SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 Audio Upgrade and Review

Old 06-25-12, 09:52 AM
Chris1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Audio Upgrade and Review

Hi Everyone,

This is my first review on really anything. I would like to say think of myself an “Amateur Audiophile” when it comes to Home and Car audio. I love all likes of music, but listen to a lot of Reggae and Dancehall (since I am from there—yeah mon!). I have an 8yr son who is autistic and he is infatuated with music, I have to give him a lot of credit because he really turned me on to variety of music (his favorite being Jason Mraz).

Okay the review:

Original setup:

I purchased a 1996 SC300 that I planned to do more of an engine build, but also intended to upgrade the audio system. I am dedicating this review to all the SC300/400’s out there because this was one of the headrest cars to upgrade (just a pain in a$$)! The stock OEM system came with (mine was the pioneer model, not the Nakamichi):

• Double din head unit
• Front Stage: 4” doors with separate tweeters (Lexus made plastic enclosure to “create more bass” from the 4” drivers)
• Rear: 5 ¼ coaxial
• Sub: 10” free air mounted on the rear dash

Like everyone, I did a little research to understand what I would be able to upgrade to…
Initial Upgrade:

• Head Unit (AVH-P1400DVD DVD)
• Front Stage: 4” MB Quarts PKC 110 Coaxial
• Rear: MB Quarts PSD 213 (just woofer no tweeters)
• JL 10” W0v2 (mounted in the OEM rear deck)
• Alpine MRP-F250 (4ch)
• JL G1300 mono (300watts @2ohm)
• Wal-Mart 8 gage wires to install (what a waste!)

Review on initial upgrade:

First off I was very pleased with the MB quarts and the Alpine amp. The speakers played loud and very clear. I may have been getting ~45 watts per channel, but have to say it sounded great! Due to the size of the mids and highs I set the crossover to ~100 Hz on the amp, and they sounded a bit bright, so I adjusted the rest from the HU which help to improve the brightness. All in all I was pleased with the front stage at this point.
As for the SUBWOOFER, well this was a nightmare. When I purchased this car I didn’t realize that the gas tank was located in the trunk right behind the rear seat?!? This made it challenging mounting the subwoofer as the magnet was 2-3” from touching the gas tank. I picked up the JL and amp from craigslist for $70.00, and decided that I could use them (why not)—Well after some modifications I was able to fit the sub in the stock location on the rear deck! The new system sounded great, however, when the volume was turned up the bass sounded like crap. But thanks to the some audio forums I now understand why. Anyway, I had a seal 10” sub (non-powered) used for my HT from Elemental Designs and decided to use it in my trunk—this was a big improvement however, due to the 21 gallon gas tank and the seal trunk, I wasn’t getting the lower end bass I would like, not to mention the sub was under powered. So I am going to upgrade once more…

New System:

• Focal FPP4100 (4ch) amp (new)
• RF T500-1bd (new)
• RF (2) P2 10’s (this may change)
• All new Stinger 4 gage wires and RCA’s (new)
• Custom flush mounted amps (new)

Check out pics: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/...hrander/SC300/
Old 06-25-12, 11:53 AM
food7373
Pole Position

Very nice looking car, and good luck with the new sound system!
Old 06-25-12, 12:13 PM
ch1ck3n
Rookie

Let me know when you have perfected the sound systems, so I can do the same with my SC300 as well.
Old 06-25-12, 12:14 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

make templates of your front pods and upgrade to 6.5" components, use stock location for tweeters. BIG difference in front stage.

Sound deaden the front stage as well as the rear and you will see a big difference!

Good start!
Old 06-25-12, 12:39 PM
ch1ck3n
Rookie

^^^ Thanks, I'll give that a try. So that means the rear speakers are still stock? Just component speakers in the front only?
Old 06-26-12, 12:21 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NIce set up, looks really clean. Good job bro!
Old 06-26-12, 12:27 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ch1ck3n
^^^ Thanks, I'll give that a try. So that means the rear speakers are still stock? Just component speakers in the front only?
Well you said that you did 5.25" in the back, which personally I would change to a coaxial speaker.

Fronts are components stock, which you can utilize the stock tweeter location for the tweeter and place a larger woofer in the door. 6.5"s would be ideal.
Old 06-27-12, 08:30 AM
Chris1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 88supramki
Well you said that you did 5.25" in the back, which personally I would change to a coaxial speaker.

Fronts are components stock, which you can utilize the stock tweeter location for the tweeter and place a larger woofer in the door. 6.5"s would be ideal.
I would have done that, but when I install the speakers (initially), the 5 1/4 wouldn't fix in the doors without modifications, and I was too lazy at the time modify as well as thinking that I would upgrade to the Focal's one day.
Old 06-27-12, 08:49 AM
Chris1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ch1ck3n
Let me know when you have perfected the sound systems, so I can do the same with my SC300 as well.
I'm all done with it (for now) and it sounds awesome! The 2 P2's with the T500-bd rocks! The Focal FPP 4100 Amp makes all the difference in the mids and highs-- amazing! I just uploaded some more pics. I would defiantly recommend this Focal amp. Eventually I am going to upgrade all the mids and highs with Focal Performance PS 130's
Old 06-27-12, 09:15 AM
Chris1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris1980
Hi Everyone,

This is my first review on really anything. I would like to say think of myself an “Amateur Audiophile” when it comes to Home and Car audio. I love all likes of music, but listen to a lot of Reggae and Dancehall (since I am from there—yeah mon!). I have an 8yr son who is autistic and he is infatuated with music, I have to give him a lot of credit because he really turned me on to variety of music (his favorite being Jason Mraz).

Okay the review:

Original setup:

I purchased a 1996 SC300 that I planned to do more of an engine build, but also intended to upgrade the audio system. I am dedicating this review to all the SC300/400’s out there because this was one of the headrest cars to upgrade (just a pain in a$$)! The stock OEM system came with (mine was the pioneer model, not the Nakamichi):

• Double din head unit
• Front Stage: 4” doors with separate tweeters (Lexus made plastic enclosure to “create more bass” from the 4” drivers)
• Rear: 5 ¼ coaxial
• Sub: 10” free air mounted on the rear dash

Like everyone, I did a little research to understand what I would be able to upgrade to…
Initial Upgrade:

• JL 10” W0v2 (mounted in the OEM rear deck)
• Alpine MRP-F250 (4ch)
• JL G1300 mono (300watts @2ohm)
• Wal-Mart 8 gage wires to install (what a waste!)

Review on initial upgrade:

First off I was very pleased with the MB quarts and the Alpine amp. The speakers played loud and very clear. I may have been getting ~45 watts per channel, but have to say it sounded great! Due to the size of the mids and highs I set the crossover to ~100 Hz on the amp, and they sounded a bit bright, so I adjusted the rest from the HU which help to improve the brightness. All in all I was pleased with the front stage at this point.
As for the SUBWOOFER, well this was a nightmare. When I purchased this car I didn’t realize that the gas tank was located in the trunk right behind the rear seat?!? This made it challenging mounting the subwoofer as the magnet was 2-3” from touching the gas tank. I picked up the JL and amp from craigslist for $70.00, and decided that I could use them (why not)—Well after some modifications I was able to fit the sub in the stock location on the rear deck! The new system sounded great, however, when the volume was turned up the bass sounded like crap. But thanks to the some audio forums I now understand why. Anyway, I had a seal 10” sub (non-powered) used for my HT from Elemental Designs and decided to use it in my trunk—this was a big improvement however, due to the 21 gallon gas tank and the seal trunk, I wasn’t getting the lower end bass I would like, not to mention the sub was under powered. So I am going to upgrade once more…

New System:

• Focal FPP4100 (4ch) amp (new)
• RF T500-1bd (new)
• RF (2) P2 10’s (this may change)
• All new Stinger 4 gage wires and RCA’s (new)
• Custom flush mounted amps (new)

Check out pics: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/...hrander/SC300/

Well I just completed the install and the amp flush (Big Thanks to AVE Car Stereo Warehouse in Clearwater, FL). The system sounds AWESOME! The Focal FPP4100 makes a huge difference-- highly recomended!!! I am still planning to flush mount the subs and do all Focal mids and highs (ran out of dough) one day... but the system absolutely pounds and has excellent SQ. The RF P2's are monsters, I honestly didn’t think I could get that much "clean" bass I cabin, but the T500-bd is NO JOKE. I was skeptical at first but I can honestly say to you guys with SC300/400's my setup exceeded my expectations. I can hear more detail than ever before, simply amazing. I'm going to clean up the car and upload better pics this weekend. I did upload some of now if you are interested.

Check out pics: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/...hrander/SC300/[/QUOTE]
Old 06-27-12, 09:58 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Making a template is REALLY simple. If I had my old templates I would just send them to you.

Take your speaker pod out, disassemble the pod, use the back portion of the pod to trace your template (Including mounting holes) onto a piece of MDF, Cut out MDF, use Speaker mounting circle to cut hole, mount to door using factory screws and dyanamat

I love my Focals, I've had them for going on 4 years now and they still rock!

If you want extra bottom end, I would suggest checking out the P3s. Just my $0.02
Old 06-27-12, 12:00 PM
Chris1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 88supramki
Making a template is REALLY simple. If I had my old templates I would just send them to you.

Take your speaker pod out, disassemble the pod, use the back portion of the pod to trace your template (Including mounting holes) onto a piece of MDF, Cut out MDF, use Speaker mounting circle to cut hole, mount to door using factory screws and dyanamat

I love my Focals, I've had them for going on 4 years now and they still rock!

If you want extra bottom end, I would suggest checking out the P3s. Just my $0.02

Yeah, I might do one Rockford T0 12" and flush that. The P2's are the newer model and the really hit... The have the gain turned up a little, and the HU at -7! But I do plan to get the Focal's soon.
Old 11-12-12, 12:28 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Any Info on a good size sub to replace the stock one? I want to swap the stock sub out and put a new one in I'm just not sure of the depth(Gas tank is in the way). I Just picked up a Alpine MRP-M350 Monoblock V amp, which I plan on mounting under my rear dash.To push eithewr a 10' or 12' sub or whichever will fit in the stock sub's spot. Trying to save as much trunk space as possible lol.