SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC 300 ECU...Getting Scruuuuuude!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 05:48 AM
tshawn63
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry SC 300 ECU...Getting Scruuuuuude!

Hello everyone. Recently my '93 SC300 stopped shifting up to overdrive. Tried resetting the ECU, didn't work. Took it to a "shop" who does not much more than finding these things wrecked and parting them out. Asked them to change out the ECU before doing any transmission work. Was told, "no codes so it must be the tranny." OK'd the work. Changed out the transmission and I still have no Overdrive! Had they just done what I asked, I'd be on the road and NOT out $650. Can anyone tell me which ECU (s) will work for the 2JZGE on the '93 SC 300? Your help is greatly appreciated. Oh, and maybe a REPUTABLE mechanic in the South Florida area?
Just called Lexus and was told $875 for the replacement plus a core rebuild charge.
Attached Thumbnails SC 300 ECU...Getting Scruuuuuude!-img-20120512-00266.jpg  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 06-18-12 at 11:04 AM. Reason: You've already had one thread moved to classifieds, stop posting wanted items in the main forums pls
Old 06-18-12, 08:12 AM
808Sc5spd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe any ecu from 92-94 will work as long as its not marked m/t for the 5 spds
Old 06-18-12, 08:54 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

If you would have searched you may have found my previous thread with the exact same issue - I had overdrive randomly dropping out.

The capacitors in my ECU were blown out the bottom, not the top. I had to realllllllly look to find the goop.

I had zero codes, and no issues other than O/D randomly disengaging and/or not engaging at all.
Old 06-18-12, 08:58 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get it rebuilt... got my sc400 ecu rebuilt here and it works like a charm zero issues.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ptd/3070941031.html

I personally only paid $250 but that was because i went through someone else who brought it there. i think the going fee is $300-350 and turn around of less than a week + shipping time.
Old 06-18-12, 09:06 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I can replace the capacitors for you, if you don't want to spend that. I've got a spare 92-94 ECU (it actually works with a 95, just causes a hesitation on throttle tip in) I can throw new capacitors in and send that to you, and you can play test your car with it (and if it works, pay for it, or not, whatever). Just pay shipping.
Old 06-18-12, 09:38 AM
tshawn63
Rookie

Thanks to all of you! What a find, this forum! Hopefully, badboi's sale doesn't go through and I'll have the right one by the weekend! If not, I'll be in contact for other options! You guys are great!
Old 06-24-12, 05:39 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy that can look It and if the Ecu needs repairing he could handle that if your still interested I will set a meet up for you guys
Old 06-24-12, 05:54 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Dude,

I feel for you right now. I just went through this hell. I have a 95 SC300 and I can tell you, it's crazy to find a ecu for a good price. I have a 2JZ and I tried putting in a 93 ecu and it worked for a short period of time, but it stalls and shuts off randomly so I didn't trust driving it. Idk, i seen people use other year ECUs without a problem so idk. I just let the car sit until I found a computer.

I had my ECU sent to a place in Miami, and they said my core was fried and the whole ECU was useless. Being useless, we of course had to buy a rebuilt for a higher price. A rebuilt A/T 45 ecu for the 95 and in all it was $650, (including a tune-up). The spark plugs hadn't been changed in mad long. She drives like a dream now

A bunch of people had told me that I could use the previous years ECUs and I went through about 2 or 3 different ones and they all made me stall at the worst times. I was also bull****ted by this stupid mechanic in Orlando on Old Winter Garden Road who told me that in all, it would cost me 2-3 grand to fix Lexi. They were like how my tranny is gone and I have various vacuum leaks.

My dad is a mechanic and vehicle inspector, but he doesn't have experience on Lexus vehicles. Thank god my dad knew though cause some mechanics in Florida try to **** people over just for profit.

Anyways, thought I'd tell you my story dude. Sorry I can't be much help, I'm a newb to the SC world but this is something I went through just recently. hope you get yours fixed soon. Nice car btw.

Bad95, what are the prices on the ECUs that you can get? LOL wow I'll be so pist if you coulda cut me a deal.
Old 06-24-12, 06:07 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

I don't rack Ecu to resell..
I just happen to swap a few motors and the Ecu came along... Lol
But I had a Ecu that wasn't completly fired but it had something messed up which caused the 5th injector to stay open which caused a misfire and flooded my cylinder walls which cause the motor to go into hydro block smh the **** was a domino effect!

But I came out like 200 to have it repaired

after spending 400 at lexus to tell me they don't know wtf is wrong and 500 at another shop just to let it sit there and bake in the sun.. And let's not forget to daily oil changes because gas and oil kept mixing and turning the oil into basically water (what a ****ing nightmare reliving that memory)!!
Old 06-24-12, 06:16 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Well damn.

I know nothing of what you're talking about. But ok. LOL. Sounds like hella trouble though. At least you came out of that experience knowing more than you did b4. Was that your only car at the time?

And damn, I thought you had like a bunch of ECUs to sell. I have my burnt out ECU in the trunk of the car for no reason.

And jesus christ, I know how you feel about that. Its so hard to find a place that has a scanner for these cars.

You know one thing I don't get? Why does 95 say that it's a 95 SC300 but the door says it's a 94. I don't understand, and my bad if that's a dumb question .
Old 06-24-12, 06:28 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the car was made in 94 to be sold in 95.....

and just get the ecu rebuilt it will save you time, money and a headache.
Old 06-24-12, 06:36 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

oh. LOL. thanks for explaining dude. Someone told me it was a 95 but the body style was a year off, wth.

Mine couldn't be rebuilt, but she's all fixed.
Old 06-24-12, 06:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

not sure why you would replace the tranny just because your o/d wasnt kicking in

the place that swpped out your tranny is responsible for the wrong diagnostics, it might not be easy but they should re imburse all or part of your money, keep calling them and harassing them until they give in.

I despise most auto mechanics because they are notorious liars and crooks , dont take any **** from them.
Old 06-25-12, 10:19 AM
SPLiFFY
Driver

I agree with *****.

You should be able to be reimbursed because that was a complete waste for you, specially when mechanics always give people the run around. If I were you and they don't give in, I'd get the BBB involved.

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-25-12, 10:21 AM
tshawn63
Rookie

1willy1, I'm harassing them everyday...told me it had to be the tranny because they got no codes. Thanks for the support!

Bad954Boi, awaiting the meet! Still interested cause I'm still in lower gears.

spliffy, sorry you had the same troubles. hella headache!

techgreek, I need your help! thanks!

iridebmx, where did you have it done?

Quick Reply: SC 300 ECU...Getting Scruuuuuude!