SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 in Winter? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 01:51 PM
Soloist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put some Blizzacs on it an ur good for snow!!!
Old 07-01-12, 07:57 PM
durps
Lead Lap

I bumped into a sc4 owner at a meet, which is rare to see any fellow sc owners. So we were talking and i explained how I got my sc not too long ago and asked how it runs in the snow.
He said horribly, which was expected for a rwd car. He said taking off trac control and adding 200 pounds worth of dumbbells in the.trunk increases the.handling. Never heard of such a thing.
What do you guys think about this? And would I want trac control to be on in the snow???
Old 07-01-12, 07:58 PM
durps
Lead Lap

And wouldnt I want trac control to be on*
Old 07-01-12, 09:07 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

durps, it sounds like you ran into someone who didn't have the right winter tires on his car.

As for the trac, I found that taking the traction control off and allowing some wheelspin would get me going faster than having it on and killing the throttle.
Old 07-01-12, 10:31 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

In my experience, I can get the tires to spin with trac on or off. I honestly drive better with it off. If you understand the basics behind car control and what makes a RWD car understeer or oversteer, how to recover from both of those, and skidding, traction control will only hurt you. Traction control systems have mostly been designed for people who really don't know how to drive at all, and panic in dire situations.

Here is the deal behind driving in the snow with RWD:

All of your inputs have to be smooth, and steady. Anything sudden or violent, and you will break traction.

A good set of dedicated winter tires can make your car perform MUCH better. All-season will work in a pinch, or if your roads are always plowed, but anything more than an inch or two of snow will give you a bit of trouble. I recommend Blizzak or Continental.

Ballast in the trunk will help keep the car stabile, (this car is very front heavy) and also help keep the rear tires planted better.
Old 07-02-12, 04:13 PM
clydes93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoaringSC
In my experience, I can get the tires to spin with trac on or off. I honestly drive better with it off. If you understand the basics behind car control and what makes a RWD car understeer or oversteer, how to recover from both of those, and skidding, traction control will only hurt you. Traction control systems have mostly been designed for people who really don't know how to drive at all, and panic in dire situations.

Here is the deal behind driving in the snow with RWD:

All of your inputs have to be smooth, and steady. Anything sudden or violent, and you will break traction.

A good set of dedicated winter tires can make your car perform MUCH better. All-season will work in a pinch, or if your roads are always plowed, but anything more than an inch or two of snow will give you a bit of trouble. I recommend Blizzak or Continental.

Ballast in the trunk will help keep the car stabile, (this car is very front heavy) and also help keep the rear tires planted better.
Couldnt have said it better myself..well done
Old 07-02-12, 04:57 PM
PeteSoarer
Driver

What a bunch of lamers! Of course drive rear wheel drive SC400 on snow. So much fun and you could learn some real car control skills that you won't necessarily learn on tarmac. But expensive Nokian spike tires are must. You can only learn by driving, not being over careful and driving a civic. Just take care and keep on your mind those salt/rust issues.
Old 07-02-12, 05:00 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it. Just need snow tires. LSD is recommended.

I owned an RB S13 with no safety anything and it did well. Don't be an idiot. The snow tires and not being stupid are KEYS. LOL