SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New To SC, just purchased SC300 5-Speed. Did i do OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 02:58 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation New To SC, just purchased SC300 5-Speed. Did i do OK?

Thanks to your help, I did not buy this car! Thank You! See below for what I got!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,
I have been lurking to see if the SC is the car for me. It is, I just purchased one and I'd like any advise you experts have for me on getting it in the best shape reasonable for what it is.

This is the auction copy. (I did not post the link because I saw a rule here stating that i should not)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For sale 1992 Lexus SC300. This car has 171,801 miles on it and is in good mechanical and cosmetic condition. It starts, runs and drives great. The car has fresh paint, new brake pads, new clutch fan, and some upgrades including:

Enkei A&L Racing 387 18x7.5 wheels - 19.5 lbs per wheel!
BFI intake mod with heat shields
Projector / halo headlights
JVC double DIN head unit
Welded diff

Now for the bad. I'll try to be as honest as possible so there are not surprises during the sale. The interior could definitely use a good cleaning, and the top trim pieces on both doors are cracked. There is also a crack in the sunroof. There is some curb rash on the wheels. There is also a TINY paint bubble on the passenger side quarter panel right above the wheel. There are some very, very minor blemishes on body. Nothing major, but if you're expecting a brand new 1992 Lexus body, you'll find some imperfections.

Other than the listed things, this is a great example of a rare first year manual SC300. The car has no rust issues, and as I've already stated, runs and drives just as it should. The tires are decent, the front has about 80% tread and the rear has a little over half.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out (here) what the welded diff is for. I hope it was not a mistake. Owner says he just welded it recently, I'll have to hope it was not beaten too badly. Should I worry about the gearbox etc?
What do you think? Can i post the link to the add since it is already sold?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-05-12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 04:24 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

For starters, I would post up some quality pictures. Once we see the pictures, we can give a more precise good or bad deal on what you are asking. The bottom line is what makes you happy. Our opinion really doesn't matter but if you ask, you will receive it! LOL

Welcome to the SC community. On what you have described so far, I don't think you did half bad.
Old 12-03-12, 06:09 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds pretty good, just depends on how much you spent on it. I'm hoping you didn't pay more than 4k for it. Nowadays its extremely difficult to find a clean SC for a reasonable price for a car. I honestly think any SC will do because I think all SC's have the same potential, it just depends on the condition and if you're willing to fix every last thing on it.
Old 12-03-12, 06:30 PM
JS93SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club! Overall it sounds like a good purchase! but as ASTERiSK said over hopefully nothing over 4K! Also, as far as the welded diff goes hopefully it was not welded for drifting purposes. Do you have any plans for the car as far as performance upgrades go?
Old 12-03-12, 06:48 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
For starters, I would post up some quality pictures. Once we see the pictures, we can give a more precise good or bad deal on what you are asking. The bottom line is what makes you happy. Our opinion really doesn't matter but if you ask, you will receive it! LOL

Welcome to the SC community. On what you have described so far, I don't think you did half bad.
I agree with what ^^^^he said! In addition, you could also check out the classified threads to see if there's some parts you can pick up. Also, check out the STICKY, chances are if you're thinking it, it's probably already been done? Use the search function too-GL, and we can't stress this enough...post up some pics!

PICS are it didn't happen! lol, j/k...seriously post some pics.

steve
Old 12-03-12, 08:08 PM
FastCarsBG
Rookie

sounds like a nice starter piece to me! Any performance mods done to the car? What are you planning for it? I just got my first one over this past weekend! I am going all the way with mine!
Old 12-03-12, 08:40 PM
Akito san
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep us posted i want to see it =D congrats and welcome!
Old 12-03-12, 10:58 PM
Integra2SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, however i'm not a fan of the welded diff, I personally think it makes it to hard to steer correctly, but just as it was said before, if it makes you happy, who cares! Just think, SOMEBODY paid almost $50k for that car.... even though it wasn't you, it should still make you feel a little sophisticated...
Old 12-04-12, 12:06 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase!

Pictures would be very helpful but based on what you stated it sounds like its probably a decent buy with the usual common issues.

If you don't have records stating the current maintenance services that were performed you should assume that whatever isn't listed or available in the Lexus.com VIN lookup system should be done. Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, O2 sensors, fluid flushes, etc. But that goes for any car.

All of the engine and transmission service parts cross reference to the Supra MKIV non turbo. Don't pay Lexus prices for driveline parts. Sourcing the cosmetic parts to restore the interior can be a challenge but the parts are around used (and some still in the Toyota/Lexus parts system). All SC door upper trim cracks eventually, as do the A/C vents.

Steering rack bushings, front LCA's, W58 shifter bushings, W58 trans mount and the power steering high and low pressure hoses tend to be common fix-it areas.

I don't know what your future plans are for the car but at least initially you may like to do the following to get the car into a sportier mode:

-Suspension -- take your pick
-Rear sway bar and/or Supra sway bar with Supra subframe mounts
-Supra TT front brake swap or the cheaper LS400 front brake swap (I consider this to be mandatory honestly. Stock SC300 front brakes are not suitable for high performance driving).
-Change your welded rear diff for a factory 4.083 manual or 4.272 auto rear end unless you really want a rough/cheap drift rear end. You'll want a Torsen or clutch LSD but it's pricey either way and your future plans with engine power will have some bearing on what gear ratio you'll want to use when installing one.
-A simple bolt on catback won't affect your power much but will give your car some character if stock is too quiet for you.
-Lastly, seats. If you want some side bolstering for aggressive driving you might consider Supra TT seats or something else. Personal preference varies on this.

Beyond that you can consider what you want to do power wise and there are many, many threads on that broad subject.

Most of all, have fun with it! You have to expect some reconditioning will be necessary. It really all depends on what you want to do with the car and how much or how little you'll need to restore and change it to satisfy you.
Old 12-04-12, 01:59 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a great deal depending on the price
Old 12-04-12, 04:55 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking You Guys Are Awesome!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and great advise!

I got nervous about the welded diff / drift connection and asked to be let out of the auction. It was on CL for 5200$ and I got it on auction for 3800$. It was a bit of a project tho.

BETTER NEWS! I am currently on my way to Boston to pick up the cleanest 1995 SC400 I have ever seen. It has 100k on it, it was babied (this guy drives sooooooo carefully) and FULLY hooked up with a beautiful body kit, led lighting, DVD/ rear camera., built in radar, a crazy Magnaflow system, 3 sets of great wheels and all the original body parts (garaged entire life) etc.
The upgrades are so well done they feel like the car came that way instead of loose afterthoughts.
I am amazingly happy and will post pictures after I get it home and safe.
Even the seats look brand new. The sellers father is a Lexus mechanic at a dealership. It is like stepping into a time machine.
A leaving the country special for 5,800$ with 12 wheels. 4 stock with low pro. 4 REALLY NICE chrome w pricey low pros. 4 x430 nice rims with Blizzack snows.

This crew of enthusiasts inspired me to find something I'd be proud of for years.
I'm psyched as hell for an old man!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-05-12 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-04-12, 04:47 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn... Cant wait to see pics
Kudos!
Old 12-04-12, 05:05 PM
kc13015
Driver School Candidate

Is that the silver one on boston craigslist ?
Old 12-04-12, 05:10 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Damn... Cant wait to see pics
Kudos!
Same. In the for the pics!
Old 12-04-12, 05:54 PM
stonorober
Driver School Candidate

For starters, I would post up some quality pictures.

Quick Reply: New To SC, just purchased SC300 5-Speed. Did i do OK?