, I am going to sell these chrome 17's., temporarily use the sc430 18 inch.rims it came with. Put the 95 body parts back on and BUY SOME WHEELS.

We have already gone over the ugly kit and wheels extensively in another thread. In this thread I would like some guidance from the STYLE freaks here as you guys have some beautiful cars.

--------------------------------------------------

What I need to know is: What is the biggest, fattest and furthest out I can take my wheels without giving up ride, performance and the ability to navigate the AWFUL NYC streets daily. (I studied the sticky, still need your opinions for looks vs performance)

What style / color wheels look best on a Platinum Metallic cars?

Is a black wheel with a silver rim OK for this car?

Are the rims with a bit of accenting the body paint color tacky?

------------------------------------------------

(i am drawn to simple, sparse 5 star types wheels (with beefy brakes visible) but I am open)

Do you guys have any reasonably priced suggestions?

For all who did not see the other thread, here are pictures.

I ALREADY KNOW THE KIT LIGHTS AND WHEELS ARE UGLY. I AM PUTTING THE STOCK PARTS ON AS SOON AS I VERIFY THAT I HAVE EVERYTHING.
Attached Thumbnails What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-image.jpg   What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-image4.jpg   What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-image1.jpg  
Old 12-12-12, 05:54 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

"I ALREADY KNOW THE KIT LIGHTS AND WHEELS ARE UGLY." <---- funny

Why do they have to have so much flare out on these kits? Its so hard to find a modest complement to the cars natural lines with out plastic protruding out the sides of the car. i actually like the upper part of the bumper.The part between the lights resembles the IS. The lines work well IMO. Updates the body without over doing it. Why couldn't they follow that as they dropped down. Oh well. The color is nice and your seats have held up better then the SCs i've looked at..
Old 12-12-12, 06:25 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks L8Apex,
Aside from the looks, parking a fiberglass nose in NYC is a time bomb. It will be no time before someone backs into it with an SUV and cracks it. I cant wait to see rubber up there. The side skirts ends actually annoy me the most visually. They kill the side view for me.
Old 12-12-12, 07:15 AM
sr71b
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so after you change the head lights, fog lights, and tail lights as well, i would suggest a polished wheel. I remember when lance had the polished varrstoen 2.2's on his platinum sc. I despise black wheels with a polished lip (which is what i think you were trying to say). A dark bronze wheel wouldn't look bad either, VMR has this coating called sunken treasure, which is really good.
Old 12-12-12, 08:09 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

IS300 Wheels would look nice. IS350 also.
Old 12-12-12, 08:40 AM
BSanders22
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all comes down to what YOU want and like, it is, after all, your car. Silver is an easy color to work with, seeing that you can pull off a lot of finishes from silver, polished, black, or even white. Next is your preferred style and budget. There are a lof of factory wheels that fit this platform, IS, GS, newer SCs, and many non-Lexus OEM wheels like Infiniti G35/37 wheels are popular and less expensive than some aftermarket. And seeing that you're in NY, size and tire profile are important, so a nice 18" with bigger tires might be better for the roads and weather. Get what you want, because at the end of the day, all that matters is that the car puts a smile on your face.
Old 12-12-12, 09:43 AM
ND92Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Whoa! Those wheels and tails are pretty poopy....have u looked into XXR wheels?
Old 12-12-12, 10:11 AM
pass1914
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default something with a nice lip

I suggest a nice deep dish polished or tastfully done chrome with a nice lip, here is mine
Attached Thumbnails What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-imag0002.jpg   What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-imag0068.jpg  
Old 12-12-12, 04:08 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

TT polished wheels if you can find some?
Old 12-12-12, 05:23 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

You can buy some polished supra TT wheels or send them to get chromed. I like the lexus wheels in the link below. For a comfortable ride you would need a good amount of sidewall on the tires and this limits you on rim size. I recommend you do lots of research so that you get it right the first time. Good luck

http://lexusgallery.blogspot.com/200...oy-wheels.html
Old 12-12-12, 05:41 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely go for some nice high end wheels, those will catch the eye more than anything else

Can't go wrong with some Work wheels or maybe nice track wheels. There are tons of nice VIP wheels, but the deep dish faced ones like Euroline DH's don't go very well with the SC IMO.
Old 12-12-12, 07:49 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

my summer set are XXR 521's in hyper silver. I love em. They look good and they're cheap enough that you don't have to baby the car everywhere because you can always afford to replace a rim.
What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-cl1.jpg

For my winter set I bought some OEM SC400 rims and painted them gunmetal.
What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-winter2.jpg
Old 12-12-12, 07:56 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^those do look good bro, I had forgot about the XXR series! lol
Old 12-12-12, 08:24 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
^^^those do look good bro, I had forgot about the XXR series! lol
Thank You. Glad You like 'em
Old 12-12-12, 09:36 PM
Kpierce007
Pole Position

I think these would look good
http://www.buyrimsandtires.com/store...wheels-p-17188
Attached Thumbnails What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'-mht_vendetta_sf_2_w.jpg  

Quick Reply: What reasonable wheels would look (and ride) best on this clean Platinum Metallic 95'