SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New SC! Any tips or suggestions?

Old 08-23-12, 12:19 PM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC! Any tips or suggestions?

Hey, picked up the sc over a month ago just decided to post on here after looking for differemt parts and mods to do to it. Ive been on club lexus for 2.5 years but just got the Lexus which I will keep for a while. K, so its black on black 1996 SC300 106k miles on clock when purchases. Some older gentleman that lived in Oregon, was his weekend car. Here she is. Tell me what you think!

Last edited by ahmedp; 08-23-12 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 08-23-12, 12:57 PM
Fonzopin92
Rookie

Thumbs up

Nice SC, low miles on her too! I would start with some nice tint on it
Old 08-23-12, 01:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Very cool. Gold exhaust tips are rare.

Welcome. Keep it clean whatever you do with it.
Old 08-23-12, 02:36 PM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Guys!

I forgot to add the few additions to the car since those pictures. Now she's on 18" IS250/350 rims and did the fog light mod where you can turn on just the fog lights. Also hids. and led reverse, license, dome lights. Can't decide if I should buy coilovers or not, it would be the first time I would be spending a grand or so just on suspension. All my friends said to get rid of gold emblems. I kinda like them now.

Old 08-23-12, 02:52 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

First thing is always maintenence... So I would do that. I have a question what is your goal with this car? Looks, performance, handling or just a commuter?? These are the things we need to know more about to answer your original question. Also clean car and nice start!!
Old 08-23-12, 03:22 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 4urxtc
First thing is always maintenence... So I would do that. I have a question what is your goal with this car? Looks, performance, handling or just a commuter?? These are the things we need to know more about to answer your original question. Also clean car and nice start!!
He hit it right on the head... ^^^^^^^^

Nice start. I would save and buy coilovers, but if you dont like the slammed looked, then check the classifieds and find some Esplier springs or Tanabe's. You wont go wrong with either. I say remove the gold pin stripe, leave the emblems that color, and tint it. Research your power goals, and then let the hard hitting modding begin.
Old 08-23-12, 03:38 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks clean. Is the interior black or tan? Is it a 5-speed or automatic? By the way, if you remove the emblems you'll have exposed holes (only the newer Lexus cars don't have that problem). You could do what I did and plastidip the emblems, you don't notice them as much and when you do you can see a nice texture
Old 08-23-12, 06:01 PM
LowerIt
Driver School Candidate

Link to how you did that fog mod please? thanks!
Old 08-23-12, 06:42 PM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. The fog light mod works for 95+ sc300s. Here's the link to the DIY another member posted https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...light-mod.html
Old 08-23-12, 07:45 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
He hit it right on the head... ^^^^^^^^

Nice start. I would save and buy coilovers, but if you dont like the slammed looked, then check the classifieds and find some Esplier springs or Tanabe's. You wont go wrong with either. I say remove the gold pin stripe, leave the emblems that color, and tint it. Research your power goals, and then let the hard hitting modding begin.
Diddo, what they said. Definitely a clean car!
Old 08-23-12, 07:51 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a clean 96. I would start by seeing if the timing belt has been done. Get new plugs/wires, check if the valve cover gasket is leaking, new distributor cap/rotor and change all fluids for a fresh start. Then let the modding begin.
Old 08-23-12, 11:54 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Like all the guys here are saying, get all the maintenance out of the way before you get into modding it. Once you get to the brakes though, i would suggest doing an LS400 or a TT brake upgrade instead of just buying new rotors and pads for the current setup. I got my LS400 setup for 100 bucs. Still need to put them on but for the price you cant beat it.
Old 08-31-12, 11:06 AM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again guys. Is 140+tax good for ls400 brakes? I found some but am wondering if thats a good price for them. Also close to getting coilovers someone is selling Power By Max coilovers for around $800 has 6k miles on them, are those good coilovers? Anyone have experience with them, It would be my first time buying coilovers. And about the maintanence. Luckily I have all the recipets and the timing belt and all major and minor tuneups have been performed under previous owner so all I have to do is the oilchange sometime this week and im set on that part of it.
Old 08-31-12, 11:09 AM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

And in terms of where im headed with the car, probably performance/Handling but I do alot of daily driving. Just want something with a better handling. Of course looking at options for turbocharger. Really considered a 1jz-gte, (2jz-gte is wayy out of my range) but a friend of mine recommended when I have enough to buy a 1jz-gte head and use on current 2jz. First have to locate a 5 speed tranny probably r154.
Old 08-31-12, 11:39 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing I'd do is pull that pin stripe off...then maintenance lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New SC! Any tips or suggestions?