SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who actually races or track there SCs?

Old 08-20-12, 12:51 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
A lot of the drag strips closed down in southern California for a while mostly due to noise ordinance regulations (folks, if you start building houses in the middle of nowhere next to a drag strip you have no right to complain about noise and force them to close because they can't afford to construct a million-dollar "sound wall") but at least one has opened up again. Fontana, I think.

Race tracks, however, are still and always have been open but it's pricey to get into trackday events. I plan to, however.
There are a few in the so cal/south west tracks to run at. In So cal there's willow springs (so cal) which has 3 actual tracks.( big willow, Streets of Willow, and Horse thief mile), button willow, fontana speedway (roval setup which is in-field + part of the high speed nascar oval). A few hour drive away from so cal you have Spring mountain in Pahrump out near las vegas, also there is chuckwalla raceway near the arizona boarder in so cal (never been there only heard about it from friends who ride bikes out there).

I think on average I've spent about $150ish per track day and u get about 5 20 min sessions a day.

A power steering cooler is also a good idea for those of you tracking, Ive actually killed quite a few ps pumps on the track in my previous track car.
Old 08-20-12, 12:55 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleepyboi
There are a few in the so cal/south west tracks to run at. In So cal there's willow springs (so cal) which has 3 actual tracks.( big willow, Streets of Willow, and Horse thief mile), button willow, fontana speedway (roval setup which is in-field + part of the high speed nascar oval). A few hour drive away from so cal you have Spring mountain in Pahrump out near las vegas, also there is chuckwalla raceway near the arizona boarder in so cal (never been there only heard about it from friends who ride bikes out there).

I think on average I've spent about $150ish per track day and u get about 5 20 min sessions a day.

A power steering cooler is also a good idea for those of you tracking, Ive actually killed quite a few ps pumps on the track in my previous track car.
Mod list on your SC?
Old 08-20-12, 01:46 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marshall2j
Mod list on your SC?
NA-T - supra tt cop - aem ems v2 - gixxer drew coilovers a bunch of other random stuff
Old 08-21-12, 12:24 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by marshall2j
My car came with a W58. Hoping it lasts a couple events this year, then I'm going to be doing the R154 swap this winter.

My G had no issues with power steering, do you think the SC is more prone to having issues? Oil cooling and perhaps PS cooling is on the table for this winter as well.
I've read as much that with enough hard driving we can boil over our PS systems on SC's (and on Supras as well?). I have a Hayden 678 cooler waiting to go into my passenger air duct. Since my car is a DD I've thought I should get a smaller cooler, however, as that model was recommended as per Stu Hagen's setup on his track MKIV.
Old 08-21-12, 12:49 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I've read as much that with enough hard driving we can boil over our PS systems on SC's (and on Supras as well?). I have a Hayden 678 cooler waiting to go into my passenger air duct. Since my car is a DD I've thought I should get a smaller cooler, however, as that model was recommended as per Stu Hagen's setup on his track MKIV.
I don't think the PS boiling over is soley directed at SC's and Supras. My previous track car was a 2010 Camaro SS. Quite a few of the hard core track guys have told me its a problem for them as well and the cars ranged from cars like BMW E36, MB AMG C63, to DSMs to SRTs.

Most of them run power steering coolers of some sorts, ive also seen guys juss tape up the ps cap with like a towel so it doesnt splash all over when it boils out, they just check it in between sessions. refill if alot has boiled over and then just it let cool down.
Old 08-21-12, 01:47 AM
redhanded7
Driver

our track closed here, so alls we got is street races, street drifting and highway pulls. So street drifting and highway pulls is all that my sc see's.

I also got a ps steering cooler mounted in the driver side duct, and with all the drifting Ive done, haven't had it boil over yet.

hopefully I can ship the car over to another island with a track and get a 10sec slip.

Last edited by redhanded7; 08-21-12 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 07:58 AM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking of all this PS talk, has anyone tried to do a electric ps pump from the MR2/MR-S in the SC I have the wiring diagrams and all to do it not the pump yet. I want to do it on my SC4 for my single setup, I plan on mounting it where the smog canister was. Going to be running a S475 or 7675 so space will be an issue.
Old 08-21-12, 08:17 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleepyboi
Most of them run power steering coolers of some sorts, ive also seen guys juss tape up the ps cap with like a towel so it doesnt splash all over when it boils out, they just check it in between sessions. refill if alot has boiled over and then just it let cool down.
Just about every car when burdened with bigger or sticky tires will overheat their stock PS system. Same often applies to brake fluid.

My 350z is flawless at the track if I stick to stock tires (which I never do now that I have 305mm V710's)
Old 08-21-12, 10:32 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind... Do you guys have pics of oil and ps cooler set ups? Thinking of piecing together a kit myself instead of buying one... save some $$
Old 08-21-12, 04:46 PM
redhanded7
Driver

heres an exterior pic of the cooler. Everything is ran with -6 lines and AN fittings.
Old 08-21-12, 08:54 PM
UGJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redhanded7
heres an exterior pic of the cooler. Everything is ran with -6 lines and AN fittings.
looks boss!
Old 08-21-12, 09:03 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Always thought of the SC as more of a drift car vs a track car. Makes me see the car in a new light.
Old 09-27-12, 10:06 AM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Still in the process of building but realized it would be a waste to buy 2 sets of wheels before TX2K13. So I just picked out my bigs and skinny setup which will be street driven on DR.

Weld Racing Street Performance S71 plan on running 15x10.25 7.5bs wrapped in 325/50/15 on the rear.

On Supra
Old 10-02-12, 06:10 AM
UGJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

current track setup

Old 10-02-12, 07:47 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are a few pictures of mine at Willow Springs...Horsethief Mile. I have to say that this car is so heavy on the track that it takes some of the fun out of it. My ae86 is a million times more fun to drive at the track. pics are below

Attached Thumbnails Who actually races or track there SCs?-vp2_8753.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who actually races or track there SCs?