SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sunroof wind

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 08:58 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I took another look at it tonight, and I think it's a two-pronged issue depending on the deterioration of your weatherstripping (WS).

1) It needs to be filled out width-wise with tape, as explained above.

2) The glass needs to be raised up to make that extra width accomplish anything.

The WS has a rounded contour up top, and that seats against the lip of the roof. Expanding the width of the WS has minimal effect if it still sits below the roof line, which is what my front edge does. So, I added an oversized 1/4" washer under each of the six stacks of shims, leaving the shim arrangement how it was originally (even if it made no sense that way). You can really only fit one washer under there or you'll run out of thread on the nuts.

Keep in mind, I haven't taken it back out on the highway to test for improvements, but the WS feels much more snug against the roof now, so I'm not entirely talking out of my a$$.
Old 07-22-14, 07:42 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Reporting back... Raising the glass up with washers helped a bit. Maybe 50% reduction in wind noise, but that's probably being optimistic. I suspect that's as good as it's going to get without new weatherstripping.

However, I am curious about something else I found awhile back that I forgot about until just now when looking for this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ind-noise.html

There are two drain holes in both front corners of the sunroof. The other ends are by the rear wheels in the fenders. What you hear is the road noise.
My understanding is that this is one of the few problems that we all have seen with SC's.
Some people attach the thin part of a balloon at the fender end of the drain to cut the noise and allow water to get out.
A balloon would be a bit easier than my idea of trying to tie a one-way check valve into each of the drain lines, although I think the check valve would be a cleaner solution. It might be worth a test on a dry day with the drains taped over to see if that is indeed the cause, then come up with a more permanent fix if so.
Old 07-28-14, 02:08 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Reporting back... Raising the glass up with washers helped a bit. Maybe 50% reduction in wind noise, but that's probably being optimistic. I suspect that's as good as it's going to get without new weatherstripping.

However, I am curious about something else I found awhile back that I forgot about until just now when looking for this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ind-noise.html

A balloon would be a bit easier than my idea of trying to tie a one-way check valve into each of the drain lines, although I think the check valve would be a cleaner solution. It might be worth a test on a dry day with the drains taped over to see if that is indeed the cause, then come up with a more permanent fix if so.
my previous car had some sort of drain nozzle thingy at the end of the drain-line , its shut but when the water needs to drain it opens , once a year i cleaned the nuzzle and some dry stuff fell out , tbh i thought our SC would have these type of nozzles too
go to your local scrap yard and look for a thing like this

i tried searching for a good picture of it and came by this one , its seems to be from a Land Rover lol
Old 07-28-14, 05:41 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Nice find. I was actually thinking just last night, my check valve idea probably wouldn't work while driving, since air pressure would be pushing against it with more force than draining water could likely muster. Those rubber one-way valves are obviously designed for the same purpose but without that glaring drawback.

I see there are a number of similar VW designs on eBay, and I found this cheaper option for Hondas (#3):

http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...&b=B++3810&dl=

The key is figuring out what can be attached to our drains securely, since they don't appear to protrude from the vehicle. As far as I could tell, the rear drains come down somewhere above the mufflers, to either side of the spare tire, and the front drains are in the kick panel area? I'll need to pour some water into the gutter and see where it comes out. My first test might be to just put some tape over the top of the front drains, since that's easily accessible with the sunroof open. If road noise is the issue, I'm guessing it's mostly from the fronts, anyway.
Old 07-28-14, 08:32 PM
Ineedspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude my sun roof is leaking water bad.... it comes out at the dash right at the base of both window pillers and totally poors out right above the center sun visor over the mirror which drips dangerously close to my stereo onto the shift bezel.... my floor boards fill up with water and stay soppy for days....fml...how is it leaking into the cab like this and what do I need to do to fix it...the wind is one thing but the water is a whole nother thing...sucks bigtime...I am however impressed at how well the carpet holds up to this...