SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Climate Control Backlighting - I fixed it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 04:32 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Climate Control Backlighting - I fixed it!

Just wanted to let everyone here know that I successfully replaced all 6 bulbs (3 for buttons, 3 for LCD) in the climate control system. I used Lexus part number LX 84999-60360. The button bulbs were easy. The LCD bulbs were a little difficult but not as bad as everyone made it out to be. i.e. bending back those pins connected to the LCD to get out the bulbs really wasn't a big deal.

The bulbs may come with covers and they may not (I bought the same part number different times - the first batch had them, the second didn't). It does not matter as the old covers work great and I found they covered the bulb better anyway.

The LCD bulbs require you to take the new bulbs out of the grey base and fit them into the small black bases found where the existing LCD bulbs are. Of course, you need to have some basic soldering skills to mount theses three bulbs. My friend helped me and I would recommend an extra set of hands for this part.

The only downside to this project is that when I was done, the LCD display looked a bit darker than the sound system LCD below (the color is the same though). Although the bulbs themselves look identical, the OEM ones might have a slightly higher wattage. It could also just be a slight change in manufacturing changes over the years. I was told a few years ago by an Aussie they were the same bulb, so that's why I used the ones used in the buttons on the LCD. If it is not the same, it is very close and looks identical.

If you ask Lexus for a replacement part the only bulb they have been able to find is the one for the buttons, so anything else you do will have to be a home-grown solution.

I am very pleased with the result and just wanted to tell all those that said it can't be done - I did it!

Ryan
Old 11-20-02, 08:46 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Were all 6 bulps #LX 84999-60360?

This is on my "To do" list and haven't even looked into it. But knowing exactly what I need a head of time is always helpful-

Thanks for your help.

Keith

For what its worth, my LCD is darker than the radio illumination. (and I'm not talkin' because the bulbs were burnt out - I know someone was thinking that)
Old 11-20-02, 12:25 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith, 93 sc?
Old 11-20-02, 12:32 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah,

I agree with Keith, my A/C is darker and the bulbs are just fine in my 92.

MW
Old 11-20-02, 12:58 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks Ryan!

The center bulb is out on the climate control on my '93 SC4 and I look forward to replacing all the bulbs - now I know what part number to order without researching it! Thanks for that!

And I also agree that the climate control display is slightly darker than the stereo display. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the dark space in the middle of the display!
Old 11-20-02, 01:45 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Hey Keith,

Always amazed how many projects we have in common. All 6 bulbs are the same number. You will just have to take 3 apart from the base and remount them for the LCD part. You will understand when you get in there. The dealer charged me $7 a piece for these - total rip off but I wanted to do the project now. Carson Toyota didn't have them in stock when I was there last weekend. You may want to see what they would charge if they ordered them.

I really have to say this was a straight-forward and realitivly simple project. If you know how to remove the center console and can solder it's a slam dunk.

Good Luck!
Ryan
Old 11-20-02, 04:13 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

hi Ryan, you could use LX 84999-60360 for lcd backlight bulbs? that's something new
I have questions for you. did LX 84999-60360 come with black socket or grey one, or just bulb?
for your original lcd backlight bulbs, does it have white or black socket?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Climate Control Backlighting - I fixed it!-bulbs.jpg  
Old 11-20-02, 05:47 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Taka,

The LX 84999-60360 came with the grey base - exactly the same as the button bulbs. The old LCD bulbs had a black base attached like in the picture you attached on the right. I removed the LX 84999-60360 bulbs from the grey base and set them aside. I then removed the LCD bulbs by de-soldering the wires on the backside. This allowed me to put the bulb (no base) from LX 84999-60360 into the black base of the old LCD bulbs. I then soldered in LX 84999-60360 with black base and used the old blue covers. The bulbs themselves look identical, but they have no markings, so like I said before, they could be slightly different wattage - but they worked. The only physical difference was that the old LCD bulbs had slightly longer wires, so when I put the LX 84999-60360 bulbs in the black bases, I could not twist the wires around the base before soldering like the old ones. However, a good solder mount secures these just fine.

Like I said before, if you buy 6 LX 84999-60360, open the control unit, and know how to solder, this is really easy.

I took pictures and can post some if that is helpful. I will also take a picture of the final result so you guys can judge for yourselves. Maybe this thread can be summarized later and added to the FAQ.

Ryan
Old 11-20-02, 07:24 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I can get you original black one if you want.
Old 11-20-02, 10:45 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled this from behind the lcd face when I first got the car. There were 3 in all and 2 are out. Is this the bulb you guys are referring to or are there more deeper inside the lcd screen itself? Only 2 of the buttons are lit on the left side and I didn't know more were suppose to be. Are they all suppose to be lit? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Climate Control Backlighting - I fixed it!-acbulb.jpg  
Old 11-20-02, 11:44 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Evo - those light up the buttons. If you put in 3 good bulbs, all buttons will light up. If you take apart the unit further you will find 3 others mounted differently (soldered) behind the LCD.

Taka, if you can get the original black base one could you post the Lexus part number or tell us where you are getting it from. Is the bulb any different or just the mounting?
Old 11-21-02, 12:03 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Here is the end result:
Attached Thumbnails Climate Control Backlighting - I fixed it!-ac-repair001.jpg  
Old 11-21-02, 12:04 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

i think i put the part numbers here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=59289
Old 11-21-02, 12:05 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Notice how it is slightly darker than the Audio system. Still pretty close to the difference in stock if not the same.
Attached Thumbnails Climate Control Backlighting - I fixed it!-ac-repair002.jpg  
Old 11-21-02, 12:07 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

hey ryan, good work!
but isn't it darker than original one, if you use 84999-60360? or the same?
I used wrong bulbs for backlights before, I didn't like it, it was too dark.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Backlighting - I fixed it!