SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

car accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 07:43 AM
UR2klose
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car accident

yesterday some lady ran into me with a dodge magnum. nothing at all was wrong with her car except for some scuffs in her paint, my car on the other hand took all the damage i spoke with my insurance company already but they said they need the police report before anything can be done. while i wait im just curious do you guys think this is enough damage for my car to be considered totaled?? im hoping not..

Old 09-07-12, 08:03 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sorry to hear what happened, good thing you're ok. They're probably gonna consider that salvage just because of that quarter panel damage beside the door.... Insurance companies seem to hate rear quarter panel damage....
Old 09-07-12, 08:09 AM
UR2klose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I'm sorry to hear what happened, good thing you're ok. They're probably gonna consider that salvage just because of that quarter panel damage beside the door.... Insurance companies seem to hate rear quarter panel damage....
yea thats the part im worried about. i know i can just slap a new door on but i dont know about that panel. the door still opens and close fine though
Old 09-07-12, 08:10 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn man sorry to see this. Hope your physically okay but I know your not emotionally. They might total it out since rear quater is damaged. Hopefully you get another 97+ good luck
Old 09-07-12, 08:15 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My condolences, on the loss of your Sc.

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 09-07-12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-07-12, 09:48 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry about your accident, and kingphilip is right...that rear quarter panel is what's going to be the PITA for insurance companies. Either way, wish you all the best and keep us posted.
Old 09-07-12, 10:00 AM
Boostd
Driver

My condolences was well. Man that was a nice car. Insurance probably will total it because of it's age. Will require alot of work around the door jam to get right. Let us know what they end up doing.
Old 09-07-12, 10:04 AM
BSanders22
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! that sucks! And I tend to agree with everyone, replacing that rear quarter, as well as fixing the inner door jamb is going to be a pain in the ***, and knowing how insurance companies are, they will probably total that car out... :/ best of luck though, hopefully we're wrong! Or they find you a nicer SC!
Old 09-07-12, 10:18 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about the accident, At least your okay! Hope the insurance company doesnt screw you! Good luck
Old 09-07-12, 10:27 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Total is only relative to value and only you know the specifics of your car.
Old 09-08-12, 09:11 AM
R3Y
Rookie

my friend had a green sc4 and someone bumped him on the rear quarter panel and the insurance onsidered it a totaled car. it was a fist sized dent.
Old 09-08-12, 10:12 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Well sounds like you're ok so its off to a good start. As for the damage, you can always go to Lexus or a solid body shop and get an estimate. After getting a figure you'll know what the insurance company is going to do.. Good luck bro with whatever turns out!
Old 09-09-12, 07:58 AM
UR2klose
Pole Position

i went to a few shops yesterday to get some estimates. the first place i went to gave me a print out of everything that had to be done which came out to 5,900. this included replacing the door, glass, quart panel, paint, 4 wheel wheel alignment, and labor. everything would be done with dealer parts. the second place i went to didn't give me a set price because they said they had to call the dealer to get a price on the door. but told me the panel wasn't a big deal and could be fixed. the last place i went to told me to bring a door from the junk yard and they'll fix the panel and paint the door, panel and door jam for 1,300. i'm pretty sure the insurance companies estimate will be close to the first shop i went to, so i'm guessing it will be considered totaled. i may just say f what they say though and fix it anyway. i haven't even had this car a whole year but i've grown attached it. plus I've been looking on craigslist the past few days for another sc and i don't see any 97+ sc's. only found two with ugly body kits on them. for now i have to just wait it out though. which i hate, im very impatient and hate seeing my car like this. ive already found a white door in the junk yard yesterday that i was tempted to get but it had some rust...

Old 09-09-12, 01:54 PM
ksrnumber1
Driver School Candidate

I had a collision 09-07-12 I feel your pain sir.
Old 09-09-12, 02:00 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sympathy for your loss. The damage on that looks serious enough that they'll probably total the car. Insurance companies just suck, sometimes.

On the other hand, you could take their settlement and then buy the car back. Then the least you could do is part it out (your stuff is very desirable as '97+). Just realize that they will push back as much as possible.

Also, gather as many of your receipts as possible. If they're going to total the car, then they owe you for some/all of those expenses.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: car accident