SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Custom Instrument Cluster in OEM housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 05:31 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Kenneth, wish you all the best with your project...definitely keeps us posted. Enjoy your stay, and welcome to the CL family!

Steve
Thank you Steve!
Old 08-21-12, 05:38 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
I can't believe I just found a gauge cluster app for a smart phone. Know just figure out how to tastefully doc an IPad where the cluster is and create an app for that and, voila! Instant cluster! LOL......

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...29tLnNwZWVkIl0.

It's so funny my cousin has been on this iPad integration kick. He wants to do a in dash mount for his RX-7 to get rid of his Pioneer DVD/Nav. If you went the car computer route you could mount a sweet display in the gauge area and touchscreen in the dash. I've seen gps based speed sensors that are universal. So many options with time and technology!
Old 08-21-12, 07:02 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KennethP
It's so funny my cousin has been on this iPad integration kick. He wants to do a in dash mount for his RX-7 to get rid of his Pioneer DVD/Nav. If you went the car computer route you could mount a sweet display in the gauge area and touchscreen in the dash. I've seen gps based speed sensors that are universal. So many options with time and technology!
i actually bought my ipad for my car just been thru so many sc's i never got around to installing it. there is some threads of ppl who have done it.

back on topic: those blue gauges are sick. i want them. too bad i can bet anything they are not only not accurate but they probably do not flow perfect thru the numbers. u know like they probably static thru. ex for tach might read 200 rpm then jump thru to 350rpm. like a tuners computer.
Old 08-21-12, 07:42 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

So many options with time and technology!
And Money
Old 08-22-12, 04:57 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Not from a Soarer/SC hell even a Toyota, but this is basically what I wanted to do to replace my digi dash in the Soarer.

As much as I dislike the digi dash it kinda looks at home with the EMV screen in my V8.
Old 08-22-12, 05:20 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ thts exactly what im talking about except i want to make tht inside the stock cluster so it still keeps the front cover.
Old 08-22-12, 08:42 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Not from a Soarer/SC hell even a Toyota, but this is basically what I wanted to do to replace my digi dash in the Soarer.

As much as I dislike the digi dash it kinda looks at home with the EMV screen in my V8.
Simple, Clean. Very nice! Have you figured out how to connect them up? Did you make the new housing for the gauges or is that readily available? Thanks. I really like the concept. There are endless combinations of gauges out there for customizing. Keep up the great work!.
Old 08-22-12, 11:22 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

That looks so clean. Do you have any other pics? With the speedo on?
Old 08-22-12, 12:02 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do like the idea about the newer IS guages one of the posters mentioned but it doesn't seem like that got off the ground.
Oh, I got it off the ground, then dropped it, picked it back up again, then threw it back down, kicked it around a bit, picked it up again, then smoked a lot of cigarettes and uttered many swear words while I poured over page after page of wiring diagrams, then put it down again and haven't touched it since.

I got it to fit perfectly, turn on, light up, warning lights work, all the indicators work and the tachometer works, but I couldn't get the speedometer, fuel gauge and temperature gauge working.

Im pretty sure I figured out how to get them working but its been 4 months since the last time I worked on it and I have zero motivation right now finish it. But I know I will some day.

Old 08-22-12, 12:32 PM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Oh, I got it off the ground, then dropped it, picked it back up again, then threw it back down, kicked it around a bit, picked it up again, then smoked a lot of cigarettes and uttered many swear words while I poured over page after page of wiring diagrams, then put it down again and haven't touched it since.

I got it to fit perfectly, turn on, light up, warning lights work, all the indicators work and the tachometer works, but I couldn't get the speedometer, fuel gauge and temperature gauge working.

Im pretty sure I figured out how to get them working but its been 4 months since the last time I worked on it and I have zero motivation right now finish it. But I know I will some day.
Mind sharing any of that info I would love to attempt to finish it myself. Hell if you got ISx50 wiring mind sharing anything on the column and controls
Old 08-22-12, 03:23 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
And Money
So true indeed!

Major props to you. That came out great; what kind of car is that on?

Originally Posted by cmh
^^^ thts exactly what im talking about except i want to make tht inside the stock cluster so it still keeps the front cover.
I think the guy on the ZX2 forum kept his factory cover.

That's a lot of progress. I wonder if you could use some kind of relay or diode to modify the signal from the SC sensors to the IS gauges. I also wonder what the physical difference is between the IS and SC fuel level sensors. If you could share any info about your wiring knowledge it would help all of us.

I really see a lot of promise here. I think we could get some gauge cluster projects going with everyone contributing. I have to install my suspension and wheels first because my wife is tired of the wheels being stacked in the living room. Hopefully, I can find an SC gauge at the junkyard to hack up.
Old 08-22-12, 04:51 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jacj3
Mind sharing any of that info I would love to attempt to finish it myself. Hell if you got ISx50 wiring mind sharing anything on the column and controls
That's a lot of progress. I wonder if you could use some kind of relay or diode to modify the signal from the SC sensors to the IS gauges. I also wonder what the physical difference is between the IS and SC fuel level sensors. If you could share any info about your wiring knowledge it would help all of us.

I really see a lot of promise here. I think we could get some gauge cluster projects going with everyone contributing. I have to install my suspension and wheels first because my wife is tired of the wheels being stacked in the living room. Hopefully, I can find an SC gauge at the junkyard to hack up.
I just got married and moved into a new place recently so all my stuff is still packed away in boxes in my storage unit but as soon as I unpack it all I'll let you know. But a word of warning, I have a degree in electrical engineering, have been fascinated by and have studied electricity and electronics for more than a decade and this project has been one of the most difficult things I've ever attempted before.
Old 08-22-12, 05:39 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

Would be nice if you could get it working 100%! Good luck
Old 08-22-12, 06:21 PM
UZinator
Rookie

I am planning on building myself a digital cluster (within an OEM cluster) like I have done for my Probe GT:

http://www.xtremethings.com/Digital_Cluster.htm
Old 08-22-12, 06:57 PM
MaszSC300
Driver School Candidate

whoa thats some crazy stuff there.

Quick Reply: Custom Instrument Cluster in OEM housing