SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 04:39 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kno my three piece are threaded all the way through all the pieces.
Old 04-26-13, 10:55 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

ok guys, this is why I hate working on cars because things NEVER ****ing work out

The boltz have been hammered in, now I went to fit the face into thje lip and it can only go in like 5/8 of the way down , the lip is egraved with a 20 inch and the holes line up so the size lookz to be right ,,,,,,,,i dont ****ing get it

called MC3 Wheels hes lookin into it

(edit) some excuse about the new lips not tapered as much as the old ones, he told me to ship the wheels to him so he can do some machining,,,,,,,unreal,,,looking into other options

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 04-26-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 11:21 AM
92SoCal
Driver School Candidate

well when you do things that are not normal or when you try to go big! lol you shuold always expect set backs but keep at it.. being unique is always harder

I REALLY WANNA SEE THESE ON THE SC THOUGH
Old 04-26-13, 12:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Will, the bolt holes will always line up, that's an industry standard. What differs sometimes is the bore and fitting the faces are really tight, with really tight tolerances. Clean up the silicon on the face and inner barrel if you havent done so already. Scrape or scrub off all silicon you see in the holes of the face and barrel.

I've heard of faces not fitting the lip if it is chromed, that's cause they get chrome on the part of the lip that meets the face. If you havent done so already, mock everything up. Since you have the original inner barrel, make sure the inner diameter of the inner barrel and the inner diameter of the new lip are equivalent. And, now try placing the face using 3 to 4 bolts. Tap it in using a rubber mallet
Old 04-26-13, 01:31 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
Will, the bolt holes will always line up, that's an industry standard. What differs sometimes is the bore and fitting the faces are really tight, with really tight tolerances. Clean up the silicon on the face and inner barrel if you havent done so already. Scrape or scrub off all silicon you see in the holes of the face and barrel.

I've heard of faces not fitting the lip if it is chromed, that's cause they get chrome on the part of the lip that meets the face. If you havent done so already, mock everything up. Since you have the original inner barrel, make sure the inner diameter of the inner barrel and the inner diameter of the new lip are equivalent. And, now try placing the face using 3 to 4 bolts. Tap it in using a rubber mallet
Jadu thanks youve been a big help

I completely refinished the faces so there is no silicone or even a speck of dirt anywhere,, the lip lines up perfectly with the holes on the face and barrel, the inner diameter of lip and barrel look to be a perfect match as well

what it comes down to is the face gets very stuck at about 1.5 inches from where it should fit,,,its so tight I dont think a hydraulic press could force it in, well it could but it would mess up the chrome and probably damage something.

MC3 wheels told me all the lip manufacterers are using the same specs so a replacement would not help

my only options now are to send my wheels to MC3,, or go back to my old lips, or shave 1.5- 2mm''s off the outer diameter of the face.

im going to cee a machine shop monday morning to cee if they can take care of it.

Old 04-26-13, 03:40 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

No problem man, hope you get it resolved at the machine shop. I also had a problem with some real tight fighting faces and would up sanding down the clear and powdcoat in back of the face, where it meets the lip and barrel. Just that little layer (<1mm) was enough for it not to fit. Maybe there's some clear or powder coat you can sand off-I'm running outta ideas

I personally have a set of new chrome lips coming in soon where the inner bore was enlarged to fit my faces and then chromed, so I may be on the same boat =/

Last edited by jadu; 04-26-13 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 06:42 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well thats a bummer, if you were local i would say throw them in you car and bring them by. My lathe would fix the centers right up.
Old 04-26-13, 06:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Well thats a bummer, if you were local i would say throw them in you car and bring them by. My lathe would fix the centers right up.
yea too bad scott thanks anyways though man

im am just hoping that shaving 2mm's wont affect the wheels integrity

I really hate having to do this but I guess I got no choice
Old 04-26-13, 11:05 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt a 2mm will make any difference considering its almost a full face rim so the weight is distributed pretty evenly. The weight of the car ( about 900lbs per wheel) is distributed along the contact point of the face and the bolt depending on the fit of the bolt. You should be good to go.
Old 04-27-13, 07:07 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

More pics.. !!!
Lol.. The story is finally getting good...
More action, less words
Old 05-08-13, 10:58 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Ok great news, brough them to this amazing machine shop that specializes in making helicopter parts and that did a fantastic job, even let me watch them work.

There is a slight bend built into the lips that would not let the face fall into place,they machined 0.4 mm off the diameter and they drop in now very tight and snug.

IM very happy to have these done heres a few pics

also Im going back there to talk about having some custom badges made for my car ...really happy about that as well

also after seeing the wheel beside the 10.5 with the 245/35 its pretty clear to me it is not gonna fit, the stretch would be too much.
Attached Thumbnails Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)-a-new-weely.png   Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)-a-new-weelyy.png   Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)-a-new-weelyyy.png   Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)-a-new-weelyyyyy.png  
Old 05-08-13, 11:11 AM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Dam those are gonna look sexy as fawk!!!
Old 05-08-13, 12:25 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't WAIT!
Old 05-08-13, 04:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Alot more work then i first imagined, but well worth it , finally got one of them siliconed and torqued to specs.

Second one will go alot easier now.

Few nuts have been stripped so im off to the hardware store, also the second face doesnt fit in the second lip so back to the machine shop tomorow, few more pics, i am VERY happy i took the time to do this, gonna test fit on my car tomorow to see how much fender work is needed.
Attached Thumbnails Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)-a-beaut.png   Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)-a-beauttttt.png   Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)-a-beauty.png  
Old 05-08-13, 06:17 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Amazing! Fawking sexy man dang

Quick Reply: Just got these in the mail:) 13 inch wide wheels, need advice, thanks:)