SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Am I asking too much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 03:29 PM
NKYSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I asking too much?

Trying to sell my 95 SC300 5 speed black leather interior. Have gotten some interests but not nearly as much as I did on my previous SC I sold am I asking too much? Or should i just wait?

Last edited by Kira X; 09-13-12 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Craigslist links are not allowed
Old 09-13-12, 04:07 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Well you didn't mention mileage or anything you've done to the car beyond stock but sight unseen it looks in good condition and the black interior is rare. As long as there aren't any mechanical or cosmetic gremlins you aren't mentioning I don't think $6,500 is too much to ask. Were I to sell my 5-speed I'd be asking a bit more, but it isn't stock.

Ragged examples go for less than your price. Be willing to negotiate some but you're close. The way I look at it, this is the cost of a general SC300 in *good* condition with the added cost of an entire W58 5-speed swap added on including the cluster, correct speedo and 4.083 rear end, not to mention labor and the fact that it was a manual from the factory.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-17-12 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 04:35 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think your price is alright. 5-speed SC's are difficult to find in decent shape.
Old 09-13-12, 05:07 PM
NKYSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
TWell you didn't mention mileage or anything you've done to the car beyond stock but sight unseen it looks in good condition and the black interior is rare. As long as there aren't any mechanical or cosmetic gremlins you aren't mentioning I don't think $6,500 is too much to ask. Were I to sell my 5-speed I'd be asking a bit more, but it isn't stock.

Ragged examples go for less than your price. Be willing to negotiate some but you're close. The way I look at it, this is the cost of a general SC300 in *good* condition with the added cost of an entire W58 5-speed swap added on including the cluster, correct speedo and 4.083 rear end, not to mention labor and the fact that it was a manual from the factory.

Yea I thought I was about right. I left some room in for negotiation. Body has 180k newer replacement motor at 140k with all new belts radiator etc. Clean title and interior is flawless leaps and bounds the best part on the car i would say haha.
Old 09-13-12, 06:14 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds more than fair, actually. And with that manual and a black interior? You'll have interest, but the timing will be the only thing you can't control.

What says the group? Has the market for our cars diminished?
Old 09-14-12, 01:13 PM
leonsup
Driver

I've never thought that craigslist was a good place to sell our cars..........Monte Carlos and Mustangs, yes.....SC's no! I know autotrader is pricy but that is where your potential buyer is.
Old 09-14-12, 02:56 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
I feel like the problem is more related to finding the right buyer. A local sale you may not find someone that is a true enthusiast and therefore may not see the value in the car especially being a 5spd and clean / unmolested. The car market is such a buyers market right now especailly when your a private seller people will low ball you.
Old 09-14-12, 04:22 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive put my car for sale lately with no interest, a niche car for the age and price. I still win if it dosent sell.
Old 09-15-12, 12:52 PM
NKYSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I feel like the problem is more related to finding the right buyer. A local sale you may not find someone that is a true enthusiast and therefore may not see the value in the car especially being a 5spd and clean / unmolested. The car market is such a buyers market right now especailly when your a private seller people will low ball you.
Yea someone on Craiglist a dad and son looked at it and offered me like 4500 saying that was kbb. And I was like uh kbb doesnt account for rarity or desirability and have a nice day. I think its similar to some trucks, i've owner several and selling the SC to buy another Dodge Ram with a cummins diesel 4x4. They kbb at like 4500 but sell all day in the 8000+ range.
Old 09-15-12, 02:49 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craigslist is just a little to sketchy for me (at least in the realm of selling cars). Too many scams abound, and for some reason everyone who calls thinks they can deliberately lowball you.

It's worse than a damn garage sale, actually. I've made some great purchases from Craigslist, but they were few and very far between.

I bought mine off eBay. The first buyer was a deadbeat and the owner relisted- I did a BIN to keep from losing it again. There were at least ten different bidders throughout the auction.
Old 09-15-12, 10:02 PM
NKYSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Craigslist is just a little to sketchy for me (at least in the realm of selling cars). Too many scams abound, and for some reason everyone who calls thinks they can deliberately lowball you.

It's worse than a damn garage sale, actually. I've made some great purchases from Craigslist, but they were few and very far between.

I bought mine off eBay. The first buyer was a deadbeat and the owner relisted- I did a BIN to keep from losing it again. There were at least ten different bidders throughout the auction.
Never thought about ebay really. Not sure how much they charge for an auto listing and hard to deal with people shipping or something idk i might give it a go.
Old 09-17-12, 01:48 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I doubt it. It's always been niche, so I think trying to sell quickly would be a painful experience in the end. Few people want these things in the general car market but the people that do are looking for them and that's fine.

I ran into a guy while I was leaving from a job at a hotel this weekend who was really interested in my car-- not to purchase but he knew exactly what it was and was very enthusiastic. No one else standing at the valet was nearly as interested although I'm sure it looked like a general sporty coupe to them, and perhaps they saw the Lexus badge at best. I saw a McLaren MP4-12C pull in earlier in the day so it's perhaps not the best venue to gauge but the point is that randomly some young guy knew the what the car was and how rare it was. There are people who look for 5-speed manual SC's.

Values probably won't ever go up beyond their current levels but I think that level is pretty fair, considering. Someone can build a manual SC from any automatic but it will cost a good chunk more than the KBB value for that automatic. A car is worth what people are willing to pay for it but it's also worth what someone is willing to let it go for. Original SC3 5-speed values still aren't close to what MKIV Supra NA Automatics are going for and are pretty close to what many credible sub-300hp RWD 80's/90's sports cars and coupes are listed at on the used market.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-17-12 at 01:54 AM.